Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Emulation News

Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
Lillymon

Half of the stuff I do on this PC seems to be punishable with jail time. I long since stopped being scared of the possibility because I'd just be perpetually frozen with fear if I did.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
Half of the stuff I do on this PC seems to be punishable with jail time. I long since stopped being scared of the possibility because I'd just be perpetually frozen with fear if I did.
Pretty much this. I doubt the ACTA will have much impact on anything, and if it does, there will be so much consumer revolt, the corporations will rethink and revise. Take a look at the apple DRM debacle. Once consumers said WE WANT TO USE MEDIA THE WAY WE WANT, apple complied and stripped the DRM for itunes. This entire FUD reminds me of Palladium. Remember that? It was the end all be all solution to piracy, copyright infringement, linux, etc etc, but it never happened, because companies knew better. If (big if) the ACTA gets passed, nothing will change, and chances are consumer revolt will destroy corporations to the point where they'll be BEGGING legislators to revise/revoke it.

Either that or it won't really get enforced, just like most piracy that happens.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
pipes

Fuck Nintendo if they do come out and say something along the lines of not talking about something. If a company tells me to shutup without a NDA on me... I say FUUUUCK THEM!

This is also one reason why I really don't have any of the latest consoles and what not (including shit like the iphone). I find it just wrong for a company to screw with something after that someone bought and now owns. It may be in the TOS that they can do that but still wrong and I don't agree to their shit TOS so I don't buy it.
A big major reason that has nothing to do with who owns what is that when the system becomes unsupported it becomes a fucking brick more or less.

(something off subject but still somewhat related)
Fuck you M$ and thinking that I will play for your shit xbox, your shit live, and your shit perfect dark that needs to be connected to live to play 1st player. FUUUCK YOU!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #14
The 9th Sage

Well really, it's not like homebrew is an intended feature, so if they want to get rid of it, it's understandable. They can't really stop anyone for long at this point though.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
Videogamer555

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Even if you have bootmii, if your boot2 isn't up to date (what is it...boot2v4 now I think?) the update'll overwrite BootMii.

IMHO, the best thing for you to do is to get something like Dop-Mii (from wiibrew.org) to make sure you have all the current IOS (currently they list all but the one for System Menu 4.3, which you're unlikely to need anyway). Just DON'T install a stubbed IOS for an IOS you need...that is, the one for your current system menu.

Then you can probably load the game via GeckoOS. If you don't want to do that you can do what I do and use one of the several apps that can patch the update check out of the System Menu. If you aren't on 4.1, I'd use Dop-Mii to ensure IOS60, a non stubbed one is installed, and then use NUSD (also available on Wiibrew) to download a WAD package of System Menu 4.1 for your region.

You could then install that using one of the several available WAD installers, and you'll then be relatively up to date. Except for the Shop Channel, but you can update that with DOP-Shop, also available on Wiibrew.

As far as patchers, there if I recall options for System Menus 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2. Assuming you're on a 4.x System Menu, I'd recommend StartPatch which (yes) can be had on Wiibrew. Activating the "Block Disc Updates" patch means your Wii will never bother you for an update from a game disc ever again. You'll just need to make sure that every once in a while you check around for new IOS (if a game refuses to load then you'l know you need one you don't have). They're easy to get with something like DOP-Mii or NUSD. That said, you won't need to do that often.

If you've any questions, feel free to ask. You'll be fine since you have BootMii and this is a good way to fix the system should the System Menu get messed up (and updating this way will NOT update the boot2 of your Wii, keeping it intact) but you should still be careful.
I downloaded and installed the latest version of Bootmii, so shouldn't give me a problem.

Now the trick will be to play a new game WITHOUT the new system menu being installed. I want to buy and play Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, which will most likely install the new system menu. But if the game asks to install a new system menu I won't know what to do. I could do a couple things:

1, I could let it install the menu.
Pros: The game will work flawlessly.
Cons: I may lose my copy of Homebrew Channel and Backup Channel (which plays actual backup disks supposedly, though I don't have any burned Wii games to test it with).

2, I could let it start to install and then (as I read somewhere on the net regarding another previous update) kill the power to the Wii (pull the plug) like a quarter or half way through the installation of the system menu update.
Pros: I may trick it to think it installed the new menu, but really hadn't (at least not completely) and will be able to play the new game but also keep the hacks I installed.
Cons: If the system update contains GAME CRITICAL updates, I may be stuck unable to play the $50 game I just bought. Or even worse, it may be a partially installed and therefore quite UNUSABLE system menu that won't boot (thus bricking the Wii). The only remedy for that would be to boot from Bootmii (which hopefully still would work) and try to use it to boot the Homebrew channel directly and use that to run a system reinstaller to install the original Official Nintendo system menu completely (if such a system repair homebrew app even exists).
Videogamer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
The 9th Sage

No...really, don't do the power thing. That's risking an awful lot. You could possibly recover it with BootMii but yeah. Like I said before though, the version of BootMii is irrelevant...if you have an older version of Boot2 (which BootMii is installed to) it'll wipe out BootMii when you install any update over 4.2. You'd have to reinstall bootmii after that.

Just try one of the things I mentioned, that'll get around the system asking you to update. Especially since you have BootMii, I feel that's a lot safer.

Twitter
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
Videogamer555

Quote:
No...really, don't do the power thing. That's risking an awful lot. You could possibly recover it with BootMii but yeah. Like I said before though, the version of BootMii is irrelevant...if you have an older version of Boot2 (which BootMii is installed to) it'll wipe out BootMii when you install any update over 4.2. You'd have to reinstall bootmii after that.

Just try one of the things I mentioned, that'll get around the system asking you to update. Especially since you have BootMii, I feel that's a lot safer.
But what if a game in the future NEEDS the update to the system to run correctly? If I've disabled updates, then I'm unable to play that game.
Videogamer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 AM   #18
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
But what if a game in the future NEEDS the update to the system to run correctly? If I've disabled updates, then I'm unable to play that game.
Well actually, when I said the update will wipe it out, I meant if you do it the official Nintendo way. You could download WAD files of the system menu and it's IOS (very important to install first :P) from Nintendo with NUSD and install them 'manually' with a WAD installing program. It's safer to have BootMii when doing this, but there's minimal risk barring some kind of wacky power outage or something. It would also preserve BootMii assuming you don't use Dop-Mii (a good program for obtaining/updating IOS from your Wii) to update your Boot2.

Just stay away from 4.3 for now, since Bannerbomb doesn't work and it'll kill your Homebrew Channel among other things.

Twitter
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
McJockman

Red face

Once I did that I installed 4.3u and now im just waiting for the hacks and homebrew to update....

Quote:
Well actually, when I said the update will wipe it out, I meant if you do it the official Nintendo way. You could download WAD files of the system menu and it's IOS (very important to install first :P) from Nintendo with NUSD and install them 'manually' with a WAD installing program. It's safer to have BootMii when doing this, but there's minimal risk barring some kind of wacky power outage or something. It would also preserve BootMii assuming you don't use Dop-Mii (a good program for obtaining/updating IOS from your Wii) to update your Boot2.

Just stay away from 4.3 for now, since Bannerbomb doesn't work and it'll kill your Homebrew Channel among other things.
My friend tried installing the update, immediately his console shutoff and broke. He turned it on, well, looked like shit. Nintendo is filled with smart people, smarter than all of us, be careful, they hid a few tricks in this update.
McJockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #20
The 9th Sage

Uh, well...dunno what happened to him, but if you're updating it from Nintendo especially it shouldn't mess anything up. If you read what it says on Wiibrew, it's not like they're destroying systems.

Anyway, why did you install 4.3? This whole news post was about how 4.3 would kill homebrew. :P

Twitter