Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
GammaGeorgeX

Question Trying to make a Table File, but why is this happening?

I'm tyring to make a .tbl file so I can edit the text in Harry Potter & the COS for GBC. Now, I know how table files work, so I went on visualboy's memory viewer to see if I could find in the rom where text appears and see what hexes they would be assigned as. So I paused the game at a certain area of dialogue, and for some reason, the text was translated into the assembly's language:

and it was in the same area of the rom where on a hex editor, I found (part of) the alphabet:

So it's obvious this involves how messages in this game are transcribed, but this must come from other parts of the ROM, since I can't just see all the dialogue on a hex editor.
How is it that people made a tbl file for pokemon games, and everything else?
GammaGeorgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Flash

I used Windhex, and before that came along, Hexecute. I think there are some docs here, but if there aren't, Inverse would pretty much know where to get em. I'd search for a word that I knew to be common to that game and do it the old fashioned way.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
GammaGeorgeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
I used Windhex, and before that came along, Hexecute. I think there are some docs here, but if there aren't, Inverse would pretty much know where to get em. I'd search for a word that I knew to be common to that game and do it the old fashioned way.
Docs? What docs are you referring to? Thanks for the help, anyways
GammaGeorgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Flash

There used to be a section with documents on romhacking, and, if I remember correctly, someone wrote one on Table Making. Because of this crappy phone I post from, I can't see, the whole home page, but there's a link to them somewhere.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
InVerse

1.) The address you're seeing in VBA's hex editor is where the information is stored in RAM, not ROM. The two don't directly coordinate.

2.) That alphabet you found means nothing. That combination is found all the time in files.

The document Flash is referring to is probably The Definitive Guide to ROM Hacking Tables.

I don't hack anymore, so I don't know that I can be of much use anymore as far as providing help.