Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 01-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
The 9th Sage

And actually, since you use Firefox, if you want to control Javascript you may want to check out the NoScript extension...that way you could turn off javascript for sites that don't really *need* it if you want.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyaMyaMya View Post
I have an older Athlon64, and I don't overclock. I'd rather not risk shortening its lifespan or compromising reliability, it's fast enough as-is(except when loading websites in Firefox that have obscene amounts of Javascript...), and I'm not made of money.
Try getting the 3.1 beta. I believe the JS engine on that one is a lot faster.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
MyaMyaMya

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
And actually, since you use Firefox, if you want to control Javascript you may want to check out the NoScript extension...that way you could turn off javascript for sites that don't really *need* it if you want.
I do use it, but some of the sites that are slowest with Javascript on are...almost nonfunctional with it turned off. Like sites that have submit-less drop-down boxes as a primary means of navigation. *shudder*
MyaMyaMya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
The end result is that whichever browser you're with, you're likely to see further JavaScript speed improvements in the future.
On a related note, being both an Opera and Facebook user, I had hoped Opera 10 alpha would be less sluggish in running Facebook's new scripts (the Opera people said on a support forum that they were looking into that), but Opera 10a and Facebook still don't seem to get along well. (Something is likely screwy with how Facebook's scripts are written. I almost never have trouble in Opera with any other JS-heavy sites.)

Btw, it's interesting how much attention is given to Acid3 compared to other tests: It's surely not accidental that Opera 10a doesn't do enormously better than Opera 9 on a test like the Canvas test suite (I just compared Opera 9.63 win32 build 10476 to Opera 10.00a win32 build 1139 and saw an improvement from 72.8% to 74.1%), but low and behold 10a manages to pass with 100/100 on Acid3.
Isildur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyaMyaMya View Post
I do use it, but some of the sites that are slowest with Javascript on are...almost nonfunctional with it turned off. Like sites that have submit-less drop-down boxes as a primary means of navigation. *shudder*
Aha, well I agree with you there...I hate when sites do things like that when they could do something less intensive that would work just as well.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
D--

I took my EeePC 701 from 630MHz to 1.2GHz. Then scaled it back down to 1GHz. It runs comfortably there with no added voltage and minimal heat.