Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 01-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Giever

Default Spectating GBA Games Online

Heya Zophar's Domain forum! This may not 100% be an emulation question, depending on the solution, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to watch someone else playing a GBA game via some emulator on their PC, on mine, through the nets.

I recently got a friend online to play EarthBound, and we did it via netplay, even though I didn't really play (though I did somewhat now and then to get her through some parts, or just to mess around, since apparently EarthBound supports both the 1st and 2nd controller to control it). Mainly I just watched and we chatted during and it was funtimes.

Anyway, I don't even know if there is an emulator with GBA netplay, but even if there is, I'm aware it wouldn't really be able to work that way for it, considering they're separate screens for GBA and you can't just like watch, and it'd only be for certain games and etc., etc. :P

SO ANYWAY, like I said, I'm not sure if the solution will turn out to be an emulator one or if someone will pop in and be like "use this video streaming thing for specific windows!" or something crazy like that. OR maybe there isn't a decent way to do it, in which case I'll be sad but accepting. :<

Thanks in advance!
Giever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
The 9th Sage

I don't think there is an emulator that supports netplay, unfortunately. I've heard that the link cable is really sensitive to timing and latency, so that could be why.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Giever

Well I'm not really looking for netplay, per se, cause that would be like, I dunno, well GBA netplay wouldn't really achieve what I managed to do with zsnes netplay, I'm just wondering if there's a way to watch someone else playing it on their computer, from my computer.

(For the record, it'd be Mother 3, since she played EarthBound and we wanted to move on to that :P)
Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giever View Post
Well I'm not really looking for netplay, per se, cause that would be like, I dunno, well GBA netplay wouldn't really achieve what I managed to do with zsnes netplay, I'm just wondering if there's a way to watch someone else playing it on their computer, from my computer.

(For the record, it'd be Mother 3, since she played EarthBound and we wanted to move on to that :P)
I know there's got to be an app that can capture video and send it live (I've seen such things done, of course), I just can't think of it. Anyone know of one?

Twitter
Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
MyaMyaMya

Mednafen will support this, as soon as I release an updated version of the netplay server, at least in theory(I've not thoroughly tested the GBA save state code in Mednafen, so it is conceivable there could be bugs that could cause desynchronization).

I don't suppose you use Linux or a BSD, or Cygwin?
MyaMyaMya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
Giever

I do dual boot between Win7 and Ubuntu, but I'm not entirely sure I could convince her to install a whole operating system to do this (and I don't exactly now how Cygwin works).

Just to be sure, do you know what I'm asking about, when you say that netplay thing? Cause I know multiplayer in any GBA games wouldn't really be what I'm looking for (and Mother 3 doesn't even have multiplayer). But, rather, being able to watch someone play it over the net. (You probably do understand, I'm just checking. :P)
Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
The 9th Sage

Ah, I missed that reply before evidently. Nice to hear of the possibilities there.

(also, awesome avatar Giever)

Twitter
Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
MyaMyaMya

If you want to test:

http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/test...-02-01.tar.bz2

To compile it in Cygwin, you'll need to install at least gcc and make(maybe others?) via Cygwin's setup/package management program. Then ZIP up the resulting executable, the configuration file, and the Cygwin distributable DLL. Your friend should extract it to its own directory, start a command prompt, cd to the directory, and run it like: mednafen-server.exe standard.conf

Then when Mother 3 is loaded in Mednafen, both you and your friend(friend should connect first to actually play) will need to hit the "T" key, type in: /server friends_ip_address_here

Your friend will need to open or map port 4046 on any firewalls or NAT devices in the way.

There may be enough additional latency to break the rhythm part of battles, though, as the network play server runs asynchronous to updates from the clients.

Also: Since network play uses save states to synchronize clients upon connecting, any save game you have will be overwritten by the save game of the first connecting player.
MyaMyaMya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #9
clockworkengine

A program like radmin will let you watch anything on her screen, including emulation. You'll have to ask her to install it on her computer.
clockworkengine is offline   Reply With Quote