Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
iceteapeche

Default [PSX- Need help] Serial Experiment Lain translated hacked ISO

Hello everyone,

I've finally decided to -try to- make a translated hack of the psx game Serial Experiment Lain. I know that many have tried before me and none succeeded, but still... It's one of those strange game with no real game play but just a succession of videos and still images with speeches.
Here is the thing :
1) the full audio translation is available <a href="http://psx.lain.pl/"> here </a>
2) What I intend to do is extract the srt files from the ISO (I have an original copy of the game so I could make my own image if needed for whatever reason), redo the srt files with hard subtitles in the videos and replace the srt files in the iso.

Does it look possible to you guys ? I am a software engineer and know quite a bit about programming but I never hacked any game as for today...

Thanks for your help,
iceteapeche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
InVerse

Of course it's possible. Everything is possible. It's entirely possible to hack the original Super Mario Bros ROM into a full 3D FPS RPG. The question is whether the amount of work required to do it is worth the results.

From my limited experience with PSX hacking, what you're describing sounds relatively uncomplicated, but it will all depend on how the files are stored. It sounds like the sort of thing you should be able to try with the very beginning of the game to get an idea of how easy or hard the entire project will be.

The first rule of ROM hacking is "If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet."
Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
iceteapeche

Hey,
thanks for you response.

I've been told to look at jpsxdec to help me decode the videos of the game.

I'll keep everyone posted about how it turns out anyway.
iceteapeche is offline   Reply With Quote