Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Rattlehead

Default Megadeth

I felt like discussing my most favorite band ever: Megadeth.

Anyway, recently, there was a contest held where the winner got to spend I believe a day with Dave Mustaine, Megadeth's lead singer. He's actually pretty much the essence of Megadeth, being a co-founder and member since '83. The contest winner was some 14-year-old, and this is one more reason why Dave is teh awesomeness. This is a letter from the kid's dad thanking Dave.

Quote:
To All: This is Justin's Dad again wanting to say "THANK YOU" from the bottom of My family's and Justin's heart!

First to Dave Mustaine of Megadeth: My Family and I couldn't have been any luckier than we were to have participated in what I am considering a life changing event for one 14 year old kid. Justin was pure awe struck with how you could play that guitar and the rest of us were in pure AWE of how good you were with Justin. Justin really listened to you on how you were helping him with the tabs of the songs. Once we arrived back at the hotel after the sessions, Justin pulled out that amazing instrument and said watch Dad, Justin started playing the intro to Syphony of Destruction and already was improved with what you had taught him. The chords were clearer now and I could really understand what he was playing. Thank you for that Dave.
I was so proud of how you took my son under your wing that night and really intently were there helping him, as if no one else was in the room, even though, it was filled with people taking pictures and watching, it was just you and Justin, playing together. I had high respect for you with all your accomplishments over the years, but more so now for you as a person and a father. Dave you were so down to earth, that I was so blessed to have seen it with my own eyes. You hear of so many stars these days that are caught up in there own egos, that they would not have given Justin the time, or took the time to really teach him something, but you did, and for that I want to say thank you!
Also, when you were being interviewed on stage, you looked down at Justin, called him your friend and interacted with him on that stage. It truly showed what a class act Dave Mustaine really is. It was all that Justin talked about after that. Again, thank you for showing this family, that in fact, good people really do exist in this world, and for anyone who is reading this, Dave Mustaine is one of them.
To that kid who was so rude to Dave during the interview, I hope you are reading this too, SHUT YOUR MOUTH, LEARN SOME RESPECT and let the man SPEAK!
Dave, I feel that I need to tell you Thank You also for what your music did for me while I was on tour in Afghanistan (with the Nevada Army National Guard for which I am still a member of) for the '05-'06 Campaign for OEF 6. On Sept 25, 2005, I lost 4 of my close friends in a Helicopter incident where they were shot down. In that time of grief and need, I played "A Tout le Monde". It made me feel what they might have been feeling in there minds at the times of their death, and I know it is what I will feel at the time of my death. Definitely a song that is amazing to me in a true life experience, that truly took place in a not so friendly world that we were put into. All of your songs have meaning, if people would just take the time to read the lyrics and think about the life experiences in the words that are written. I just wanted you to know what one of your songs meant to this soldier, it meant a lot and helped me through a tough time. Thank you for that Dave.
Also, thanks for your continuing support of our troops and my friends. Hopefully they can all come home soon.
Also, thanks to Traci, Nicole, and your bodyguard for being as nice as they were. It meant a lot to us.
In closing, Thank you for giving Justin the chance to meet you. It meant the world to him, more than you will ever know. I will email live nation with video updates on Justin's progress for you to see. It is truly amazing what you did for that boy, you have given him a confidence that he will cherish for a lifetime to come.
Second to Live Nation, Sara, Tammy and all the staff (sorry I can't remember everyone's name) that we met who put on such a promotion, Thank You! When Justin told me that he had won, I was like ok, great you get a guitar and autograph, but what really transpired, can't even be put into words about this whole experience. Justin was given more than just a guitar, but a chance of a lifetime to truly meet someone that is truly an amazing Icon, Dave Mustaine, who is probably the coolest man on earth in my book.
Sara really stepped up for Justin and our family to totally accommodate us while we were in L.A. We can't thank you enough. From the time we had dinner at the House of Blues, to helping us locate the touristy tours of Hollywood to ensuring that we were taken care of at Guitar Center for the Intimate Sessions with Dave Mustaine. You guys are the best and I really was touched when Tammy came up to tell me that they were buying Justin an AMP for him to have. I started to break down, because the overwhelming emotions that I had for this whole experience really began to catch up to me. You guys have completely given this kid from Reno, the chance of a lifetime and I was so very blessed and proud to have been a part of it, that you can't even imagine what this will do for him. Way more than I ever expected or could have hoped for this boy. I know that I could not have given him these tools to help him with his music, but you guys at Live Nation, allowing us to be there and receive such a gift, is so very amazing. Thank you from the Seagraves Family! We really mean that!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE!!! JUSTIN, MYSELF and MY FAMILY CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!

All our best,

Ron, Angela, and Justin Seagraves
I would kill to be that kid.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Xeon3D

That's a nice story, but still I don't think that just spending a day with a same-sex human (being he whoever he is) would be enough motive to kill.

Anyways, I was never much into Megadeth. More of a Metallica fan myself, and I'd actually hate to be near them (the only live gig I attended where they were playing, I actually left the precint before they started).
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Cornellius

Yeah, I like both Metallica and Megadeth. Am I the only one who loved "Risk" ?

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Ugly Joe

VH1 used to air this show "Rock and Roll Jeopardy". It's exactly what it sounds like. They had Dave on the show once and he dominated. I've gotta find that episode somewhere. It was epic.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
ToastyCheesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
Nah, I've liked that album as well at a time.

I like both Metallica and Megadeth both about the same, It's really funny to see their rivalry.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
Gil-Galad

I've liked Megadeth ever since I heard about their first album being released. The bummer is that I've only been to one concert for the Rust in Peace CD (which was first released as a cassette). Reasons why is because they did not come to my city, had the money but couldn't get a ticket, or I simply did not have the money or the time.

Metallica has simply went downhill, they don't have that underground metal feel anymore. I still listen to Metallica's older stuff and that's it.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
Eh, it's got some good tracks on it. Specifically "Prince of Darkness" and "Crush 'Em". The rest just doesn't sound like Megadeth, save for Dave's voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Joe View Post
VH1 used to air this show "Rock and Roll Jeopardy". It's exactly what it sounds like. They had Dave on the show once and he dominated. I've gotta find that episode somewhere. It was epic.
Youtube. Don't have an exact link, but just use keywords. I used to have it on my iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
I've liked Megadeth ever since I heard about their first album being released. The bummer is that I've only been to one concert for the Rust in Peace CD (which was first released as a cassette). Reasons why is because they did not come to my city, had the money but couldn't get a ticket, or I simply did not have the money or the time.

Metallica has simply went downhill, they don't have that underground metal feel anymore. I still listen to Metallica's older stuff and that's it.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the concerts. Their newest compilation, Warchest, is epic. I recieved it for Christmas, and it's awesome. Eh, I used to hate Metallica due to them kicking Dave (Mustaine) out of the band a long time ago, but then I realized that if they wouldn't have, Megadeth wouldn't exist! I like from the "Kill 'Em All" era to the "Master of Puppets" era.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeon3D View Post
That's a nice story, but still I don't think that just spending a day with a same-sex human (being he whoever he is) would be enough motive to kill.

Anyways, I was never much into Megadeth. More of a Metallica fan myself, and I'd actually hate to be near them (the only live gig I attended where they were playing, I actually left the precint before they started).
Oops! Double post. Anyway...

I didn't literally mean that I would murder someone to be that kid. What band's concert were you at, Megadeth or Metallica? I've got a DVD of one of Megadeth's concerts, back in '92, I believe. Dave Mustaine really puts on a good show for the crowd. Get your money's worth, I guess.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean about the concerts. Their newest compilation, Warchest, is epic. I recieved it for Christmas, and it's awesome. Eh, I used to hate Metallica due to them kicking Dave (Mustaine) out of the band a long time ago, but then I realized that if they wouldn't have, Megadeth wouldn't exist! I like from the "Kill 'Em All" era to the "Master of Puppets" era.
I listen to Kill em All to In Justice For All (that concert in my city actually was kickass). The first Garage Days Revisted I listen to as well. After that, forget it.

I need to catch up and listen to some newer Megadeath, including Warchest, whch I haven't listened to yet.

The story about Dave Mustaine's and Metallica's fallout is pretty confusing and not very clear as to why. I read a lot of articles about it in magazines back in the day before mainstream internet, when the situation wasn't quite over with yet.

I would have to agree about it being better that Dave went his own way, because Megadeth exists. I've always liked Megadeth's music more than Metallica's, even more so since Metallica started getting commercial and laid back. That's not to say that Megadeth didn't have a few tunes that were not corney. Over-all, I think Megadeth has retained that underground feel to metal.

I think I'm going to locate a few CDs and check them out, since I really haven't went out of my way listening to any new metal, as most of it I can't stand now days. I did kind of like the newest (which has been out for awhile now) Iron Maiden CD, after listening to a couple demo tunes.

Last edited by Gil-Galad; 07-28-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
ToastyCheesy

Megadeth is better in the sense that they have stayed the same, despite the large amount of members coming and going the band... last time I checked, Dave Mustaine was the only original member. I get sick of listening to post-Black Album metallica, Their music has really become too... mainstream.

By the way, has anyone checked out their new Death Magnetic Album? they went back to using the first Metallica logo that they used in Kill 'em All. It might be good, they dropped long time producer Bob Rock who has been with the band since the Black Album.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote