Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
JCE3000GT
Senior Member
 
JCE3000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 5,167
Default Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

So like, the past week my screen gets all funky with the colors all messed up and the sharpness nulled a little bit--but reverts back to normal after about 5-10 seconds. Could it be the monitor, video card, or a combo of both? The video card is fairly new and the monitor is fairly old (but acts ok for the most part). Any info regarding this subject is appreciated.

<P ID="signature"></P>
JCE3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:13 AM   #2
MooglyGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 4,014
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

> So like, the past week my screen gets all funky with the
> colors all messed up and the sharpness nulled a little
> bit--but reverts back to normal after about 5-10 seconds.
> Could it be the monitor, video card, or a combo of both?

Define "the colors all messed up". If it's seemingly random, then it's probably the video card. If it's not (i.e., entire hues get swapped around, a particular color drops out), it's probably the monitor.

<P ID="signature"></P>
MooglyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
World_Demise
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,963
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

Hm, I'd say it's the monitor, could be in the monitor cable itself. I''ve never seen a video card go bad and screw up on screen colors.

<P ID="signature">i need a friend, please be my companion
i don't want to be left alone with my sanity
</P>
World_Demise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:54 AM   #4
MegaManJuno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: WV
Posts: 626
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

> Hm, I'd say it's the monitor, could be in the monitor cable
> itself. I''ve never seen a video card go bad and screw up on
> screen colors.
>

It can happen... the fan on my old GeForce one died over a weekend while I was away and fried some component on the board a bit due to the heat. I thought it was a monitor issue at first until I opened up the case and found the fan non-functional. Colors ended up hue-shifted and washed out a bit...

That being said, with the way it's acting, my first guess would be possibly the cable. I've seen a bad cable do that in the past. If you move the cable around while it's on and you notice the problem come and go while doing so, it's a likely chance. Barring that, I would assume the monitor is on it's way out, without knowing more of the situation and not being able to get hands-on with the hardware myself.

<P ID="signature"></P>
MegaManJuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:40 AM   #5
JCE3000GT
Senior Member
 
JCE3000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 5,167
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

> It can happen... the fan on my old GeForce one died over a
> weekend while I was away and fried some component on the
> board a bit due to the heat. I thought it was a monitor
> issue at first until I opened up the case and found the fan
> non-functional. Colors ended up hue-shifted and washed out
> a bit...

The fan on my GeForce FX 5200 upon cold bootup makes a horrible noise then it goes away once it's been on for about 2 or 3 minutes...does that mean the cpu could be overheating? I leave my computer on for days/weeks at a time and the color thing has only happend this past week about 4 or 5 times. I'm hoping it's just the monitor showing it's age and not the video card I spent so much money on. -_-

<P ID="signature"></P>
JCE3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:41 AM   #6
JCE3000GT
Senior Member
 
JCE3000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Little Elm, TX
Posts: 5,167
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

> Define "the colors all messed up". If it's seemingly
> random, then it's probably the video card. If it's not
> (i.e., entire hues get swapped around, a particular color
> drops out), it's probably the monitor.

Mostly the hues get off, the windows grey goes light green, and sometimes light red.

<P ID="signature"></P>
JCE3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:47 AM   #7
World_Demise
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,963
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

> The fan on my GeForce FX 5200 upon cold bootup makes a
> horrible noise then it goes away once it's been on for about
> 2 or 3 minutes...does that mean the cpu could be
> overheating?


The fan is dying, same thing happened to my Geforce2 GTS. Fan started making growling sounds, so I took the fan and heatsink off and got a cpu cooler from Radio shack for like 6 bucks and glued it on with crazy glue. Works fine for me.

<P ID="signature">i need a friend, please be my companion
i don't want to be left alone with my sanity
</P>
World_Demise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
prisonpants
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 25
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

get off the acid

<P ID="signature"></P>
prisonpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:38 PM   #9
cipher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

Based on the description, I'd suspect the monitor is on its way out.

<P ID="signature">-----
ciphz0r</P>
cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
icenine0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,958
Default Re: Funky colors = bad monitor or video card?

Have you tried... hitting it?

Also, make sure there aren't any unshielded speakers nearby.

<P ID="signature">The more often you fail, the sweeter the taste of success!</P>
icenine0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Contact Us - Zophar's Domain - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.