Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Kanashii

Question Can't Play VBA - Unsupported File?

I was told about VBA by one of my friends last night at his birthday party.. I saw him playing on his laptop and thought it looked pretty neat.. So I decided I would give it a shot. I'm decent when it comes to understanding computers.. but for the life of me, even looking up tutorials on VBA makes me VERY.. confused.
SO... Maybe I'm just doing this wrong, or maybe it was the sugar crash at 12:27am trying to figure this blasted thing out, but I can't seem to get it to work for me.
The problem isn't in downloading VBA.. for the most part I think I've done that correctly. Its on my desktop, I can open it.. go into it, and everything. The problem is -- I can't seem to get the games I want to play.

For example: I downloaded Dude, Where's My Char?
[URL="http://www.zophar.net/hacks/gb/pokemon-blue-edition/dude-where-s-my-char-.html"]http://www.zophar.net/hacks/gb/pokemon-blue-edition/dude-where-s-my-char-.html[/URL]

--A game my friend had on his computer--As a test to see how everything worked. I downloaded it, placed the zipped file on my desktop.. then did as one of the tut's told me--drag and drop on top of the VBA screen.. now it should play.. yes? However it says things like "No Images" Or "Unsupported File" And after downloading a few other games.. even unzipping the folders and trying that way... still nothing.

Is it simply not working because I'm making a simple mistake? Or did I screw up big time somewhere and need some special help?

-Confused Kanashii
Kanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Lillymon

I believe that's just an IPS file, you have to get the original Pokemon Blue ROM and apply the IPS file to it. ROM requests are not allowed at this forum though, so you're on your own for that. As for the ISP file, I think we used to have a tutorial of some sort about them, but I've no idea now.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Kanashii

Well at least I get it now. I'll have to go look up the ROM and get back to you.(this thread)--if I have a problem or get it to work correctly.

Thank you Lillymon.. <3
Old 08-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Kanashii

Alright. I'm guessing this is a ROM.
I downloaded it correctly.. drag'n'drop the sucker onto VBA screen and.. the black screen turned gray! :O
It jumps from 4% to 37%,99%,100% then all over the place in % pretty much.
Is this supposed to happen? Or did I do something else wrong?
In one of the tut's I read... it said something about it loading instantly.. so.. I'm guessing I did something wrong.

EDIT-- Ahh.. also when I go to "Recent" It is there.. yet it says at the bottom of the screen when I click it "Loaded Battery"

If that helps?

Last edited by Kanashii; 08-05-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
The 9th Sage

what is the extension of the ROM (assuming you are playing a black and white Gameboy game, it should be .gb)? I can tell you that 'Dude, where's my char?' is a ROM hack, and as such is probably an IPS patch file. You would take the original ROM (in this case...Pokemon Blue?) and apply the patch to it using something such as the utility LunarIPS (which you should also be able to find on this site).

Patchers are here. I do recommend LunarIPS. Assuming you are on Windows, anyhow.

*edit*
Oops, Lilly already said some of this stuff. :P

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 08-05-2008 at 05:06 PM.
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
Rattlehead

I thought most emulators nowadays supported auto-IPS patching?

About the % jumping all over the place:

Go to the "Options->Frame Skip" menu. If "Automatic" is checked, uncheck it. This does jack shit, in my opinion...it just makes skipping worse. Make sure "0" is checked, then go into the "Throttle" menu and make sure "No Throttle" is checked. If it still seems to be fucked up, then PM me and I'll tell you all of the settings I'm using. I've been able to play Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Golden Sun w/out skipping, so I'm positive my settings'll work.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Xeon3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
If it still seems to be fucked up, then PM me and I'll tell you all of the settings I'm using. I've been able to play Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Golden Sun w/out skipping, so I'm positive my settings'll work.
They might work, but they might also make the game run slow depending on his\her machine specs. Those two settings speed up gaming but only in PC's that would run them smoothly without them.

Those were the days...
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeon3D View Post
They might work, but they might also make the game run slow depending on his\her machine specs. Those two settings speed up gaming but only in PC's that would run them smoothly without them.
It's a given that you shouldn't try to emulate newer-gen games on an old machine. I'm playing on a laptop that's got 384 MB of RAM and a 1.99 GHz processor.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Razmaster G

Default Problems with VBA

Okay I've got the ROMs but for some reason my Visual Boy Advance isn't letting me play Pokemon Emmerald,Ruby or Sapphire :S It will let me play pokemon Bue,Red, Yelow and Crystal :S is there something wrong?

Oh and btw when I say it doesn't work I mean it shows a white screen and does nothing else

if anyone knows what to do please tell me what I'm doing wrong
Razmaster G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmaster G View Post
Okay I've got the ROMs but for some reason my Visual Boy Advance isn't letting me play Pokemon Emmerald,Ruby or Sapphire :S
Wait, what system were those ones for? They don't ring a bell for some reason...are they Gameboy, Gameboy Color, or GBA?

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote