Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #21
Mental Midget Slayer

Talking It's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zophar View Post
That's a good point. Heck, many of the sites fed on each other. I started ZD out of a desire to create a site like Archaic Ruins or Node99, but one that was updated constantly with the latest emulators, as well as that "something extra". That's where ideas like forums, music archives, save/movie archives came from. When "Emu News" hit and they were updating on an hourly basis(!) it really motivated me to keep the files and news flowing like a fountain. And it was a LOT of work...and very time consuming. The rewards were just from seeing the site gain in popularity, seeing my email box explode, and watching emulator coders get better and better as more and more games started working.

It's like was said earlier...you need to have passion. Some do, some don't, and that's just how it is.

And the midi was neither of those, though both would have been excellent choices!

Zophar
It's much better than node99 and Archaic and was, despite how well they were built.
Mental Midget Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #22
Zophar
Original Founder

Well thank you for saying so, but if it weren't for those two sites, I never would have been inspired to create mine. I was introduced to emulation by a friend, Ross (gb) who showed me a Gameboy emulator which, I think, was VGB-DOS. I was incredibly impressed that such a thing was possible on a computer! The rest, they say, is history!

"Emulation Forever!"
It lives on...
Zophar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #23
Xeon3D

Quote:
I know what you mean. How have you been Xeon3d?
Good, I'm good! Thanks for asking. You also seem to be good, so I'm glad.

On the small art thingy that you were speaking about, I remember perfectly that I did mine in good old MSPaint. We had requirements for size in pixels and in KB's that we had to meet, and if I tried to animate it in anyway it would blow the KB size away. From what I can remember, only Death Adder had an animated one, aaaaand.... we never got to know (at least I didn't) anything about him apart from his online handle being "Death Adder" .

Still about the love thing... it really was a hard blow to see ZD stall as many others did (RG most noticeably) after I was one of the "victims" (notice the doublequotes) of Sam's management issues (yup, for the ones that do not know, I was "fired" for not closing a HTML tag and fucking up a table completely by not doing so).

Year after year (as you can see by my post count I was never into the wwwthreads aka forums before) I got used to see the old emulation scene disappear, website by website. A few others have appeared (NGEmu, along others) but they didn't feel like ZD to me. Strangely enough, one of the websites that stood from those times and it's still updated regularly is Navarone's, and that's basically the only one that I would follow regularly for the next couple of years (I still do).

When I got notice that ZD would reopen (don't quite remember how I got to know of the reopening), I got all hyped up again, but soon the hype was gone.

Unfortunately, I now think that that will be a dream that's going to be hard to materialize, but only time will tell. From what I can see at the moment, it'll take a LOT of time. People changed, the scene changed and it seems I didn't.

Oh well... Still, I'm glad to see that you're alive and still more interested in emulation after all these years.

Finally, I just wanted to say that I still do (as I did in the old times) identify myself a lot with your Emulation Dream

Those were the days...
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #24
Zophar
Original Founder

I'll give you that, it looks like the site has been dormant so long that much of its user base has dwindled. But then again, in 1996, when we had about 20 visitors per day (and 15 of them were me hitting refresh, hehehe), it didn't stop me from posting something new every single day! Granted, this was pre-fiance, pre-management job, blahblahblah.. but this is a new challenge that excites me. And this isn't even my site now. But then again...

This never was my site. It's yours. It was always all of yours even then, and especially now. Don't give up. See my signature.

"Emulation Forever!"
It lives on...
Zophar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 AM   #25
hcs

Hi Zophar! I only arrived on the scene late in the life of the N64, but ZD was instrumental in emulation becoming a passion for me. The music archives, in particular, are brilliant. Sorry I wasn't able to do more during my short stint on staff.

Every once in a while when you drop in is always a treat, like George Washington stopping by to see how the US is going (though I'm sure you're a lot happier with the state of things than George would be). Gonna be around longer this time?
hcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #26
Xeon3D

Actually, I just see this becoming a new RG. Nothing on the frontpage, and some more "action" on the (horrendous) forum system that they have...

Those were the days...
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #27
Umiliphus

Default I amuse myself

Quote:
It's been a while but some of the staffers made their own, and others created them for us. I know alamone helped create some and so did infe. I think one of them made mine for me, since I contain no artistic talent whatsoever.
Eeeeeeeep! Zophar talked to me! And he mentioned infe! Infe was a legend. I used to make doom wads full of sound effects I stole with Snessor. Good times, stupid times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I made my own as well. I believe I was still using Paint Shop Pro 7 back then. I think I did a decent job considering my own lack of artistic talent.
I use Paint Shop Pro 6 now. Oopf. This is for reasons independent from the denial which drove me to console emulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeon3D View Post
From what I can remember, only Death Adder had an animated one, aaaaand.... we never got to know (at least I didn't) anything about him apart from his online handle being "Death Adder" .
I once asked if that was really his name, appearing as it did in the designated "real name" box. I don't remember his exact response, only that shortly afterward he changed his name to Nomad, trying to throw me off the trail, but I know quite well that he continues to call himself "Death Adder" (and probably mis-time spcs, as well! Oh, the thought of it!).
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #28
hcs

Death Adder is Brandon Cobb, for whatever that might be worth to you.
hcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #29
Umiliphus

Stop it! You're ruining the magic!
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #30
D--

Uh, he's the president of SuperFighterTeam, the company that made the English version of Beggar Prince.