Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Cryos

Default GBA flash cart with GBA roms?

This might be kind of an obvious question for folks on the board so I apologize in advance.

I've never had one before but was considering getting a GBA flash cart for the purposes of playing some fan translated GBA games on my SP (Or DS lite if I find one compatible)

So...the stupid question is since all the emulators for a particular console are for others (SNES, older Gameboy, NES) does that mean i can simply load a translation patched .gba rom onto a flashcart and play it normally? It seemed too simple to be true so I wanted to ask first.

Thanks, sorry if this is already addressed somewhere, I wasn't sure where to search.
Cryos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
The 9th Sage

Oh, I see what you're asking. Yeah, .gba files ARE the GBA games themselves. I don't know what kind of cart you're getting, so the process may vary, but you should be able to just put them onto the flashcart and play 'em. What were you thinking of checking out? Mother 3 maybe?

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

I hated the begnning of mother 3 so much that I haven't gotten past the draco yet. I just get pissed off playing as that useless 50 year old decrepid cowboy... You're supposed to be playing as kids with psi, not some dying old man... I'll probably pick it up in a few months from where I left off, but first I have to try out FF4: The After Years.

Yeah well on a supercard SD, you just need to run the .gba but there's something important to note: The save data only creates itself when you tell it to. After playing for a while and saving a few times, when you're done it is nessesary to press some key combination in order to bring up a menu. There you have to choose ''save SRAM'', otherwise the saves will be lost when you load it up the next time. It's like that for alot of portable emulators, though some of them merely require you te exit the emulator before powering off.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
I hated the begnning of mother 3 so much that I haven't gotten past the draco yet. I just get pissed off playing as that useless 50 year old decrepid cowboy... You're supposed to be playing as kids with psi, not some dying old man... I'll probably pick it up in a few months from where I left off, but first I have to try out FF4: The After Years.
Dying old man? O_o (actually, I'm pretty sure he's alive for the entire game) But anyway, the only time you play as him is the first chapter. The first chapter is pretty important to the story too.

Twitter
Old 07-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Haha I know he's not actually dying... I was just annoyed because he's a boring character and I know he's just there at the beginning but the first chapter feels absolutely nothing like a mother game... Like I said, when i'm done with FF4 2, I'll probably pick it up again.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Cryos

Thanks guys, that was informative.

Theres one or two games I have in mind, Mother 3 would be one, the other is Fire Emblem 6, as I'm a big fan of that series. Plus when I read that you could pop a SNES emulator on them that got me interested, too - I never really fancied hacking my PSP to take one of those on the go.

I'm not sure what Flashcard I'm getting yet as they seem to be difficult to find in stock here in the UK, but I'll be sure to check whether the sram needs to be manually saved.
Cryos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
The 9th Sage

Ah, well...I'll warn you that the SNES emulator for GBA isn't the greatest. With hacks it can run some games full speed (doesn't support sound though). I do remember having fun playing some games such as Soul Blazer on it.

Twitter
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Ah, well...I'll warn you that the SNES emulator for GBA isn't the greatest. With hacks it can run some games full speed (doesn't support sound though). I do remember having fun playing some games such as Soul Blazer on it.
may I also add that the resolution the GBA has (or the DS for that matter) isn't enough to properly display the SNES screen, so it either gets squashed or cropped. Same goes with NES. Not worth it IMHO.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
may I also add that the resolution the GBA has (or the DS for that matter) isn't enough to properly display the SNES screen, so it either gets squashed or cropped. Same goes with NES. Not worth it IMHO.
Speaking from experience, it works better than you'd think most of the time, though the resolution of the DS is definitely better than the GBA for SNES (though for NES it's never a problem).

Twitter
Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
DS is definitely better than the GBA for SNES (though for NES it's never a problem).
You do realize that 90% of the time the NES and SNES output the same resolution, right?