Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 07-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #21
rickz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
What I don't like about freenode is that it doesn't seem to have username expiration. Someone registered my preferred username on Jan 14 17:24:00 2005, last used it on Jan 14 19:59:35 2005 (so they used it for an absolute maximum of two and a half hours, three and a half years ago), and because of that I can't use it. I know it wasn't me because address is from Rogers, a Canadian ISP.

I know all IRC networks have their own dumb policies, but that one really irritates me in particular. Not being able to use any of my preferred usernames is what always put me off larger networks, and not expiring unused usernames makes the problem even worse.
Contact an admin to ask for the username expiration. Looking at their policies, they consider nicknames officially expired after 60 days, at which point you can ask an admin to drop it so you can register it. :P
rickz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
D--

I went through this a couple years ago.

FYI, if someone is using +i, the last-on date with nickserv willl not be updated with Freenode. I asked to get a name dropped once and it was denied with that explaination.

I used to own D and used it every day ... until an admin wanted it, klined me, killed my registration and took the nick for himself. I posted satellite photos of his house and all his personal info on my site, and since then have just been using D-- on Freenode.
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #23
mushroom blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BOY View Post
I used to own D and used it every day ... until an admin wanted it, klined me, killed my registration and took the nick for himself. I posted satellite photos of his house and all his personal info on my site, and since then have just been using D-- on Freenode.
wow. I'll take "INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS" for $500, Alex.

but the important thing is that you didn't do anything extreme in retaliation. cos that would've just made you look like a douchebag to everyone when you bragged about it.
mushroom blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #24
Xeon3D

I'd go for Freenode as well for lots of reasons, but if it has to be espernet... oh well...
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 AM   #25
Lillymon

OK, I have news about the channel. But first, I have something to say to everyone in this thread who requested we move to freenode.

I hate you. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate hate hate hate hate you! I hate you so fucking much and I wish you would all drop dead.

Now that I got that out of my system, #zophar has been registered on freenode. I'll keep the EsperNet side running until I feel it's outlived its usefulness, but I have the feeling the freenode channel will become the official one soon enough.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 AM   #26
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I hate you. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate hate hate hate hate you! I hate you so fucking much and I wish you would all drop dead.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 AM   #27
Lillymon

Incidentally, as per freenode channel naming rules, we really need official endorsement if we want to keep '#zophar' on freenode. Hopefully we'll never have to fight over the right to use it (Zophar's Domain is the only organization listed under Wikipedia's Zophar disambiguation page), but I'd want Edman on side if it ever comes up.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #28
Xeon3D

I don't think he'll have a problem by being on our side...
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #29
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
I want a move to freenode so that I don't have to connect to yet another server (3 is enough already ;/)
Odd. That's the exact I want to stay on esper, which, by the way, is where most of serious the rom hacking community is these days.

Last edited by Apophis; 07-23-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote