Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 04-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
pipes

Default windows 8

so who is going to get windows 8
it looks like rumors are true with the office ribbons UI. I just might pass, but I question with the fact that 7 still new and XP still being transitioned to 7 for alot of businesses and home computers, what is the point of 8 other then to make money and piss on people with the ribbons?
I really hope people start the move with me when I go to a debian desktop. I don't want to be alone

I think this could happen if EA started to release games for it.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
chiefmonkey

I'm quite sure there will be a hell of a lot more to it than the Ribbon UI in Windows Explorer. Apparently, I'm alone, but in MS Office, I quite enjoy the Ribbon UI.

You won't be alone in using Linux, millions of people have been using it for YEARS.
chiefmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Cornellius

January 2012 : Windows 8 Beta
April 2012 : Windows 8 RC
July 2012 : Windows 8 RTM
October 2012 : Windows 8

There's still plenty of time to wait.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmonkey View Post
I'm quite sure there will be a hell of a lot more to it than the Ribbon UI in Windows Explorer. Apparently, I'm alone, but in MS Office, I quite enjoy the Ribbon UI.
I can't stand it. options everywhere, takes up screen space, clashes with the other UIs from other apps designed around the original file, view, ..., help bar. I had to copy over mspaint from vista over to 7 because of it.

Quote:
You won't be alone in using Linux, millions of people have been using it for YEARS.
Yes I know. And it has me excited! I think the world will eventually switch over, it's just a matter of time! I love the idea of freely distributed, open source, OS with dev tools.
I think it should have always been that way. I feel that an OS and tools to do stuff with your computer should be free like that (both free as in freedom AND beer) with the dev team around it is the community that uses it. While the apps that go with it can be closed and for sale. I think that's totally fair.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
VT-Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmonkey View Post

You're not alone, I actually like the ribbon a lot. In Office, it worked well since it cleaned up the toolbar mess that came before it. In applications like Paint and Explorer I don't see the practicality though. If the application's UI is already relatively simple adding the ribbon UI seems to be more for aesthetic than practical purposes.

As far as Linux is concerned, I think it has a long way to go before it becomes viable as a desktop OS. There are a lot of Windows applications that still don't have any quality alternatives on Linux, gaming is pretty much non-existent and even basic services like Netflix streaming aren't supported. In terms of just general user-friendliness Linux is still about 10 years behind the curve.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
D--

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-Vincent View Post
gaming is pretty much non-existent
You're saying this on an emulation site?

Really?

I mean, fucking really?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
VT-Vincent

To 99.9% gaming public, "gaming" refers to mainstream modern games which usually only see releases on Windows and occasionally on OS X.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
kaluce

actually, I agree with VT, Linux still has a lot of little issues here and there. not all of them are game breaking, and I will tell you that Ubuntu has made significant strides in desktop Linux ease of use in 5 years than the entire community combined, but they are still at least another 5 years away. you need support for business critical protocols and easier ways to manage things without dropping to the command line. on a modern desktop system, unless you're a dev. there should be no reason to have to go on the command line. ever. having to remember mount commands, UUIDs, and flags is not something that the techo inept is going to want to deal with. hell I'm lucky if i can get a user to read whats on the screen instead of seeing nothing but an error box and calling me.

Anyway, once Linux starts commanding more than 1% market share, and more like 15% you'll start to see modern games on it. once you start getting the games, the rest will fall into place, and by that time, hopefully people will have their shit in order when it comes to desktops.
kaluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
Goku

Kaluce,

I am not so sure about that. If corporations go to Linux on the desktop, you may find a shift to the home user. Right now, the corps like Microsoft because they pay ridiculous licensing costs and can call them if something is wrong and get support. The average user is familiar with that although they are starting to shift to apple a little bit.

Linux..not so sure about that. There are some support companies, but i do not know how much faith the IT world has in these support companies.
Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
(wraith_)

The non-intuitiveness gap (it's a word now, I said it) of Linux compared to Windows/MacOS is a lot narrower than it was in 2000 when I first gave SuSE a shot... For example, it's mind blowing to me how simple Ubuntu is to install and use.

But it still has issues gaping enough to drive a truck through if you wanted to put on the computer of that Aunt or Uncle everyone has. You know. The one that really doesn't want to use computers (and shouldn't, due to ineptitude) but has to because of the society we've made for ourselves (unless you want to go all Thoreau-like and live in a hut in the woods).

Until Linux can do iTunes and Netflix, the public isn't going to embrace it. In my opinion.

Quote:
Right now, the corps like Microsoft because they pay ridiculous licensing costs and can call them if something is wrong and get support. The average user is familiar with that although they are starting to shift to apple a little bit.
Trust me, there are plenty of situations where our sys admins at my work call Microsoft and they have no clue. My machine was the guinea pig for Win7. But sometimes I have to work from a different office, and the other PC's in the office were still XP... Jesus, the problems the Win 7 machine would have after I logged into an XP machine. It would refuse to load my profile which was crazy, because really they were two separate profiles. Microsoft had a technician look at the problem for three months. There was no resolution other than "Upgrade everything to Windows 7."

On your second point, I can't migrate to Apple. First: cost of replacing software. Second, I feel like Apple and Microsoft have had a nice role reversal since the late 90's early 00's. I think Apple is becoming the evil empire doing what they want while Microsoft is starting to more readily embrace standards.