Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
JadussD

Default Hanjuku Hero SNES DTE hack.

I just hacked a dual-tile encoding system into the game Hanjuku Hero (SNES). I mostly just did it just to see if I could do it, since I don't know Japanese, and the one guy I know who does is going to actually study in Japan, so I doubt he'd have time, heh. Is there anyone working on a translation of this game who would benefit from this? Or anyone who knows Japanese who would like translate this with me, if there isn't anyone who could use this? It's all kana I believe.
JadussD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:40 AM   #2
Ugly Joe

Default Re: Hanjuku Hero SNES DTE hack.

> I just hacked a dual-tile encoding system into the game
> Hanjuku Hero (SNES).

Wow, somebody besides me has heard of this series. I've been working on the NES one for a while (my translator/roommate is very slow at getting stuff done...).
Old 06-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Gideon Zhi

Good job! I just hacked DTE into one of my own projects recently (I use it for almost everything); it's quite amazing how much space you can save with such a simple hack.

Unfortunately, I'm just not interested in Hanjuku Hero, so I'm afraid I won't be taking it off you. Also, one thing you really should be aware of is that the script will be _really_ difficult for whoever decides to translate it; scripts without kanji aren't fun in the best of circumstances, as they tend to be rather vague and context can be tough to determine, but Hanjuku Hero in particular is absolutely packed with puns, jokes, play-on-words and other, similarly funky language mechanisms.
Gideon Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
JadussD

> but Hanjuku Hero in particular is
> absolutely packed with puns, jokes, play-on-words and other,
> similarly funky language mechanisms.

Well, I contacted my friend late last night, and it was kinda bad timing, because he was set to leave for Japan in 5 hours, hehe. He's been studying Japanese for about 8 years or so, first from a tutor, and then in college, and has spent time in Japan. When I told him what was up he offered to translate it in the fall, when he'll be less busy. We both agreed that the game would probably call for a "localization" rather than a straight translation, maybe (carefully!) replacing jokes that make sense in Japanese with ones that will be maybe slightly different, but give a humorous impression in English that would just be lost (like what was apparently done with the game Earthbound). Still, I get the feeling that this game is quintessentially Japanese in character, and I wouldn't want to lose that aspect either, so striking a balance will be difficult. I was reading an article posted on another forum in which translators for Nintendo spoke about translating games between cultures, and how they attempted to not just do a straight translation, but preserve the feeling the text gives to the Japanese when it's played in America, and that might involve changing some things that don't make sense. My friend has a great sense of humor, and is pretty good at writing.

The game won't start to get translated until fall though, so I'll have plenty of time to figure out the rest of the game hacking-wise. This would definitely be the right game to translate from a hacking perspective I think, for someone like me who's never translated a game.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
Gideon Zhi

From a hacking perspective, sure! Go for it! I'll be available in the fall (but not over the summer...) if you have any lingering questions or issues, but given that you've already implemented DTE into the game, I don't think you'll have -too- much trouble.

Don't get me wrong, though - I'm not doubting anyone's literary skills or sense of humor or anything in that respect. My only real concern is with your translator himself, although eight years sounds like it might be enough. My point is that the language in the game itself is very difficult, especially for someone who's non-native, but if your friend thinks he can handle it, then more power to him

Again, good luck with it!
Gideon Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
JadussD

> From a hacking perspective, sure! Go for it! I'll be
> available in the fall (but not over the summer...) if you
> have any lingering questions or issues, but given that
> you've already implemented DTE into the game, I don't think
> you'll have -too- much trouble.

Thanks for the kind words. One thing I would like to ask, is if it's generally safe to use space that's all "0x00" or "0xFF" but isn't at the end of the bank? For instance, the game seems to have vast sections where there's a block of data, after which it's all "0xFF" or "0x00". I hacked a hard-coded pointer to one of the main menus so that I could get the text into another area, as it was sandwiched between two other blocks of data with no room to spare. The area I put it in was all "0x00" which seems safe to me, because it's all "0x00" but am I being too presumptuous? It seems that most of the blank data ends at a nice even number like 7E00...<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by JadussD on 06/17/05 03:19 PM.</FONT></P>
Old 06-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Gil-Galad

FF's are safer then 00's for the fact that sometimes 00's are read and maybe used for BEQ operations or to clear a section of memory.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote