Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Moon Knight

Default Langrisser V (PSX) Hacker needed.

I have the intent and interest to have Langrisser V for the PSX fully translated to english if we can find a Hacker to get the text into the game, I really want this done and will translate is completely if someone can hack the game.

Langrisser V is the final game of the Langrisser series, previous game backstory is not really required at all the enjoy this game as 90% of the story is new information not relating to the previous installments, and all references to old story is explained in detail by the NPCs mentioning it.

Langrisser V is a PSX Strategy RPG using a Hybrid RTS "Judgement" system instead of the old style turn based system, this was introduced in Langrisser IV and improved upon in Langrisser V. This game is HUGE, and a full translation of the 2nd installment of the game is now finished by D and Myself's long months of devoted time along with many others pitching in along the way - Der Langrisser. So if you are a hacker and are interested, PM me for info on getting the Game Ect, check out Der Langrisser if you want a small taste of what this series has to offer.

Reply here or PM me.

Last edited by Moon Knight; 07-22-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Moon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
D--

Here's your font. Get to work making a table. I'm not going to be a part of this translation because I've dealt with enough Langrisser shit to last me forever, plus I hate this game.

The font is large enough where you can probably get away with 2-letter combos on 12x12 tiles the same way alamone did his old Der Langrisser hack and Langrisser II, that is assuming you can't find a PSX hacker who cares to do it the right way. If you do go the ghetto route, Feidian can turn a list of letter combos and a 6x12 font into a big 12x12 font for you to reinsert.

This graphic was produced with `feidian -r 12,12,32,57,0x0` from SYSTEM.BIN.

The script uses all of 0x00 - 0xff in every bank with no dead characters. You can divide the dump into every 256 characters. The first group is 00, second is 01, second is 02. These banks are uses a suffixes, not prefixes. They follow each character rather than come before it. The bank 0xff is used for accessing control codes. The ff byte within it is the control code for end.

So for ランフォード元帥{end}, it is C600 CD00 B200 8600 D100 A600 0E02 0F02 FFFF. This appears throughout the SCEN.DAT and SCEN2.DAT files in the header for each scenario script.

The scenario files themselves are grouped into sectors to minimize seek time when pulling data. Each sector is 0x800 bytes. The first sector contains 32-bit little endian LONG pointers to the locations of each scenario script in the file. You know you hit the end when pointer == filesize. These scenario scripts appear to contain a shitload of data besides text, similar to the ones in Langrisser I&II PSX. As such, it will be necessary to study their format and write the tool to rip them apart and rebuild them with your new text.

All in all, once you figure out how to break up each scenario script, this should be pretty fucking easy to hack assuming you are just going to nigger-rig a 6x12 font onto 12x12 files.

Since I'm feeling like such a benevolent motherfucker today, here's my 6x12 font made for alamone's old crappy tools. Thankfully, we never had to use it before.

And here's what it looks like in Langrisser IV:

UPDATED AGAIN

OK, here you go. l5scen.py is a Python tool I wrote which will bust apart a Langrisser V SCEN file and rebuild a folder full of files back into one. It pads each file back to a multiple of 0x800 to fit the disc sectors. Of course, this doesn't help with getting the script out. The script is sandwiched between other data (including 8-bit raw graphics) in each file written out.

The start of each file is a 32-bit little endian LONG pointer which appears to jump to a section right above where the text begins, but I'm not sure what the values that come at that offset are. It could be line counts? They seem too small to be pointers.

I don't have the game in ISO and using the CDZ extractor made pSX say naughty things to me. On top of that, I don't have a convenient way to view any of the file contents in Japanese since I don't hack games anymore. However, using this you can try to bust the file apart, screw around with things, rebuild and reinsert with CDMage and see what happens. Change some shit around and see if the game breaks or anything changes.

You can't expect a 100 percent complete set of tools to fall in your lap like Der Langrisser. Between this and FEIDIAN, you already have a lot done for you. If you can figure out how the file knows where the script starts and where the data after it ends, I can probably knock out some kind of inserter/extractor for you, and then you'd basically be done. It's your project, so you should be prepared to work on it.

For anyone else who may want to lend a hand, some sample extracted chunks are temporarily available from http://cinnamonpirate.com/l5chunks.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip l5scen.py.zip (1.5 KB, 725 views)

Last edited by D--; 07-21-2008 at 06:50 PM.
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Moon Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BOY View Post
I'm not going to be a part of this translation because I've dealt with enough Langrisser shit to last me forever, plus I hate this game.
I am not going to pursue this idea any farther, the last thing i want is a guilt trip because you're investing time and effort into something you don't want to do, but are doing it out of friendship.

If anyone else is interested in this game, i do hope D-BOYs introductory information helps you considerably.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
D--

There seems to be a magic string:

Code:
01 00 00 01 80 00 00 00 78 80 70 80 30 30 01 02
78 78 00 13 28 13 38 38 02 00 A0 A0 00 10 18 10
This appears in every file. The part before it changes, but everything after it appears to be data. It seems to be a line separating the script from trailing data, but I can't figure out how the game knows where to encounter this. You could try adding some padding before this and rebuilding the SCEN file (just hack some 0x00s off the end) and see what happens. Maybe there is no special pointer and it just comes in wherever the script ends. Only was to find out is trial and error.

Here's a reference table for the font till Eddie comes through:

Last edited by D--; 07-22-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Fairysword

Was a big fan of this classic game langrisser since kid. Played langrisser I,II, IV and V all jap version but still enjoy alot. Recently juz played der langrisser english ver done by u guys and its a realli great job done.

glad to know that there is this thread of finding ppl to help out in the project of translating the langrisser V this final game altought i am a noob in hacking rom and can't help. Just hope that u guys can find the ppl needed for this dream project to start...

for now, will go start playing warsong to understand the story of langrisser1 that i have played 2 times(sega ver & PS1 ver)already but still not knowing the true story...
Fairysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
D--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairysword View Post
for now, will go start playing warsong to understand the story of langrisser1 that i have played 2 times(sega ver & PS1 ver)already but still not knowing the true story...
I translated Langrisser I for PC back in 2003 ... you could always get that. Don't ask where. That's against the forum rules.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
Fairysword

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BOY View Post
I translated Langrisser I for PC back in 2003 ... you could always get that. Don't ask where. That's against the forum rules.

oh ya i knw that there is a translated ver for langrisser 1 pc ver.. but actually is there huge diff in gameplay and graphic between warsong and lang1 as the lang1 d/l will take very long as there is no more seeder?? i knw the unit design is better than warsong as it is the same as der langrisser instead of the "deformed" warsong soldier..
Old 07-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
D--

Warsong soldiers weren't really deformed ...

Basically it works like this. Warsong was remade with a much enhanced script on PC-Engine CD. This script was taken and put into the Der Langrisser engine on Langrisser I&II PSX. This version of Langrisser I was ported to Dramatic Edition on Saturn and to PC Windows.

It's essentially the same as Langrisser I PSX, but the translation uses the original CDDA from the PC-Engine CD game while the engine an graphics come from the PSX remake.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
Moon Knight

Looks like this actually might get underway... we'll see.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
Fairysword

hi all.. any update on this project or has it already been put off?