Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 03-16-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
Rattlehead

Question Mental health

I've been really depressed lately (more so than usual), and I'm just wondering...

How many of you have been diagnosed (by a professional) with any mental health issues, or whatever you want to call them? If you have been diagnosed, what were you diagnosed with? What do you do to help control the symptoms?

For me, I've been diagnosed with various things, by several different doctors. I've been diagnosed with depression, OCD, ODD, bipolar disorder, and Asperger's Syndrome. I take Adderall XR, Wellbutrin XL, and Lamictal. Additionally, I was in rehab from when I was 13 to 15-and-a-half years old (I'm now a month from being 18), and my desire to not go back is a big motivator, as well.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
The 9th Sage

Well. I haven't been diagnosed with anything myself. Occasionally I do wonder if I'm slightly bipolar though.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Well. I haven't been diagnosed with anything myself. Occasionally I do wonder if I'm slightly bipolar though.
For me, it's pretty obvious that I am bipolar. It's less obvious than it used to be, but I still have times where I really struggle with not getting to the point of going berserk on people that don't deserve it.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Well When i was 15 i was diagnosed with OCD. More on the compulsive side. Like alot of ticks and stuff i had to do ritualistically. It was pretty bad, especially in public. The more people, the worse it got.
First they gave me ritalin to help me focus on it, but duh that made it 10 times worse.
Suprisingly, the anti-depressant prozac helped me alot. I took it for about 2 years and it helped me out alot. I've been off of it for about 2 years and It's alot easier to control.
Obviously most meds for this type of thing only help you help yourself. For me, alot of it was finding what triggered the ticks and try to work out ''logical'' thinks to replace the ticks (usuaklly something less obvious) and then eventually associate thoughts with the tick and replace them with that. Then eventually most of them went away, but a few major ones remain.
But it's different for everyone...
Old 03-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
I've been really depressed lately (more so than usual), and I'm just wondering...

How many of you have been diagnosed (by a professional) with any mental health issues, or whatever you want to call them? If you have been diagnosed, what were you diagnosed with? What do you do to help control the symptoms?

For me, I've been diagnosed with various things, by several different doctors. I've been diagnosed with depression, OCD, ODD, bipolar disorder, and Asperger's Syndrome. I take Adderall XR, Wellbutrin XL, and Lamictal. Additionally, I was in rehab from when I was 13 to 15-and-a-half years old (I'm now a month from being 18), and my desire to not go back is a big motivator, as well.
That I know of
Higher-functioning autism "Asperger's Disorder" (eww try pronouncing that?), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and general anxiety disorder
I've got some parts of schizophrenia in me (obviously)--for which one cannot simultaneously be diagnosed with ASD (which instead by my writing style is obviously my infliction). I get thoughts of paranoia as if nature itself turns against me when some really unlucky crap happens (or roughly unlucky but fairly common as if to increase my hostility by rubbing it in that it's not obviously coincidental enough for me to confidently suspect "God").
If in example I learn someone is talking about me I know thoughts of very pessimistic reaction, like I am being attacked. I know it's taken as self-centered-ness, but it's a very negative sensitivity.

Currently I am taking only mirtazapine. This help controls panic symptoms "anxiety" and some depression, but I registered for it only to help me sleep sooner. I used to stay up like 72 hours against my own will (just plain couldn't sleep) and still believe sleep is overrated.

What I want us to summon is that in general: Depression is caused mainly by desire. In instance: Loving someone for who they are frees us of instinctial thoughts of sexual desire and egocentricity. Darkness times for mortals in which we feel hatred/desire/despair (all linked to the same root cause) link to our enjoyment of thoughts of wit/cleverness coming to us naturally...while as humans we seem to do better learning to grow more conscious of our thoughts and subconscious to understand ourselves better and know where we went wrong. Why do we deserve to suffer?

edit I am almost absolutely not bipolar though, I know a girl who so obviously is but wasn't diagnosed, extremely likely she should have been
Bipolar is an important theme in this I think. Following darkness but succeeding we can sometimes feel an anti-depressive sensation of magic, but when spirits such as luck turn down on us we may become depressed.

Last edited by Iconoclast; 03-16-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
D--

I was forced to see a shrink for a while when I was 16. I quit going though before he could get me on any kind of medicine. Basically the problem, as he described it, was manic depression. I go from sustained incredible lows to incredible highs. He wanted to get me on something to "keep me level." But thinking about it and about how I work, that didn't fly with me. That would basically be taking away both sources of inspiration to "keep me safe." So, as soon as I was allowed to stop going, I did.

I still go up and down a lot, but it's been almost 10 years since the last time I hit a dangerous low point. More importantly, I have my fiance and responsibilities to her to keep me from totally self destructing the way I used to.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Iconoclast

"Manic depression" sounds more accurate than "bipolar disorder" to me.

Bipolar only refers to the observation of the inflicted to be interchangably either manic or depressed "manic-depressive disorder".
"Manic depression" ... there's something I should have thought of sooner. This describes the two as being psychologically simultaneous--for reasons by which medication may successfully treat. Depression has many variants and levels, so I like this phrasing better.
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #8
Cornellius

I have the OCD with some bipolar tendencies. I also have some paranoia. I do have tendencies to create mountains of problems, create scenarios, with a small problem. A lot often, I don't give a damn about anything, like I don't care what happens to me, that I'm not worth having people caring for me.

I now take Paxils, I do have downs, but way left often.

My best advice would be this: I am aware that I'll get another down someday, but I also know that I'll have some awesome days. It's hard to be logical when I'm down, but I talk with a friend who is a psy. and or my dad (the psy. is my dad's friend). I'm not ashamed at all of having to see a psy. That's the way I was born and these guys have the medecine to make me feel better.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)

Last edited by Cornellius; 03-17-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Isildur

Well... as long as we're sharing...
Diagnosed with depression, anxiety, OCD. Currently on fluvoxamine, lithium, wellbutrin, lorazepam.

As a teen, with the help of a good therapist I saw for a while, I trained myself to mostly overcome some somewhat Asperger's-ish traits: great difficulty looking people in the eye while I was talking, talking at too much length and in wrong settings about subjects that fascinated me, and difficulty in dealing with social situations in which there were large numbers of people. I'm not perfect in all of those respects now, but much, much better than I was. However, I don't think I would describe myself as actually having Asperger's Syndrome, as I was never diagnosed with it, and the people I've known who have actually been diagnosed with it have had significantly more severe challenges than me in that direction.
Isildur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Lillymon

Since we're doing this now, I'll bring the third mention of Asperger syndrome to this topic. I was diagnosed while still in primary school (so under the age of 12) and it was apparently a pretty easy diagnosis. It's the only sort of mental health issue I've been diagnosed with and I made my way through a few different anti-depressants before I stopped taking the things entirely (citalopram was what I was taking when I stopped).