Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
king killa

Default PHP Corrupter

Here's a preview of a new Corrupter I'm working on. It is written in PHP and is aimed specifically at NES roms. It allows you to narrow down changes while playing the game to see what has or has not been changed. After finding the byte responsible for the desired change, you can save your discovery for other users to see.
king killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
Bannanas

Sweet as bro! xD. I will test it out for you soon! Watching your vid right now
Bannanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
The 9th Sage

Yo man, haven't seen you in a while.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
king killa

I've been here and there. How's everything going Ian?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
The 9th Sage

Well...I owe the power company all kinds of money because of someone I let convince me to turn power on for them in my name (my main motivation being it was the middle of winter and fairly cold). Never doing that again, ever. At least they're paying it, but it's still a huge pain in the ass that probably has messed up my otherwise good credit. Just about fainted when I heard about it earlier from a collections agency...(and yes, I know how amazingly stupid it was for me to do that in the first place...hence the 'never doing it again, ever')

Besides that, pretty good. At least that's pretty much the only thing I have to complain about.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
king killa

So, when I decided to start making this, my idea was to create a corrupter that would eventually be as flexible as any others available. I wanted to make it so nice and easy to use that it would become the primary corrupting tool used. Since it saves everything, this would make the data collected by corrupters available to the entire community. The goal was to have a library of data for most NES roms within a couple of years.

Unfortunately I have found out that the way the program currently works makes it illegal for me to host and make public. You see, all of the programming is server side, online. I figured if I allowed each user up to 1MB of storage for 1 file at a time to corrupt, that I would have no responsibility over what they actually upload. If the space is technically theirs, and they give their word that they legally obtained their rom file, then who am I to deny them the ability to upload it and use this program.

What if I put a disclaimer that said it is illegal to upload copyrighted roms, and that the program is intended for public domain roms only?

any ideas?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
InVerse

Chances are, nobody is going to give a shit anyway. Nintendo has been directly notified of sites being hosted on American servers, by well known web hosts, that are distributing ROMs and they're doing absolutely nothing about it. Square-Enix and the ESA were given a list of Square-Enix (Taito & Eidos, as well) titles being pirated on a server in the exact form that the ESA uses to send out it's takedown letters and they didn't bother to use it. Nobody gives a shit about ROMs anymore unless it's for DS or some such.

Assuming the ROM files aren't made publicly available, nobody would know how to send you a proper takedown notice anyway. They can't just say "We think you have illegal files here, delete them." They have to give a specific name and location of the file. (Now, granted, if the ACTA treaty passes, the ESA would be able to get your personal info from your host/ISP without a warrant and then show up and search your house for illegal software, again without a warrant, but for the time being you're safe.)

But to be honest, I can't see an online corrupter being at all useful. I know *I* would never use it and I'm a big fan of corruption.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
I know *I* would never use it and I'm a big fan of corruption.
Then how come you never commented on any of my videos, faggot?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Then how come you never commented on any of my videos, faggot?
1.) I'm a big fan of corruption as a tool of production.

2.) I don't use YouTube.

3.) You embed the Flash version.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
pipes

What are you doing about the emulation side of things? Flash? Did you write the emu, or is it some open source flash emu thing or something?