Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
The 9th Sage

Default Scribblenauts

Scribblenauts for the Nintendo DS came out today. I was wondering how many have decided to pick it up? It's a pretty interesting game, I can't think of any game that's really like it that I've played. Mostly gameplay consists of using words to create objects to solve the puzzle or get to the goal in the level. I want to talk about it some, I'm hoping that some who might be on the fence will get interested if I do (also, anyone who has played it, curious to hear of any of your more bizzare solutions to puzzles).

For example...this was one of the action levels (meaning it's more goal oriented rather than puzzle oriented). In each level you need to get a Starite. It's this star looking thing. This level had it at the end of a narrow tunnel Maxwell (the kid you play as) could never get into. There was also a steel box (steel = indestructible in this game) in front of it, with a narrow gap in front of it. All of this was on a cliff with a steep drop. You can't jump up there with just your normal jumping abilities.

Now, the obvious solution (the one they hinted at) was to use rope, tie one end to the star, another to the box, then use another rope to tie something heavy to the box and pull it down off of the cliff, bringing the star with it. Great, that works.

In advanced mode though, you need to finish the level three times, but you can't use the items you used in each try in any of the subsequent tries. I had some trouble with this one, it led to some amusingly strange methods of getting that star for me.

First I did the rope thing, but the second stumped me for a bit. Then, my eventual solution was to glue the star to a butterfly, that then managed to struggle it's way out of the tunnel to where I could reach the star. The third try was my favorite by far. I suddenly decided to try Shrink Ray as a phrase, and poof, shrink ray. I first tried giving it to a robot, the robot just stood around and didn't shoot me, so I tried to think of something that would try to kill me. I decided on a Vampire.

So, I gave myself rocket boots so I could jump really high, then made the vampire and gave him the shrink ray. He shot at me, I shrunk, and with my rocket powered boots I jumped onto the cliff, over the box, and into the tunnel. :P

Had me laughing for at least ten minutes.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Isildur

Haha, that game sounds awesome! Perhaps I should get a DS...

Shrink-ray-wielding vampire, lol, nice.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Burzy
Awesome Member

I used to do a tonne of acid in the 90's... perhaps this is the game my 8-Dimensional Brain has always been looking for =>
Burzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
Reaper man

Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll have to take a look at it.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
InVerse

Okay, so I just started playing this. So far, it's completely awesome. Also, I haven't actually clicked start yet. You can just write things and interact with them on the title screen. My favourite so far has been using my light sabre (have to type laser sword) to attack a mech while riding on a giraffe.

Also, xkcd weren't kidding when they said you can summon the large hadron collider.

Oh, and I just summoned an oven and put a cat in it. (You can't put things in the microwave. )
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
The 9th Sage

Hahaha, wow. I never even thought to try large hadron collider.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
AkaneJones

Ha almost as good as the wormhole that summon some intergalactic monster that killed Maxwell. Or the random teleporter to the moon, I'll need to get back to you on the usefulness of a dwarf star. And yes indeed the goggles they do nothing. It's very random sometimes
AkaneJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
jdev

I summoned a flood once. I died pretty quick. I wonder if I could do "Ark" or "Submarine" first.
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
I summoned a flood once. I died pretty quick. I wonder if I could do "Ark" or "Submarine" first.
Scuba gear.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 AM   #10
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Scuba gear.
Whale. I summoned one and rode on it except I was too stupid to summon an ocean to go with it, so it just sort of sat there and wiggled.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote