Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 11-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
m_jordan

Default Can someone help please?

Hey I'm new to this site, and I'm trying to get music off of here from a certian videogame or two. The problem is, the music keeps appearing in an unreadable format for my computer (I have a Windows XP). At one point, I tried opening the folder's music and it came up as unplayable. I recently downloaded the Switch Sound File Converter, which has worked on other things, but not this. Any suggestions? Or should I try it on another computer and just carry a flash drive of it over?
m_jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
gutzsant

First of all, is your Windows enabled to see file extensions? If so, make sure that, after extracting the files from the zip or rar archives, the files that you're trying to open show the proper extension (e.g. .nsf, .spc, .psf, etc.)
If they do, make sure you have the proper player or plugin. In other words, you can't open those files with Windows Media Player or any regular player unless you have the proper plugins. If you don't have them, the files won't work.
gutzsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
m_jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutzsant View Post
First of all, is your Windows enabled to see file extensions? If so, make sure that, after extracting the files from the zip or rar archives, the files that you're trying to open show the proper extension (e.g. .nsf, .spc, .psf, etc.)
If they do, make sure you have the proper player or plugin. In other words, you can't open those files with Windows Media Player or any regular player unless you have the proper plugins. If you don't have them, the files won't work.
What plug-in would you suggest for getting that could make these files work? I'm searching through downloads of them, but I'm not 100% sure what one is the right one, or the best one.

Thank you for your help!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
The 9th Sage

The Questions/Suggestions forum is supposed to be more of a forum for stuff pertaining to the website, so moved to Tech Talk.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
gutzsant

Since I don't know what music you are trying to play, I suggest you that you first install Winamp and then Chipamp. You can find Winamp easily. For Chipamp try here:
http://www.chipamp.org/

If you could tell me what system is the music you are trying to play, I could tell you other more specfic players and plugins. And of course, don't forget to extract the zip or rar files before playing the music.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
m_jordan

I got it to play, but now it wont seem to go onto things like a CD, MP3, etc. I'm working on ways to convert it, but I'm having zero luck...keep the help coming? Ha

I'm not sure what you mean by system. If you're talking about where the music's coming from, it's the N64 tracks from Quest64.

As for the transers, Windows Media Player can't pick them up. When I attach my MP3, which is a Sony Walkman 4GB, it wont sync the files or write them onto a CD without popping an error message and saying its closing the program wanting to know if I would like to send an error report and blah blah yeah.... Another program I have is the Swich Sound File Converter, and even though Winamp is able to play them, Swich can't pick them up to convert them.

So is there any way Winamp can fix that? I'll give you whatever more information you need as best I can.

Last edited by m_jordan; 12-07-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Iconoclast

Installing Winamp will suffice.
http://www.winamp.com

To convert them with Winamp you need to have an input plugin that will read music in the USF format. Please install this plug-in to Winamp.
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/148095

When you are able to play the music you're ready for the next step (converting them to whichever format that is available).
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
m_jordan

I can play the music already, I just can't seem to convert it. It keeps saying decoder not found and junk. That plug-in for Winamp above started screwing up my computer bad. I could only open Winamp for a few seconds before it crashed each time. I just need something to convert it with, and that plug-in doesn't seem right. But up top when it plays the music I have, it says Decoder: 64th note v 1.1

But then when i try to convert, it says decoder not found?

Last edited by m_jordan; 12-09-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
gutzsant

There is a known issue with 64th note and recent version of Winamp. In order to avoid crashing, simply disable the visualization bars that appear below the timer of Winamp.
As for how to convert them into mp3, you simply need to play the files as you normally do, but before doing so, go to preferences and in Plug-ins, go to Nullsoft Disk Writer. In there you will find several options to encode your files. Select whichever you want and start playing the files as you normally would do. Once converted, you can play them in any other player without the need of 64th note. Winamp includes the plug-in Nullsoft Disk Writer, so you should have everything needed to convert the usf files into mp3.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
m_jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutzsant View Post
There is a known issue with 64th note and recent version of Winamp. In order to avoid crashing, simply disable the visualization bars that appear below the timer of Winamp.
As for how to convert them into mp3, you simply need to play the files as you normally do, but before doing so, go to preferences and in Plug-ins, go to Nullsoft Disk Writer. In there you will find several options to encode your files. Select whichever you want and start playing the files as you normally would do. Once converted, you can play them in any other player without the need of 64th note. Winamp includes the plug-in Nullsoft Disk Writer, so you should have everything needed to convert the usf files into mp3.
Can you run me through this now? The thing doesn't want to work right with me, and I could use a showing as to exactly what everything needs to be set on. Right now, the music just speeds through each song and wont even play it now

Last edited by m_jordan; 12-11-2008 at 03:07 AM.