Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 02-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
It would be more akin to translating the thoughts of an autistic Canadian child into language that a Burmese python could understand.
Not to break into the conversation here, but this is one of the best comparisons of anything to anything I have ever seen.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
joshex

LOL! extra lol, thats the kind of comment kryten would make on red dwarf!

but anyways I see your burmese python and I raise you a bablefish;

show me how to decompile all three formats and I'll see what I can/can't do in translating them..

I mean so long as I have them in a source format that I can easily edit in kate or kwrite I'm good..
joshex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
InVerse

Here is a GB/GBC disassembler written for Linux. Both the GB and GBC use a z80, it's just that the GBC's z80 was approximately twice as fast as the original GB's and was able to access more ROM and RAM.

Here is a page with GBA disassemblers, including one for Linux and also one written in Java.

Have at it. If you prove me wrong, I'll provide a YouTube video of myself eating my underwear.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #14
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
Have at it. If you prove me wrong, I'll provide a YouTube video of myself eating my underwear.
I've already seen someone doing this. It originated on the GameFAQs Politics board, after (IIRC) one poster promised to 'eat his boxers' if John McCain lost the US Presidential election. After weeks of bugging, he finally posted a YouTube video of him squeezing some mayonnaise on his boxer shorts and gave them a few good chews. The board populace agreed that was close enough.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #15
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I've already seen someone doing this. It originated on the GameFAQs Politics board, after (IIRC) one poster promised to 'eat his boxers' if John McCain lost the US Presidential election. After weeks of bugging, he finally posted a YouTube video of him squeezing some mayonnaise on his boxer shorts and gave them a few good chews. The board populace agreed that was close enough.
I think it appeared on South Park prior to the election (and I'm sure the bet was made many years prior to that.) However, I will actually cut mine into swallowable pieces and ingest the entire thing.

And the idea of a GameFAQs politics board actually does more to turn my stomach than the thought of eating my own underwear...
Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 AM   #16
joshex

fair enough, now lets see if the GB discompiler written for debian will run on suse without hassle in itself..

oh and i don't plan to hold you to eating your underwear if I should be able to do this..
Old 02-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #17
Sliver-X

Oh, I'd love to see you do what 60 years of computer scientists and engineers could never accomplish.

The GB and the GBA are fundamentally different architectures. You may say "Yeah, they have different CPUs", but that's only the tip of the iceberg. You also have to take into account differences in peripheral hardware such as the video and sound hardware, how it polls I/O, interrupts, what kind of RAM/ROM address space it has and all kinds of fun things that make them extremely different at the hardware level.

I don't think you really have any concept of how a computer of any kind works at its lowest levels. Porting something between systems is hard enough if you have the source code (Unless you use something high level like C), but for what you're talking about doing you would be working with raw machine code. The code will be so disparate between the original and target platform that there's no way you can just automate conversion of it and expect to get anything close to running after it was done.

What you're basically talking about is creating a high level AI program than can figure out how to alter code like a person hand porting it would do. If you can do that, congratulations on being the next Bill Gates.

(Note: I have a degree in Electronics and Computer Engineering.)
Sliver-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
joshex

mm, see what I wanted was not the machine code but the programming statments in each format, and yes if they are written for a different processor the information during gameplay is told to go to different places based on processor. (as you are saying, and I agree with that.)

what I'm getting at here is a simple "replace" script. where the information on things like; where certain information is togo undercertain circumstances in GB, the replace script would read those particular statments and merely replace info with GBA style info..

I don't yet know the style of GB or GBA statements so I can't give an adaquet example.

but no AI needed, no fancy programming just basic; IF "gbstatement" THE REPLACE WITH "=GBAstament".

it can all be broken into programming statments at the end of the day.. and thats what I'm looking for..

but alas I wont even be trying to run the decompiler for a while.. I'm quite sick still, and feel horrible today.. and right now my gums are all... whats the word, I feel like I want to chew on something my gums feel tingly and I can't get rid of it.. and my mouth is watering uncontrollably, and no I'm full.. oh this is torture...
Old 02-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #19
InVerse

Those weren't decompilers that I linked you to, those were disassemblers. If you want the actual source code for ROMs, you'll have to contact the companies that programmed each game and hope that they actually kept the source code (many don't.) You're not going to be able to decompile a ROM into C++ or some such.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:36 AM   #20
joshex

ok.. well then that does it, I can't do it.. I don't know machine code..

but don't emulators have to decompile the ROM's to read them?

if so all we need is a trojan to monitor a decent GBX emulator like visualboyadvanced, see how it reads the files, and dump that info, or the source

but I've never programed solo before, I edit scripts, I can only do something if most of the info is already there.. that way I only have to go searching for a couple commands instead of thousands..