Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Sure does lol.
I like stupid text hacks :P
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #22
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0k0them0nkey View Post
Fair enough. At least each of my hacks will make an interesting read for people viewing this thread.
You know, that's true. lol

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #23
Koolboyman

Name: Super Impossible Bros
Username: graham mod
Description: a hack of mario 1 and it is hard

No, this is not a hack of Mario 1. It's the original Mario Bros with nothing changed. What's worse, this is a ROM.

As a reminder if you made a mistake submitting your real ROM hack, I won't accept it if its one of those "Hard" hacks that require pixel perfect jumps and loading save states hundreds of times. Hacks are supposed to be fun, not brag that it's "hard".
Koolboyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #24
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolboyman View Post
No, this is not a hack of Mario 1. It's the original Mario Bros with nothing changed. What's worse, this is a ROM.
Out of curiosity, did you do a compare between the submitted ROM and the original to make sure there wasn't some underlying code changes that weren't immediately apparent when playing the game? (A really simple way to do this is to use Lunar IPS to create a patch and select the same file for both the original and edited files, it will tell you to try using different files.) You're probably right, but it seems odd that an unmodified ROM would be submitted twice in such a short period of time. (I really need to finish my document on how to properly release a hack, not only how to create a patch but how to write a useful readme file as well.)

Quote:
As a reminder if you made a mistake submitting your real ROM hack, I won't accept it if its one of those "Hard" hacks that require pixel perfect jumps and loading save states hundreds of times. Hacks are supposed to be fun, not brag that it's "hard".
Quite a few people find those sort of hacks to be fun. Now, I would still require such hacks to involve interesting (in this case, damn near ingenius) level design, but I wouldn't absolutely refuse all such hacks automatically. (Have you ever played I Wanna Be The Guy? The creators request that you download the demo first before downloading the full game, based on the assumption that most people will get frustrated and quit before the third room, so no reason to waste their bandwidth on the full game. I'm stuck in the third room. )
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #25
Koolboyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
Out of curiosity, did you do a compare between the submitted ROM and the original to make sure there wasn't some underlying code changes that weren't immediately apparent when playing the game? (A really simple way to do this is to use Lunar IPS to create a patch and select the same file for both the original and edited files, it will tell you to try using different files.) You're probably right, but it seems odd that an unmodified ROM would be submitted twice in such a short period of time. (I really need to finish my document on how to properly release a hack, not only how to create a patch but how to write a useful readme file as well.)
I forgot to mention, the zip came with a readme that said where to get ROMS, had some stuff about how there's satanic messages on the $1 bill, and the ROM itself said it was last modified in 1996 (again).

Quote:
Quite a few people find those sort of hacks to be fun. Now, I would still require such hacks to involve interesting (in this case, damn near ingenius) level design, but I wouldn't absolutely refuse all such hacks automatically. (Have you ever played I Wanna Be The Guy? The creators request that you download the demo first before downloading the full game, based on the assumption that most people will get frustrated and quit before the third room, so no reason to waste their bandwidth on the full game. I'm stuck in the third room. )
Well the majority of Youtube "hard" hacks just use ideas from other games with poor level design. People make crap like this every single day, just trying to copy Kaizo. Youtube gives an unfortunate stereotype to hacks.

Kaizo was a good game, because it used original ideas to overcome obstacles. If Kaizo was submitted here, I would accept it. Now, everyone just uses the ideas from that game into theirs because they have none of their own. If it is done right, with original ideas, is FUN, and has at least C- level design, I can accept it.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #26
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Kaizo was fun.
Hard hacks are on occasion fun when you get your rewind, save and load state buttons on your ps2 usb controller and take turns with friends and stuff...
Old 03-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #27
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolboyman View Post
If Kaizo was submitted here, I would accept it.
Just so you know, Kaizo was apparently released with a caveat not to post it on sites other than the Japanese site on which it was posted. As the original distribution site is 2ch, you might want to honor those wishes, as a pissed off 2ch is not fun. (Also, Kaizo just means "mod", the actual name is apparently Super Mario Mix 4 or some such.)

Some day, I'll finish my SMB hack, if only to use the one "trap" I devised that I rather enjoy. While you're pretty much guaranteed to die the first time you encounter it, it is completely obvious how to pass it after that, it's just a matter of getting your timing right. (It usually takes me 4 or 5 tries, but my reflexes aren't particularly high caliber when it comes to that sort of thing.) I had originally designed the level for the Super Mario Remix, but they deemed it too difficult for official inclusion.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:59 AM   #28
jarethhx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
Kaizo was fun.
Hard hacks are on occasion fun when you get your rewind, save and load state buttons on your ps2 usb controller and take turns with friends and stuff...
LMAO! I do the exact thing. I just bought this thing called: UNIVERSAL USB CONVERTER, works like a charm! I set save state 0 on L1, Load state 0 on
R1, fast foward on my L3 and rewind on R3. XD L2 and R2 are my default SNES "L&R" buttons. :P Sorry I'll shut up now.
jarethhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #29
Koolboyman

Quote:
Just so you know, Kaizo was apparently released with a caveat not to post it on sites other than the Japanese site on which it was posted. As the original distribution site is 2ch, you might want to honor those wishes, as a pissed off 2ch is not fun.
Sounds reasonable enough. If people don't want their work here, it doesn't have to be.

More ROMS submitted!

Username: gsavage
Name: SK1
Description: Knuckles In Sonic 1
This is a ROM. Submit an IPS file.

Name: Very Tricky Levels
Username: kamilek7173
Description: N/A
This is also a ROM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #30
Koolboyman

Name: Super Kevin World
Hack of: Super Mario World
Author: BloodyBanana
Description: A short, 8-level hack with moderate to hard difficulty. Graphic changes. Completely re-done overworld.

It's a fun hack if you can get into it.

Why it was removed:
- Bad Level design
- Using ideas from Kazio (Which almost every Youtube mario hack does).
- Easy to get lives
- Have to abuse glitches to complete a level
- One level you need a fireflower to destroy blocks with. Problem is, a floating chomper is blocking one of the blocks that you need to destroy to pass, and you can't destroy that block unless you get hit by the chomper and run over it, where you lose your fireflower ability and the only way to exit the level is to die on purpose.