Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Website Talk > Site Questions / Suggestions

Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Ugly Joe

Hmm. Another option is to use Multiple IEs:
http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

Only works with XP, though, and it appears it may not work properly if you already have IE7 installed.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
Edman
Administrator

I know my dad's laptop has IE6, I'll be sure to fix it next time I meet him. Its not really a pressing issue. The site works just fine in IE6 and the small black line isn't really that big of a deal.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
Lillymon

There's also the more fundamental issue we've been talking about in the IRC channel. The design is completely fixed width, so on widescreen displays (like the 1680x1050 one I'm using right now) most of the space goes completely wasted. I'd wager less than half of a maximized browser window is being used at this resolution.

This also applies (though to a lesser extent) to the message board too. There are pretty big borders to the left and right, which seem like a waste. Frankly, this is pretty bad practice in web design. There's no way to tell what people will view your site on, so the design should scale well to fit any resolution, and this design simply doesn't scale at all.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
Ugly Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
There are pretty big borders to the left and right, which seem like a waste. Frankly, this is pretty bad practice in web design.
That's a bit of a general statement and I disagree with it. The fixed vs liquid debate initially came about because people were designing fixed-width sites that required a resolution that was higher than some people had available. The page would not render properly (ie, it needed horizontal scroll bars) and this was a problem. The argument for liquid layout was that it would scale to smaller resolutions. It was about accessibility, not about aesthetic.

Now I see people arguing that every website should take up the entire browser window. I don't see why they need to. I can understand the "waste of space" argument, but I don't see why the webmaster should completely redo their design to satisfy that. If the content being delivered on a site is being delivered entirely as planned and is not causing any kind of accessibility problem for you and your wide resolution, where has the webmaster failed?

However, while I do disagree with the general statement, I do believe it applies to certain layouts. This includes ZD and ZMD's new layouts. The basic three-column layout adapts very easily to a fluid-width and, with as much content as ZD's front page has, it won't suffer from a "wide-content looks like no-content" problem. Forums in general should always be fluid-width as well, in my opinion, since there really isn't a lot of design aesthetic to a forum. It's all about placing buttons in convenient locations and getting as much content to the user as possible.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
Edman
Administrator

OK, the black line is fixed.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #16
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
OK, the black line is fixed.
Indeed it is. Thanks.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #17
Edman
Administrator

About the fixed vs liquid layouts, yes, I agree that a liquid layout would work better on this type of a site, as many times it appears as though the tabular data is "crammed in". I think you know what I mean.

The problem is, the designer I originally hired (who screwed me over) ported a piece of HTML I had written that was for a site with a fixed layout where a fixed layout is the right way to go. So its a fixed layout not by design but because of really not thinking ahead.

I'd really like to upgrade the layout, but I'm a bit burnt out atm. I've spent about 200+ hours of work to upgrade this site in the last 2 months. So I'm probably gonna take a month or so off from programming new stuff. That, and the liquid layout could really wait.

EDIT: oh yeah, if anyone wants to help me, wink wink, I won't stop you from coding the liquid layout and I'll integrate it into the site templates. It has to be no-tables though.

EDIT #2: And the forums layout is liquid. It looks very much wide enough in my 1920x1200 resolution and I wouldn't want it any wider, as it would make lines too long to read. The website's liquid layout would have to be the same, I'd think.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #18
SpaceTiger

Quote:
I'd really like to upgrade the layout, but I'm a bit burnt out atm. I've spent about 200+ hours of work to upgrade this site in the last 2 months. So I'm probably gonna take a month or so off from programming new stuff.
Sounds like it's deserved. Whatever the problems with the new layout, the site is in much better shape now.
SpaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #19
Ugly Joe

Quote:
EDIT: oh yeah, if anyone wants to help me, wink wink, I won't stop you from coding the liquid layout and I'll integrate it into the site templates. It has to be no-tables though.
I can probably have the site converted to a liquid layout sometime next week. I already figured out the CSS changes needed to get the columns to sit where they need to and to have the middle column resize with the browser. I still need to tweak the CSS to get all the paddings and borders and gradients lined up properly. Seems entirely doable, though.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #20
Edman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Joe View Post
I can probably have the site converted to a liquid layout sometime next week. I already figured out the CSS changes needed to get the columns to sit where they need to and to have the middle column resize with the browser. I still need to tweak the CSS to get all the paddings and borders and gradients lined up properly. Seems entirely doable, though.
Alright, that'd be great!