Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #11
Zophar
Original Founder

That's a good point. Heck, many of the sites fed on each other. I started ZD out of a desire to create a site like Archaic Ruins or Node99, but one that was updated constantly with the latest emulators, as well as that "something extra". That's where ideas like forums, music archives, save/movie archives came from. When "Emu News" hit and they were updating on an hourly basis(!) it really motivated me to keep the files and news flowing like a fountain. And it was a LOT of work...and very time consuming. The rewards were just from seeing the site gain in popularity, seeing my email box explode, and watching emulator coders get better and better as more and more games started working.

It's like was said earlier...you need to have passion. Some do, some don't, and that's just how it is.

And the midi was neither of those, though both would have been excellent choices!

Zophar

Last edited by Zophar; 08-05-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Zophar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BOY View Post
Nine in 10 volunteers bail as soon as they realize they have to work.
Ah, but the thing is...and maybe this was different back in the day, but more recently, when I was a staffer for a little while back when he was still around, he didn't treat the staffers very well. I remember forgoing sleep many times, trying to update things since ZD sorely needed updates at that time, and just getting 'yelled at' over the internet for it. Not very good inspiration as far as working harder, especially not when you're running on three hours of sleep.

Anyway, it's nice to see the site finally start picking itself up.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
D--

I was more referring to my translation experience. We sent scripts for Der Langrisser and Heroine Anthem to more than 20 people. Of them, I think one ever finished even one file.

I still get emails from people who want to translate Heroine Anthem files. I send the files out, but nothing ever comes back. Usually 2 - 3 people a year, and has gone on for 5 years now. I don't even talk to them: they just volunteer and vanish.
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
Xeon3D

Welcome Brad! It's been a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zophar View Post
That's a good point. Heck, many of the sites fed on each other. I started ZD out of a desire to create a site like Archaic Ruins or Node99, but one that was updated constantly with the latest emulators, as well as that "something extra". That's where ideas like forums, music archives, save/movie archives came from. When "Emu News" hit and they were updating on an hourly basis(!) it really motivated me to keep the files and news flowing like a fountain. And it was a LOT of work...and very time consuming. The rewards were just from seeing the site gain in popularity, seeing my email box explode, and watching emulator coders get better and better as more and more games started working.
Those were the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zophar View Post
It's like was said earlier...you need to have passion. Some do, some don't, and that's just how it is.
Too bad the most of them fill in the later nowadays...

Those were the days...
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #15
Zophar
Original Founder

I know what you mean. How have you been Xeon3d?

"Emulation Forever!"
It lives on...
Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #16
Umiliphus

Your name is bleeding!
I love those stupid little name tags. I always wondered if people made their own or if there was someone whose job that was.
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:36 AM   #17
Zophar
Original Founder

It's been a while but some of the staffers made their own, and others created them for us. I know alamone helped create some and so did infe. I think one of them made mine for me, since I contain no artistic talent whatsoever.

"Emulation Forever!"
It lives on...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 AM   #18
The 9th Sage

I know the one I used was made by me. :P

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #19
lexmetroid

Wow. Just wow.

Although I didn't discover ZD until fairly recently, I never thought I'd hear from the person who started it all. Anyways, I would just like to ask, has the emulation dream changed at all since 2000? And if it has, how so?

You can still find the original Emulation Dream and the Emulation Dream 2000 here on ZD. Has the emulation community evolved in the manner you hoped for?

Thanks!
lexmetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #20
Lillymon

I made my own as well. I believe I was still using Paint Shop Pro 7 back then. I think I did a decent job considering my own lack of artistic talent.