Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
quattj

Default SPC to midi?

I am working on a game that needs "old sounding" music from newer games. I was recently made aware of a program called GXSCC which lets you play midi files so they sound close to (and depending on the midi file, almost exactly like) 8-bit NES music.

I would prefer to use as authentic music as possible. I have tons of SPC files, and found a program called spc2mid that converts them semi-nicely. Problem is, it makes all tracks grand piano, which don't sound nice when played in GXSCC. So I load them with Anvil Studio to change the track instrumentation, and therein lies the problem. A few tracks opened okay, but the rest pop up in Anvil Studio saying the file has errors and asking if I want to fix them. Normally this is a quick process and fixes broken midis rather well. However, something with the way spc2mid works makes the repair process take.. well, I haven't had the patience to let one repair finish yet. The longest I waited was maybe 20 minutes or so.

I tried a couple of other methods: spctool which gets everything rather nice, but outputs midi tracks based directly on the SNES tracks, so multiple instruments all play on their respective SNES track, making it impossible to set each midi track to a specific instrument.

A combo of OpenSPC to convert the SPCs to ITs, and the l-amp plugin for Winamp to convert the IT to MID. This just makes a huge disaster of a midi file, with the beginning chopped and about a million midi channels with instruments all over the place.

So I am looking for suggestions (or maybe files that have been pre-converted for me :P) on how to do this (convert SPCs to MIDIs), and do it well. Thanks.
quattj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Montie2k
SuperMod and Music Guru

Maybe someone else on the site has more experience at this than I, but you have pretty much summed up all of the methods that I have tried in the past.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
quattj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montie2k View Post
Maybe someone else on the site has more experience at this than I, but you have pretty much summed up all of the methods that I have tried in the past.
Hmm. Well, how about some sort of utility I could run the midi through, more or less to re-save it, so I might be able to open it with Anvil Studio? The files spc2midi creates are musically accurate, I just need to be able to open them to change the instrumentation. I've been searching for a while with almost no luck. Or perhaps there's another utility that would let me change the instruments? As long as the file plays with the changed instruments, it doesn't have to be perfectly formatted, as I will be saving the resulting audio to mp3s.

One of these!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Bodomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattj View Post
as I will be saving the resulting audio to mp3s.
Then why wouldn't you just convert the spc to mp3 to begin with?
Bodomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
quattj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodomi View Post
Then why wouldn't you just convert the spc to mp3 to begin with?
As I said in my original post, I am using GXSCC to play the final midi file so it sounds like a NES file. I suppose if there were some way to hack the SPC easily and change the sound samples to NES-like sound samples, that might work too, but I think it would be a much more difficult process?

So at the moment, I need midis of spcs that I can play with GXSCC to save to a wav to convert to mp3. Whee!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
quattj

Hmmm, seems I may be able to (sort of?) use spc2midi. It does let me change instruments, albeit in a rather convoluted manner. The few tracks I have been working with today though actually sound quite decent played in GXSCC using
AAA2 47 LOW-MID TOM
A406 45 LOW TOM
853A 74 FLUTE
5987 21 REED ORGAN
50BD 33 ACOUSTIC BASS
5000 20 CHURCH ORGAN

It seems the addresses between tracks in a single game do stay the same. After some more tinkering, these may also be good:
EB5B 21 REED ORGAN
E6B7 35 ACOUSTIC BASS DRUM
D361 38 ACOUSTIC SNARE
C977 36 BASS DRUM1
946A 45 TREMELO STRINGS
8A5C 7 HARPSICORD
853A 71 BASSOON

So a similar/related question: Is there any sort of list of what "instruments" different games use? I know they don't have fixed instruments because game developers can use whatever sounds they darn well feel like, but it would be easier if I had a list of what my best bets were to choose from. I'm mainly interested in several Konami titles.

Last edited by quattj; 09-13-2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: fiddled around with more tracks, figured more out