Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
DragonSpikeXIII

Default [PS1]Ace Combat 3 text replacement

Hey guys,

long time lurker, just joined because I'm trying to get this game translated. We have all missions already in English but everyeone who has trying hepling us with the hacking part hasn't been able to put our text in the game.

I'm here to ask for support, is anyone here able to help us? Or do you know someone or another where I could ask for help? I'm also willing to learn hex editing if that's all it takes but I know nothing about this kind of thing, I usually stick to the translating part.

I've seen so many PS1 games translated, I find it hard to believe that this particular game can't have some text replaced.

I really hope someone can help us with this.

BTW We have a blog -Y http://useatoday.blogspot.com/, a website http://projectnemo.net/ and a youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/DragonSpikeXIII
DragonSpikeXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
InVerse

Did you actually extract the script from the game (thus know where the text is located) or did you translate it by playing through the game and translating text as you encountered it?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
DragonSpikeXIII

We found it on a japanese website, it wasn't extracted from the actual game.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
InVerse

Then you're going to have your work cut out for you. Hacking the text in a Playstation game isn't a simple matter of hex editing.

First of all, you have to figure out where the script is located. That can be quite difficult in and of itself. Every game has it's own file system. There's not just going to be a file named "script.txt" that has all of the games text in it.

Once you do figure out where the script is located, you have to extract it. If you're lucky, it won't be encrypted/compressed and will only use simple encoding.

After that, you can't just change all the words to English and shove it back in the game. If the file isn't the exact same size as it was before, which is pretty much guaranteed to be the case when translating from Japanese to English, then you have to hack the game so that it knows where it's looking for the text, and any other files that got moved because of file sizes.

There's also the fact that if the game doesn't already have an English font, you'll have to hack one in.

I'm curious as to where you've seen "so many PS1 games translated", though. RHDN's archive only shows 18 games translated into English and 36 translated into other languages. Out of 2400+ total games, that's not very many at all.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
DragonSpikeXIII

Thank you very much for explaining to me what each step entails.

Our team's lead translator has told me that after taking a look at it with a ROM hacker the game stores its text in image files. And this isn't actually a little short game. He also mentioned that the best way of doing this would be via program that can put our text in these small spaces. The other way would be to edit images manually.

If only we could find someone with the necessary skills and at least some interest in this game or the project, I could take over from the point where text insertion begins.

And yea you're right it's not really a lot of games. I don't know what gave me that impression, I was probably thinking about all games, not just ps1 games.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
InVerse

I seriously doubt all of the text is stored in image files. The *font* might be stored in image files, but it would be highly unusual for more than menus to be stored as images.

If they are, in fact, stored that way, then it should be pretty simple to hack, you'll just need hundreds of hours to do it.

Edit: I just went to download the ISO, just to glance at it (I guarantee I won't have enough interest to spend more than 10 minutes on it) and it appears that the game is already available in English. What's the point of the translation?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #7
DragonSpikeXIII

You must have downloaded the U.S. or PAL version. The original Japanese game spans two discs and has a whole lot more content, like an actual story, characters and multiple paths. It's been severely cut down for international audiences and that is why we're trying to localize the real version of AC3.

Try getting the Japanese, 2-disc version, if you're up to it. I can help you with that if you want.