Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 10-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #21
AkaneJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
Edit: That being said, Nintendo allegedly saw DKC and told Shigeru Miyamoto that they wanted that sort of graphical style for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Miyamoto was not happy with this suggestion, so we want off and came up with the 'hand-drawn' style that made Yoshi's Island so timeless and unique. I must admit here that Yoshi's Island is clearly better than any of the DKC games.

The lesson of the story: Don't fuck with Shigeru Miyamoto.
What irony with Yoshi Story and all.
AkaneJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #22
Iconoclast

Back to that SNS issue, I have the four correct eggs and the ice key now, but the ice key doesn't disappear from my inventory as it should when I go through the golden warp cauldron. As a complement, the door to the game transfer did not open.

While it is possible that the whole interview was "fake", I'm left thinking about the possibility of the version I have dumped?

I have the 1.0 version of Banjo-Kazooie.
I am looking for someone who has a later version.

To see what version of your dump you have, check the binary at the 0x3F address. If this stores null 0x00, we have v1.0. The values 0x01 and 0x02 are v1.1 and v1.2 releases of the game.
Otherwise you can just do a CRC/MD5 check of the image or something, and we can compare.

Last edited by Iconoclast; 10-30-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #23
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Back to that SNS issue, I have the four correct eggs and the ice key now, but the ice key doesn't disappear from my inventory as it should when I go through the golden warp cauldron. As a complement, the door to the game transfer did not open.
Aw, that's disappointing. If anything, I'd think a version that has this in it would be the earliest one possible (in that regard, I'd love to see a beta of this game).

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #24
Iconoclast

That could be, but since Banjo-Kazooie wasn't after the time of the N64 hardware modifications or of the 64DD expansion being canceled, it would also make sense if the SNS implementation wasn't done until a later release build of the game. Even according to Mumbo in his briefing of the pictures, Rare definitely had some progress on Banjo-Tooie, but it was much later when they saw that they were practically forced to cancel. So it could be that they kinda "needed more time".

What would really help is if I can trace a GS code to let Banjo move through boundaries like walls and doors, and then I can go through the door instead to see if anything happens.
I can't really find the text in the game, though, since all that stuff seems to be compressed or encrypted.

I want to know this for sure, though; I want to prove, one way or the other, if the current fate is correct.

The only other possibilities I have in mind are the version or maybe my save file.
If the interview was fake, they did a good job, except a few notions were suspicious I think. The only real reaction I had at first, was the two outer eggs being fake and used to prevent cheating--while there were codes you could enter in the Sandcastle floor to unlock them. I'm sure they expected people to hack the game and find the codes, though, so that would be the only explanation behind that contradiction.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 AM   #25
The 9th Sage

Quote:
That could be, but since Banjo-Kazooie wasn't after the time of the N64 hardware modifications or of the 64DD expansion being canceled, it would also make sense if the SNS implementation wasn't done until a later release build of the game. Even according to Mumbo in his briefing of the pictures, Rare definitely had some progress on Banjo-Tooie, but it was much later when they saw that they were practically forced to cancel. So it could be that they kinda "needed more time".

What would really help is if I can trace a GS code to let Banjo move through boundaries like walls and doors, and then I can go through the door instead to see if anything happens.
I can't really find the text in the game, though, since all that stuff seems to be compressed or encrypted.

I want to know this for sure, though; I want to prove, one way or the other, if the current fate is correct.

The only other possibilities I have in mind are the version or maybe my save file.
If the interview was fake, they did a good job, except a few notions were suspicious I think. The only real reaction I had at first, was the two outer eggs being fake and used to prevent cheating--while there were codes you could enter in the Sandcastle floor to unlock them. I'm sure they expected people to hack the game and find the codes, though, so that would be the only explanation behind that contradiction.
On the eggs, that's why it made sense to me...the codes seem unlikely for someone to guess (don't have the list, but they are REALLY long), so chances are they'd be hacking to get them. That and they really weren't shown at the end of the game like the others.

I'll hunt for a walk through walls code, though even then it might not help if an event flag (or some such thing) needs to get triggered for this to happen, assuming it is in the game still.

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 10-31-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:47 AM   #26
Iconoclast

Oh that could intervene, but any help is great here. I know levitation isn't enough to get through, but I've still got a number of things outside of the door itself that I will be taking a crack at.

Yeah the codes for all six eggs are so well published online that anyone who doesn't know the story has already failed the interview's challenge. I guess it's also possible, that in Banjo-Tooie, Blackeye was going to tell you the other two codes for the bad eggs...if you messed up. What we have in mind is more likely, though, since Rare was rather against their games being hacked.

To your edit on the list, I have an organized reference for anyone who would like to reproduce what I did originally.

Code:
Treasure Trove Cove          Magenta OUTOFTHESEAITRISESTOREVEALMORESECRETPRIZES
Gobi's Valley                Blue    ADESERTDOOROPENSWIDEANCIENTSECRETSWAITINSIDE
Mad Monster Mansion          Green   AMIDSTTHEHAUNTEDGLOOMASECRETINTHEBATHROOM
Rusty Bucket Bay             Red     THISSECRETYOULLBEGRABBININTHECAPTAINSCABIN

Mad Monster Mansion:Basement Cyan    DONTYOUGOANDTELLHERABOUTTHESECRETINHERCELLAR
Click Clock Wood:Winter      Yellow  NOWBANJOWILLBEABLETOSEEITONNABNUTSTABLE

Freezezy Peak                Ice Key NOWYOUCANSEEANICEICEKEYWHICHYOUCANHAVEFORFREE
Where the Cyan and Yellow ones are the bad ones that no one wants.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 AM   #27
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Oh that could intervene, but any help is great here. I know levitation isn't enough to get through, but I've still got a number of things outside of the door itself that I will be taking a crack at.

Yeah the codes for all six eggs are so well published online that anyone who doesn't know the story has already failed the interview's challenge. I guess it's also possible, that in Banjo-Tooie, Blackeye was going to tell you the other two codes for the bad eggs...if you messed up. What we have in mind is more likely, though, since Rare was rather against their games being hacked.
Yeah, seems pretty cruel to do something like that to people unless they were hacking the game. lol

*edit*
Haven't found a code yet...I was wondering though, could something like a size modifier possibly work? Maybe you can glitch your way behind the doors? I don't know.

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 10-31-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 AM   #28
Iconoclast

Hmmm, I'm not counting on it. Unless it is time-consuming for you with other things to look at, I'm willing to try anything. I appreciate any help.
In any result though the cheat would be cool to modify his size anytime.

Though in advance, reason I don't think that will work is, well in many parts of Grunty's lair, you can levitate to float through the ceiling and then outside to get around the walls. The top room however is unusually secure from this, and I imagine Rare apprehended tricks here more than just the individual secret items.

Wow, thinking back to that now I remember when I was 10 or so and I had my GameShark cart for the moon jump code to use with Banjo-Kazooie, I was exploring everywhere to use it and to see if I could get behind that particular door in the transformation room, mainly because that's the door Klungo comes out through, as seen in the cast list when Grunty's calling for him to rescue her from under the rock. Eight years later I know how important this door is.

Last edited by Iconoclast; 10-31-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #29
Cornellius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVc7hq32b0Y&feature=related0

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote