Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
FleshCage

Default Mother fucking Vista & Micrsoft Word

Fucking A man. I swear. For some reason the computer keeps telling me to put in the 25 key code in order to run it.
I tried putting the code in that on the bottom of the laptop to no avail. Why you piece if shit?!

Some one please help me!?

I have looked all over the internet, and they want me to download so ridiculousness, but I don't feel so safe about it.
I tried some other things as well, but there don't seem to be the correct files. ugh

This is the internet. No one exists past your computer screen.
FleshCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Iconoclast

If you mean an activation code to verify your registration or purchase of the software i.e. Vista/MSO it will not be at the bottom of a laptop; you might have it if you installed Vista yourself from a CD.
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
VT-Vincent

I assume this is coming up when you open Word? If so, your computer probably has the trial version of Office loaded on it. You can obtain a 60-day trial key from Microsoft's office site:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...759021033.aspx

The key on the bottom of your computer is actually for the operating system, not the office suite.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

Sigh. I still don't understand the attraction to Microsoft Word.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Have you tried open office? I haven't, but I hear it's good. I usually use wordpad that comes on every computer since the vaccum tube was invented.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
Have you tried open office? I haven't, but I hear it's good. I usually use wordpad that comes on every computer since the vaccum tube was invented.
Wordpad is damned good. Open Office is also very good. Jarte is pretty good, too.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
InVerse

Open Office is just as good as Microsoft Office and quite superior in certain areas. Open Office Writer can open/save in MS Word format, so if you really need to deal with Word's proprietary format, it's still possible.

As for the activation code, the code on the bottom of a laptop would be for the operation system. That would have absolutely nothing to do with Office or any other software outside of the OS. My guess is that you're using the free trial of Word that often comes with Vista and you've exceeded the trial limit. If that's the case, you'll have to shell out $100 or so if you want to legally continue using Word.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
VT-Vincent

OpenOffice.org is ok for casual use, but I would have to say that Microsoft Office is still the standard. The feature set between the two is really not comparable and OpenOffice.org only has the core applications.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
FleshCage

I downloaded Jarte. So, I think we'll keep it at that. And I think the microsoft camw with the computer.

This is the internet. No one exists past your computer screen.
FleshCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
InVerse

What features would make the typical user choose Microsoft Office over Open Office? The only one that stands out as obvious to me is that Open Office doesn't have an equivalent to Microsoft Publisher but I haven't noticed anything else that wouldn't be considered highly specialized.

And I doubt there are a whole lot of "professional" Word users, as opposed to "casual" users. I would doubt that even a majority of the people who use Word for business use more than the basic features. There may be some features within the spreadsheet or database applications that I'm not aware of but I really can't see anything offered by MS that justifies spending $100 or more.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote