Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
gamingahole12
Banned

Default What is a good DS emulator for Mandriva Linux?

What is the best DS emulator out there for Mandriva Linux?
gamingahole12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Cornellius

At the moment, DS emulator are for Windows only and are in early stages. They can play some commercial games, but not very well.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
The 9th Sage

Actually, they work better than you'd think these days. Not many options for Linux though...there might be a Linux version of DesMuMe.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
gamingahole12
Banned

Mind you, I rely on flash cards for my ds and gba gaming, but I was wondering. I have DesMuMe, but it does not work well. I have also used IDEAS, and it also does not work well. However, do you think the windows versions will work in WINE?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingahole12 View Post
Mind you, I rely on flash cards for my ds and gba gaming, but I was wondering. I have DesMuMe, but it does not work well. I have also used IDEAS, and it also does not work well. However, do you think the windows versions will work in WINE?
Perhaps. You won't know unless you try. Did you ever consider giving NO$GBA a whirl? From what I've seen it runs DS games the best.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #6
gamingahole12
Banned

I havent seriously tried it out. Mind you, it is windows only and the only version I have tried on WINE froze. But I think I will pursue it further.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
Sliver-X

No$GBA is by far and away the best DS emulator out right now. So far as Wine not working with it, No$GBA v2.5 through 2.6a have run fine for me over the last, oh, 15 or so Wine releases (Since I first tried it last year):

I did, however, have issues with that NDS2xGL or whatever program that doubles the resolution. So I made a shell script and put it in No$GBA's folder like so:

xset s off &
xrandr -s 700x525
wine ./NO"$"GBA.exe
xrandr -s 1440x900 &
xset s on

xset s on/off disables the X screensaver then restores it on exit. xrandr -s drops the resolution so the screen is bigger and then restores it.

If you're using a 4:3 display you'd want to change 700x525 to 640x480 and 1440x900 to whatever you typically run your desktop at.

*edit* DeSmuMe isn't even worth downloading, either for Windows or Linux. Even a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo can only push half speed, which means it's just very poorly coded.

Last edited by Sliver-X; 08-15-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Sliver-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
D--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver-X View Post
*edit* DeSmuMe isn't even worth downloading, either for Windows or Linux. Even a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo can only push half speed, which means it's just very poorly coded.
Or it's extremely well-coded and is designed to actually emulate the hardware rather than run l33t romhs.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
Sliver-X

That could be possible, but I base my statement on a couple of things: No$GBA actually has less errors overall compared to the last version of DeSmuMe I used, and most importantly the 2SF (NDS chiptune format) player situation.

The first 2SF player was called "Highly Whatever", and was basically a direct rip of DeSmuMe's sound core compiled to run as a standalone application. It was VERY slow, pushing somewhere around 40% of Core 0 of my processor.

However, R. Belmont of MAMEDev took the code and worked on it a little, creating vio2play: It's so much faster that it's insane, which leads me to believe DeSmuMe is either poorly coded or so unoptimized it's not even funny.
Sliver-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver-X View Post
However, R. Belmont of MAMEDev took the code and worked on it a little, creating vio2play: It's so much faster that it's insane, which leads me to believe DeSmuMe is either poorly coded or so unoptimized it's not even funny.
Ah, so he's the one that created vio2play. I did not know that. :P Also, it seems that the fellow who programs no$gba likes accuracy in his emulators.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote