Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
IKENAIRYU

Exclamation I need help Injecting a Wad For The Wii...

Hi:

I'm new here, although i had already spent a couple of times around. My question is this:

I have a few multicarts ROMS for nes, and i want to inject them into SMB3 wad. But i cannot achieve any progress, because they dont load in the wii and i have to do the hard switch -ya` know: press the power button about 6-7 secs.- method to turn off my console.

The last thing i get was to inject a multicart of pokemon 4 in 1 -go figure- and it`s because i edited the headers in the rom. Also i have make to work the nes roms of Dragon Ball z Super Botoden 2 and Mortal Kombat 3 -both pirate- but the stages on them seems to be allways buggy-

But what i want is to fully inject (and, of course, make `em fully functional) some HKO -Honk Kong Originals- like the nes versions of Super Mario World, Pokemon red, Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil 1. And the final goal is to make fully functionable a 99999999 games in one rom.

somebody can tell me what can i do? somebody know how to change the region of a NES rom? which areas of the rom i have to look? or anybody have achieve this allready? here is other: anybody knows about a unpacker for 9999 in one roms?

I use a hex editor, the impaler wad maker, and some other tools, btw.

thanks in advance, ya` guys!

P.S. i`m not from America, so excuse me for my lame english
i let ya`whit a couple of examples:

Ex. 1: RE is in 3 different versions:

Bio Hazard (Unl) [!].nes
BioHazard(Chinese).nes
Bio Hazard (Unl) [b1].nes

the size is 1.048.592 kb

B1 has some segments in english. Thats interesting

Ex. 2: Other curious case:
IKENAIRYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
hcs

Something tells me that Nintendo's emulator doesn't support obscure bootleg mappers. But then again I've never tried this stuff so I don't know.
hcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
IKENAIRYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcs View Post
Something tells me that Nintendo's emulator doesn't support obscure bootleg mappers. But then again I've never tried this stuff so I don't know.
The interesting about it is, in fact, i own a NES pirate Catridge, it have Final Fight, a Yuyu Hakusho fighting game -i think in America it`s name is Ghost Files, Ghost Report, or something like that- K.O.F 97 and Super Mario World. Tested in a real nes, it still works.

The Bottomline is: if the problem where the obscure bootleg mappers, who can i fix them? And who i can get fully functional at least a 8 in one rom in the wii?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
hcs

Of course the games work on the hardware, that's not the point. I don't know how much you know about emulation so I'll err on the side of overexplaining:

NES/Famicom cartridges often have custom hardware to allow addressing of more than the CPU and PPU (graphics device) could access on their own (a mere 64k or so). Nintendo had several of these devices, called memory mappers. Other companies had their own. Mappers also can provide some other extensions to the hardware, like finer interrupts, multiplication, or extra audio channels (on the Famicom, at least).

Mappers usually work by trapping certain reads or writes, i.e. a write of 5 to a certain address would be seen by the mapper and cause memory bank 5 to be accessible (whereas without mappers you'd be stuck with a single bank at all times). This works without any involvement from the NES itself; the change happens entirely within the mapper sitting on the cartridge. The interface between the NES and cartridge is very simple, but it allows for a lot of fancy things to be done on the cartridge side, things far beyond what the original NES with a dumb ROM would be capable of.

This poses a particular challenge for emulation, though. The ROM image must contain not only the data, but a description of how the cartridge is laid out: PRG-ROM (generally the "program") and CHR-ROM (graphics), other chips (SRAM for saving, maybe expansion RAM), and the mappers which control how these are accessed. In the common iNES format the mapper is specified with a single number. While the NES can just throw addresses at the cartridge and read/write, an emulator must emulate both the NES *and* the hardware on the cartridge. It needs specific code to deal with each type of mapper. This is one of the hardest aspects of NES emulation; there are many (100+) mappers, many of them rely on sensitive timing, and they can have complicated behavior. Particularly complicated are the unlicensed mappers made late in the life of the NES, by companies seeking to achieve next-generation behavior with their customers' old consoles (or more commonly cheap Famicom clones). These days chips more complicated than the whole NES can be put on a cartridge cheaply.

What you have with the 9999-in-1 cartridges is often a custom mapper, different from anything licensed developers used. It doesn't make any sense for Nintendo to include support for these in their emulator, as they wouldn't be emulating any games that use them. So the ROM file is just a chunk of data that the emulator can't access; it doesn't know how to find what bits of ROM should be accessible at what times and how to switch between them, not to mention the other stuff the mapper might do. Theoretically you could convert it to another mapper that uses the same layout and control scheme, but one probably doesn't exist to fit it exactly. So you have to:

a) find a (legitimate) mapper that can fit the data (these sound like bizarrely large ROMs so this might be troublesome)
b) possibly rearrange the banks if grouping is done differently
c) recode the bank switching in the game to work with the new mapper
d) if there is any extra capability of the mapper (extra interrupts, for instance) you may have an even more complicated job of recoding

There are people who can do this, but I mean no offense when I suggest that you probably can't right now.

A *much* better solution is to get the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii and get the FCE Ultra GX emulator. Then you can run almost any ROM off an SD card. I don't know for a fact that it supports the ROMs you're talking about, but it's likely.

Last edited by hcs; 11-05-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: a little more mapper detail
Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
IKENAIRYU

Quote:
A *much* better solution is to get the [url=http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel]Homebrew Channel[/url] installed on your Wii and get the [url=http://code.google.com/p/fceugc/]FCE Ultra GX[/url] emulator. Then you can run almost any ROM off an SD card. I don't know for a fact that it supports the ROMs you're talking about, but it's likely.
I Allready have do that. A long Time Ago. And FCE Ultra Dont support a lot of HKO. I cannot play FF7 because it crashes the system, and Biohazard only freeezes the wii. Single games like AV Girl Fight -it`s a primitive M.U.G.E.N., when M.U.G.E.N. dont even think to born- whit mappers very simmilar to the ones in games like Yie Ar Kung Fu, crash the emu. In this particular game, you can play like Chun-Li, Ranma Saotome, Sailor Mars, etc. And it has a good Playability.

I allready have make the B, C, D, steps you recomend, because the A is very difficult to me to make...

Question: Somebody can help me whit A?

P.S. If ya` Ppl want, i can post this games...
Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKENAIRYU View Post
P.S. If ya` Ppl want, i can post this games...
No, we don't really post ROM files here. I realize it's an HK pirate original, but to be on the safe side I'm going to have to pass on this one.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
hcs

How can you possibly have done B, C, D (modifying the game to work with the mapper) when you haven't done A (finding a compatible mapper)?

If the last you tried FCEU GX was a long time ago you might want to try again, there's still lots of work being done. Though if the mapper wasn't supported in FCEU 0.98.12 it won't be in GX. If it's still crashing, though, you might report a bug. I'd expect it to reject games that it doesn't support the mapper for rather than crash.

And Yie Ar Kung Fu doesn't even use a mapper, so I don't know what you mean by anything using a similar mapper.

Last edited by hcs; 11-07-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
IKENAIRYU

Default ...

Quote:
How can you possibly have done B, C, D (modifying the game to work with the mapper) when you haven't done A (finding a compatible mapper)?

If the last you tried FCEU GX was a long time ago you might want to try again, there's still lots of work being done. Though if the mapper wasn't supported in FCEU 0.98.12 it won't be in GX. If it's still crashing, though, you might report a bug. I'd expect it to reject games that it doesn't support the mapper for rather than crash.

And Yie Ar Kung Fu doesn't even use a mapper, so I don't know what you mean by anything using a similar mapper.
Well....a Misspell is a misspell...Sorry about that. Look: if i say the mappers are exactly the same to the ones in Kart Fighter[!][Unl] you will understand me? In the early days, ppl of HK use the same programing machine to do a lot of games. These are divided in 3:
*The Programming machine to do games like DBZ: SB2 for Nes -if you oppen the Rom in a hex editor you will find a couple of surprises, like seeing the name of other 10 games- Whit this one, they do MK 2, Street Fighter 1 And 2, Yu Yu Hakusho: Battle for the paralel World, etc.
*The one to do the port games like Mortal Kombat Ultimate: These are special. They support a lot of efects. Other games who use it: Tekken 2, Garou Densetsu 2 -Yeah whit Terry Bogard and all his crappy stuff- Art of Fighting and Street fighter zero 3.
*The last is the used in Kart Fighter, AV Girl Fight and Tech Romancer [Unl]
(Yeah, there is a Tech Romancer for the NES) Only 3 games, you ask? yeah, only 3 games.

And when i say a misspell i mean i dont have do the D. I`m in my office and paying attention to your yeling boss while you write about hack roms is very difficult. So, what da ya` think. My english is lame and i have a difficult time to be explicit. So, i repeat. Sorry about that.