Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Emulation News

Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Azul Fria
Ice Queen Zero

Default Beware: Wii System Menu 4.3 is out

Normally we at Zophar's Domain don't report this kind of stuff but looks like the guys at the Big N are making an attempt to kill off homebrew which will be futile since most people are wise to the game and for those who aren't... Here's what 4.3 brings to the table or in this case to the gas chamber.

• Deletes the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, title IDs HAXX, DVDX, JODI, DISC, and DISK.
  • Now uses IOS80.
  • IOS254 stubbed BootMii is deleted.
  • Fixed Bannerbomb less stupidly this time.
  • Added IOS58.
  • HackMii Installer Userland+Syscall IOS exploit removed
  • NANDFS privilege escalation fixed
  • ES_AddTitleFinish now checks the signature (Trucha Bug Restorer and similar won't work anymore)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Videogamer555

I ALREADY have Bootmii installed as both an ISO and as boot2. So I theoretically still have an way to UNDO Nintendo's changes. You see, I can backup the nand onto my SD card, and then if a game disk tries to install something stupid on my system I can just use Bootmii to reinstall my previous nand image, and undo the changes. The problem is then the game disk will just try to reinstall it again, and I don't know how to make games skip the upgrade process. And even more, the new game might need features present in the new upgrade.
Videogamer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
The 9th Sage

Even if you have bootmii, if your boot2 isn't up to date (what is it...boot2v4 now I think?) the update'll overwrite BootMii.

IMHO, the best thing for you to do is to get something like Dop-Mii (from wiibrew.org) to make sure you have all the current IOS (currently they list all but the one for System Menu 4.3, which you're unlikely to need anyway). Just DON'T install a stubbed IOS for an IOS you need...that is, the one for your current system menu.

Then you can probably load the game via GeckoOS. If you don't want to do that you can do what I do and use one of the several apps that can patch the update check out of the System Menu. If you aren't on 4.1, I'd use Dop-Mii to ensure IOS60, a non stubbed one is installed, and then use NUSD (also available on Wiibrew) to download a WAD package of System Menu 4.1 for your region.

You could then install that using one of the several available WAD installers, and you'll then be relatively up to date. Except for the Shop Channel, but you can update that with DOP-Shop, also available on Wiibrew.

As far as patchers, there if I recall options for System Menus 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2. Assuming you're on a 4.x System Menu, I'd recommend StartPatch which (yes) can be had on Wiibrew. Activating the "Block Disc Updates" patch means your Wii will never bother you for an update from a game disc ever again. You'll just need to make sure that every once in a while you check around for new IOS (if a game refuses to load then you'l know you need one you don't have). They're easy to get with something like DOP-Mii or NUSD. That said, you won't need to do that often.

If you've any questions, feel free to ask. You'll be fine since you have BootMii and this is a good way to fix the system should the System Menu get messed up (and updating this way will NOT update the boot2 of your Wii, keeping it intact) but you should still be careful.

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 06-26-2010 at 06:47 PM.
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
The 9th Sage

Oh, I probably should have mentioned also that Team Twiizers has stated they are working on it, so for anyone who installed the update, I'm sure you'll be able to reinstall the HBC sooner rather than later.

Twitter
Old 06-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
InVerse

I thought the official stance of the ZD staff was anti-piracy?
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Hacker View Post
I thought the official stance of the ZD staff was anti-piracy?
So you're considering homebrew piracy now? What exactly are you talking about? Nobody is talking about running pirated Wii games. If you buy a game and run it with the system menu...as you're going to do since that's how the system works normally (and want to retain the capability to run homebrew things) you'll have to work around the fact that it's going to try and update the system. GeckoOS is merely for playing games from other regions (and since it isn't the system menu it ignores updates on the disc), it isn't going to help you play a burnt copy of a game or something if that was what you were talking about.

Actually, it's the pirates who WOULDN'T have to worry about that stuff.

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 06-27-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
InVerse

My assumption was that the anti-piracy stance was to prevent negative attention from game companies. If you go look at what Nintendo has been filing lawsuits over, you'll see that you're far more likely to get in trouble for discussions such as this than you will for distributing ROMs.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
The 9th Sage

Well, actually...we don't have a policy on this stuff exactly (at least that I'm aware of). I've never really thought about this in particular being a problem (it's not like I'm guiding someone on how to pirate Wii stuff) since I can think of many sites that have far more discussion of it than this one (some of which openly speak of piracy) and they're still around...but still, you might have a point.

Well then, what do you all think staffers?

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 06-27-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Lillymon

Nintendo aren't shy about letting people know if they're unhappy about what you're doing. If they're not happy about us discussing homebrew emulation on the Wii, then they can say so. I think trying to pre-empt them on this would be rather hasty.

Besides that, I always took the 'anti-piracy policy' to be more along the lines of not telling people where to get ROM/disc images. I don't see jailbreaking hardware to be in the same moral category, and it really is more a moral than legal issue these days with the ROMs subdomain still sitting there.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
InVerse

It'll be a legal issue soon enough. If ACTA is ratified, jail breaking a piece of hardware will be punishable with jail time.