Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 12-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
PDHorror

Default Emulation on PSP, Please help

Hi,

I don't own a PSP, but I am thinking about getting one, just to run emus on it. Can somebody please give me or point me to a link for a detailed guide from start to finish on how to do this, from installing modded firmware to installing emus. Don't worry, I have roms, so not requests for those.

I don't want to brick the thing, so if you can help me, it will be most appreciated. Also, can you tell me what things I'll need (cables, memory sticks, etc) that I'll need, what comes with it and what I'll need to buy. Also, I would like, after I get emus running, to hook it to a TV sometimes.

I know it is a lot to ask, but I figured a request for one big guide (which may already be around) is better than a Billion little questions.

Like I said, I know nothing at all at PSPs, so start me from scratch.

Thanks
PDHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
Samishiikugutsu

I'm still trying to figure out the emulation thing myself but i can tell you what youll need to buy if you buy a psp.In addition to the psp you'll need to get a separate memory stick and a usb cable(if you don't have access to a wireless network)btw the psp has a unique usb port so youll need to remember that if you buy one.
Samishiikugutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
toasterhed

You will need a memory stick and you'll need a USB cable that has a "Mini-B" connector on one end and a "Standard-A" connector on the other on it as well. Plug them into the appropriate places on your PSP and PC.

From the PSP go to the top of the settings list and then select "USB Connection". Your PC should detect a new "Removable Disk Drive" that you can then access.

Then format the memory stick. In order to use it on the PSP you need to.

Put the files into whatever folders you see fit. You could make a folder called RIN (for example the RIN emulator) and put your emulator in there. Then make another for your GB/GBC games, etc.

When your done with your work you'll need to press X to exit the USB mode. The disconnect the PSP from the PC. Other than that, should be fairly simple. The places you need to connect the USB cable should be obvious. So hopefully I won't have to explain that.

The only one that I know anything about is RIN. And that one is easy to install too. All you have to do is create a folder on the memory stick for RIN and one for your games. Then navigate from your HOME screen on your PSP to the folder RIN is in and run it. That will at least give you Gameboy and Gameboy Color. RIN does have an English FAQ on their site.

At any rate here is a link with some DLs of emulators designed to work with the PSP. Several of them were made by Japanese teams that may or may not have English FAQs, etc. (or worse no homepage links) RIN does, but I have noticed with others this is not so. So, good luck to you.

Check them out if you haven't already. And if there are FAQs for them by all means PLEASE READ THEM.

Emulators for the PSP

I have no idea about firmware needing to be modded? Anyone know what he is referring to?

Last edited by toasterhed; 01-04-2009 at 11:32 PM.
toasterhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
jdev

Make sure you don't buy a PSP 3000 (AFAIK, they can't be modded yet). If you buy an old, used fat PSP, you might manage to get one with a low enough firmware that you won't need a Pandora's battery, although getting/making one isn't a bad idea. The Pandora's battery is necessary for OFW above 3.50 (or 3.50 and above?), otherwise there are a few other tricks to downgrade that don't require the special battery.

You might find a PSP on craigslist that has CFW on it, and it's relatively easy to check: move the selector over to the left until you get to the settings list, then select "System Settings" and hit X, then move down until you see "System Information" and hit X again. Custom firmware will say something like OE or M33 after the x.xx for firmware rating. Also, if the PSP can actually play an emulator, it (probably) has CFW on it.

Playing an emulator is relatively simple, just put the folder for the emulator in either the GAME or GAME150 folder, and it will probably work. But it's the sort of thing that usually takes me half a day to figure out, even though I've put several emulators on already. Computers are rather persnickety.
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote