Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 10-13-2009, 03:58 AM   #21
FleshCage

Anyway, on the news they were talking about it being sold out. I don't give a shit how they get it. That's not the point. The medicine was the point. Quit trying to shoot me down every chance you get.

This is the internet. No one exists past your computer screen.
FleshCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #22
InVerse

No amount of media hype is going to convince a doctor to prescribe a drug that's not helpful. Sure, there are some doctors that will prescribe anything if the patient has the money, but there aren't enough of those to make a national impact. And flu medicines sell out every year, that's nothing new. Plain old regular flu is shitty enough (pun fully intended) that a large number of people will gladly pay to avoid getting it. Nobody has to create fake hype in order to make a buck on flu prevention.

The medicine wasn't the point, the source of the hype is the point. I'm not shooting you down personally, I'm shooting down false and/or misinterpreted information in general.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:05 AM   #23
FleshCage

the point of what I was saying. not the thread.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:08 AM   #24
InVerse

But your original point was that the media was creating hype just to sell the medicine. And my point was that there's absolutely no reason for them to do so.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #25
FleshCage

Doctors do it, why can't the media. They're all in the same orgy since there's money involved.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #26
InVerse

But what would the media gain from it? Is the pharmaceutical industry paying the media to hype up a medicine that routinely sells out year in and year out? Why would you create false demand for something when you can't meet the legitimate demand in the first place?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #27
FleshCage

People get paid for commercial time, right?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:33 AM   #28
InVerse

Maybe it's different in your area, but I've never once seen a commercial for Oseltamivir.

But again, I think you're completely missing my point.... Why would anyone create false hype for a product that's already selling beyond the manufacturer's ability to create it? What good does it do you to convince 10,000,000 people to buy your product if you only have 5,000,000 of the item available and have already sold 7,500,000 copies? You don't make any money on having a bunch of people wanting to buy something that you can't create. Nor does supply and demand affect the price of pharmaceuticals. The drug costs the same regardless of demand. So there is absolutely no financial benefit to anyone in the media or the pharmaceutical company derived from falsely hyping an already popular drug.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:33 AM   #29
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshCage View Post
People get paid for commercial time, right?
Nope, it's to boost the price of their stock. I can imagine the executives of these companies have tons of stock from the options they bought years ago and by pushing this it gets Wall Street investment firms to stupidly throw money at them. Now if the stock goes up they sell and now they are not only making money of the product but off of the stocks they just sold. Now they wait and then when the hysteria is over the price goes down again and they rebuy the stock they just sold and still have a bunch of money left over or they just take that money and reinvest it somewhere with a higher margin of profit.

I myself if I had enough money would buy a few houses at fire sale prices. Wait a couple of years and double my money when the market for housing comes back.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #30
FleshCage

I'm not saying there are literally commercials.
why is there such a big deal if the swine flu is nothing to worry about. It's all theory, so to speak. I'm not saying that IS what they're doing. Jeeze Mr. Einstein, I'd think that since you act like you know everything else you'd realize that.