Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Emulation News

Old 01-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Montie2k
SuperMod and Music Guru

Default ANYPLAY for iOS systems released

New member fixel writes in to tell us about ANYPLAY, a music player for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad devices that plays .MOD, .XM, .S3M, .VGM, .AY, and .SPC formats, among others.

Although we cannot host it here on ZD because it is commercially available, you can go to the iTunes App Store to purchase it for $4.99.

Peace,
-Montie
Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
magimog

Pros
-iOS mod player!

Cons
-4.2 requirement
-$4.99 price tag
-boasts 29 formats, yet lists 6

This program is nowhere near as full-featured as [URL="http://yoyofr.blogspot.com/p/modizer.html"]Yoyofr's Modizer[/URL], which supports 400 formats, playlists and can download from excellent databases of demoscene artists AND actual game music composers. And it's 99 cents!
magimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
fixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magimog View Post
This program is nowhere near as full-featured as ...
Alas the full description is not pushed through the store yet, here it is :
Code:
Anyplay let's you play many unusual music formats. If XM, STM, S3M, MOD, AY, VGM or SPC
 reminds you of good old days or rings a "demoscene" then it is for you! The application supports
 background playback and iTunes file sharing. You can just drag and drop files in iTunes. Some
 sample files are available for direct downloads, with more being added daily. The application
 supports 29 different music formats. More will be added upon demand.

Supported formats are:
XM, S3M, AY, GBS, KSS, GYM, HES, SAP,
NSF, NSFE, SPC, VGZ, VGM, 669, AMF, DSM,
FAR,GDM, IT, IMF, MOD, MED, MTM, OKT,
STM, STX, M15,ULT, UNI

The application is highly optimized to for better battery life. The chiptunes (AY,VGM, NSF) are
 implemented using advanced technique that recreates best possible sound, band isolated synthesis
 and advanced filters are used for realistic playback.
I agree, the app may seem little under featured, but unlike many other players, the code is unique and is not based on any existing player, i will add more formats in future updates, but my goal is to create THE BEST sound, and this app is truly plays back with higher quality than any other i've heard so far. That said, it doesn't draw as much current from the batteries! Right now i'm preparing new version, that has SID support, but unlike _ANY_ existing SID player, it sounds natural -- by implementing real SID distortions of the sound (something that never was emulated yet... AFAgK).
I'm in the process of implementing download page that will let you get content in to device, but unlike many other apps, it supports iTunes file share, that is drag and drop your files in iTunes to sync, so you can enjoy music without hassle of mobile browsing.
If you want to try it , PM me for free coupon, but the quantity is limited .

So, to summarize, i'm trying to get best sound for best mobile device...

As for 4.2 only -- well, all new apps are only accepted with new frameworks, besides it's granted you're running 4.2 even on iphone 1.

Last edited by fixel; 01-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.
fixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
fixel

P.S. try to play sample file "turrican 2 intro" in the other app, that you've mentioned . You're getting what you're paying for ... choppy, stuttering sound.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
magimog

Battery life - Well there is a feature that I am interested in! Modizer does seem to drain batteries, likely due to adhering to a plugin standard.

Also didn't know your program was built without plugins!
magimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
fixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magimog View Post
Battery life - Well there is a feature that I am interested in! Modizer does seem to drain batteries, likely due to adhering to a plugin standard.

Also didn't know your program was built without plugins!
Most of math behind the app is hand optimized. No plugins or someone's code being used, aside for zlib, everything else was written from scratch and using a lot of R&D, pretty much as my other app (FreeDO) . You can just compare the sizes of the apps : AnyPlay = 0.8MB vs 39.7MB...
I will introduce better navigation in future versions, but my goal is perfect sound and low resource usage.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Reaper man

Cool, port it to a phone that doesn't suck.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
fixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Cool, port it to a phone that doesn't suck.
name me one. i'm using epic 4g daily, and disapointed by it. i had blackberry before epic, and it's only good for emails - performance sucks. i've had win phone 7 and while it looks cool, it is .net based and it affects performance. iphone has it's own issues, but at least i get decent battery and cpu performance. so to summarize - i don't know of any phone that doesn't suck yet, but once i will find one, i'll get it and port the app. sorry for offtopic.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
InVerse

Well, the obvious one left off of your list would be the Evo or other Android based phones. But Reaperman is just automatically prejudiced against anything connected to Apple because he constantly shit himself to death in Oregon Trail when he was a kid and blames it on the Apple II he played it on.

In *my* personal opinion, any phone that runs apps sucks, so I doubt you'll be writing anything for the phones I like. (The phone I use a majority of the time cost $10 at Walmart and plugs into the wall.)
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixel View Post
name me one. i'm using epic 4g daily, and disappointed by it.
Did you ever try putting a modified build of Android on it? No? Then you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
But Reaperman is just automatically prejudiced against anything connected to Apple because he constantly shit himself to death in Oregon Trail when he was a kid and blames it on the Apple II he played it on.
Actually I liked the Apple ][s when I was a kid. Apple was pretty damn cool back then before it became, you know, gay.