Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
UchihaAssassinX

Default how can i play these 2 games on my dreamcast

hello everyone

im kinda new to this kinda thing as you can probably tell so i was wondering if anyone could tell and walk me through step by step on how i could Resident Evil 3:nemesis and/or resident evil 2 working on my dreamcast in the simplest and best way possible.

i could never get a hold of these games while i was younger and would really love to get these working normally on my dreamcast any and all help will be really appreciated.
UchihaAssassinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
schmocke

Hi there.
First of all, you gave us a little less information.
I suggest you have the games on your harddisk, ideal as a selfboot *.cdi image-file!? If so, you just have to burn them to a standard CD-R. Choose the RAW-writing method and you are done, your Dreamcast should read them fine. A good program to do this is Alcohol 120%.

regards, schmocke
schmocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
The 9th Sage

Truth be told, the easiest way is to buy them from eBay.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
schmocke

Talking

Truth be told, to reference his question: Hook your Dreamcast up to your TV, put the game inside and play!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Truth be told, the easiest way is to buy them from eBay.
I guess you have a different definition of easy than I do. Having to enter into financial risk in order to obtain a copy of a game that may or may not work doesn't seem entirely easy to me.

OP: Do a Google search for the games you want along with words like "download" and/or "ROMs" and you should find them easily enough for download. Most Dreamcast games on the web are self-booting, which means that you don't need to do anything to your Dreamcast to play them, just burn them to a CD (not a DVD) and pop them into your system.

A majority (but not all) self-booting Dreamcast images are in the Disc Juggler format. You can use either Disc Juggler or Alcohol 120% to burn them. (I use Alcohol 120% because you don't have to crack the free demo, just change the date on your computer to a date earlier than the expiration date and it works just fine.)

Now, it's against the rules to tell you where you can get games, since it's illegal to download them, but if you look at the sticky posts on this very forum, you'll find the address of a site that contains both of the games you're interested in.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is that some of the games will have audio downsampled or some video cut out, so that the games will fit on a single CD. The readme file that comes with the game will explain exactly what modifications, if any, where made.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
UchihaAssassinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
I guess you have a different definition of easy than I do. Having to enter into financial risk in order to obtain a copy of a game that may or may not work doesn't seem entirely easy to me.

OP: Do a Google search for the games you want along with words like "download" and/or "ROMs" and you should find them easily enough for download. Most Dreamcast games on the web are self-booting, which means that you don't need to do anything to your Dreamcast to play them, just burn them to a CD (not a DVD) and pop them into your system.

A majority (but not all) self-booting Dreamcast images are in the Disc Juggler format. You can use either Disc Juggler or Alcohol 120% to burn them. (I use Alcohol 120% because you don't have to crack the free demo, just change the date on your computer to a date earlier than the expiration date and it works just fine.)

Now, it's against the rules to tell you where you can get games, since it's illegal to download them, but if you look at the sticky posts on this very forum, you'll find the address of a site that contains both of the games you're interested in.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is that some of the games will have audio downsampled or some video cut out, so that the games will fit on a single CD. The readme file that comes with the game will explain exactly what modifications, if any, where made.

and here is me thinking that i would have to spend hours extracting all the files i needed but that seems simple enough and i agree ebay aint worth the risk of being scammed so all i should need is to download the files from here (obviously not on forums) follow these steps and play like crazy lol just hope i can still find disc i had prepared.
UchihaAssassinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
schmocke

...find the disc you have prepared!? - There is nothing to prepare. All you need is a Dreamcast game image (unpacked usually *.cdi), Alcohol 120% and an empty CD-R.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmocke View Post
...find the disc you have prepared!? - There is nothing to prepare. All you need is a Dreamcast game image (unpacked usually *.cdi), Alcohol 120% and an empty CD-R.
Not everybody keeps a stack of CD-Rs handy. (A friend of mine's family has 3 computers connected to broadband but never have any blank CDs around whenever I'm trying to do work for them.) I presumed by "prepared" he meant set aside for the purpose.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote