Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
Rattlehead

Default Helps me with teh iPodz!

I recently had to COMPLETELY reinstall Windows onto my computer. I decided that Vista is a load of shit, so I downgraded (read:upgraded) to Windows XP. If I install iTunes and sync my iPod (it's a 6th Gen--Classic) will all of my songs and videos be deleted off of my iPod? I've got a crapload of stuff on there; hardly stuff that I want to lose.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
ToastyCheesy

yes, unfortunately, your ipod can only register with one itunes to "sync"
and will most likely see this newly installed copy as a... well... new copy.

Here's a tip though, I'm not sure how to do it, but where ever you go to change ipod settings in itunes, you can make your ipod a mass storage device, then you can sync it with ANY player...regardless if it's the same one or not.

ugh, i hope that's right. i was doing guess work on a friend's ipod because he wanted to use WMP and he told me that it worked setting the ipod as mass storage.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
(wraith_)

In my experience, it asks and says "this iPod is synced to a different library."

You'll get an option to transfer purchased music to the new library, if memory serves.

Also, you can enable it as storage device, open the drive in Windows Explorer, and you should be able to drag and drop any non-DRM music directly into iTunes.

If I recall correctly.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
rickz0rz

If you're not using DRM'd music....

Download a program called SharePod. It lets you recover all the content from your iPod. While simply dragging and dropping all the files from the iPod will kinda work, SharePod will actually organize the music for you much closer to how iTunes organizes it.

If you don't use SharePod, all your music will be (4 letters).mp3 or aac -- and those are, I believe, in the hidden folder iPodControl. I always say screw it and just use SharePod to recover the music.
rickz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
(wraith_)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickz0rz View Post
If you're not using DRM'd music....

Download a program called SharePod. It lets you recover all the content from your iPod. While simply dragging and dropping all the files from the iPod will kinda work, SharePod will actually organize the music for you much closer to how iTunes organizes it.

If you don't use SharePod, all your music will be (4 letters).mp3 or aac -- and those are, I believe, in the hidden folder iPodControl. I always say screw it and just use SharePod to recover the music.
If you have "Let iTunes organize my music" checked off in the options, any music file with ID3 tags you drag and drop into iTunes will automatically be copied to your library in a directory based on the artist and album title.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Rattlehead

Yeah, all of my music is non-DRM'd and encoded in Apple Lossless. I have no clue if the latter will effect my chances of success, but I'm guessing DRM will.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
ToastyCheesy

I believe Apple lossless = just a fancy name for aac
Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
(wraith_)

AAC is a lossy compression (i.e. random data is tossed out irretrievably to lessen file size--i.e. the audio quality is permanently damaged). MP3 is another form of lossy audio compression.

ALAC is lossless compression (the file size is lessened without compromising audio quality). Other examples of lossless audio formats are FLAC and WAV (although WAV isn't really compression, to be honest).
Old 09-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #9
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by (wraith_) View Post
AAC is a lossy compression (i.e. random data is tossed out irretrievably to lessen file size--i.e. the audio quality is permanently damaged). MP3 is another form of lossy audio compression.

ALAC is lossless compression (the file size is lessened without compromising audio quality). Other examples of lossless audio formats are FLAC and WAV (although WAV isn't really compression, to be honest).
Wait...a lot of my music was originally in MP3 format, and I kept getting audio clipping when the volume was turned up. Me, being the audiophile that I most proudly am, was rather annoyed by this and decided to convert my entire library (400 or so songs, mind you) into a lossless format, just for the hell of it. Surprisingly, I get no audio clipping now, even when the volume is maxed out.

I'm now posed with another question. Could audio clipping (see here for definition) qualify as "permanent damage to audio quality"?

Ah, one more thing. Is the fact that WAV is uncompressed raw audio data, as mentioned by Wraith, the reason that the files are so damn huge?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
ToastyCheesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Ah, one more thing. Is the fact that WAV is uncompressed raw audio data, as mentioned by Wraith, the reason that the files are so damn huge?
Indeed.
I've experimented with recording in Wave 24 / 96, it easily took up 1 GB for just 40 minutes