Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 AM   #11
jdev

It's real. It's just not dangerous. Unless you're a baby, a really old person or you have a compromised immune system. It's basically an influenza variant that has half the effects of the flu and half the effects of a cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
It's not so much dangerous but there have been recent statistics showing that there is around a 30% higher chance you will get the flu if you get the vaccine. I was really shocked when I heard this, I think it was on CNN. I think it's because a lot of people immune systems suck so bad from bad lifestyles the vaccine actually weakens them more than making them stronger.
A lot of vaccines work by giving you a weakened version of the disease, a sort of strawman for your immune system. So you often get a very mild version of the disease you're being vaccinated for, although not all vaccines work that way. You really shouldn't be vaccinated for something like the flu unless you have a bad immune system, anyway. Healthy people only really need vaccines for things like polio and smallpox.
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:22 AM   #12
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by puduhead View Post
When the story broke, that first 48 hours was an apocalypse for anyone watching cable news. It was exciting to me even though I knew better... I love the end of the world!
Heh, well I had this friend...I kept trying to tell her things were going to be fine, but thanks to the news, she was getting freaked out. :P At my job I kept having people asking if I was scared of H1N1 as well. Like I told them..."No...not especially." I think this dumbfounded some of the people...I guess THAT was pretty funny. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
A lot of vaccines work by giving you a weakened version of the disease, a sort of strawman for your immune system. So you often get a very mild version of the disease you're being vaccinated for, although not all vaccines work that way. You really shouldn't be vaccinated for something like the flu unless you have a bad immune system, anyway. Healthy people only really need vaccines for things like polio and smallpox.
That's just it...you may well get a bit of a flu when taking the vaccine because of the way they often work. :P People (the News anyway) act like this is a revelation when it makes logical sense.

Anyway, I could see a vaccine for this being a good thing for people who work with the public a lot (especially those in a medical profession). I've considered it...I mean, I'm not a doctor or anything, but at my work a lot of people do come and go each day. Then again, I don't think I've ever gotten sick from something someone at my work has had unless they were a coworker.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
jdev

Unless people cough or spit in your mouth, you're not that likely to get sick. Even doctors and nurses don't really get sick more often than most people, and when they do, it's often because of something that should make you sick, like coming into contact with bodily fluids or getting stuck with a needle.
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #14
Reaper man

Again, Maddox hits the nail on the head.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
Unless people cough or spit in your mouth, you're not that likely to get sick. Even doctors and nurses don't really get sick more often than most people, and when they do, it's often because of something that should make you sick, like coming into contact with bodily fluids or getting stuck with a needle.
As a precaution more than anything. I mean, some people don't exactly cover their mouths no matter how sick they are. For doctors (et al) I mean. Chances are I'll come to the conclusion that I don't really need it (I'm 99% of the way there already).

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Cornellius

We're all going to get it sooner or later. Blame the media for the sudden emergency, as this type of flu existed years ago.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
FleshCage

I think my immune system is super awesome. My boyfriend for example got the flu and I stayed the night with him the entire time. I didn't get sick at all. And all growing up, I never got the flu to begin with. My mom and sister, and sometimes my brother would get it, and I'd hear them throwing up in the bathroom, and I'd be contently well in my room. I'd get bronchitis, but that's it. I had it when I was a kid for like 2 years. As a result, I'm one of those people who coughs like a dog bark. Other than that, I've never gotten the flu, or anything else bad for that matter. I've gotten a bug once or twice.
I went to the hospital recently for something (ovaries) and I was sitting next to a woman and her child who had very obvious flu symptoms. We actually, at one point were surrounded by flu infested people. the people I was with were freaking out. There I was as calm as a Hindu cow, knowing I'd be super fine.

I think it's all a ploy as well, the media explosion. It's so they can get people out the running to the closest drug store for that medicine. Everything comes down to making money. That's all this is. Sure there's an illness, but the hype is massive. I'd be more worried if there was a new outbreak of some crazy form of the bubonic plague than I am about this.

This is the internet. No one exists past your computer screen.
FleshCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshCage View Post
I think it's all a ploy as well, the media explosion. It's so they can get people out the running to the closest drug store for that medicine.
What medicine? The only flu medicine sold in drug stores is to alleviate symptoms after you've already been infected by the flu. There are no preventative flu measures available over the counter.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #19
FleshCage

that tamiflu shit. http://www.canadamedicineshop.com/in...FRtO2godkQqywQ

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&sa...ed=0CBoQsQQwAA

This is the internet. No one exists past your computer screen.
FleshCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #20
InVerse

First of all, Oseltamivir isn't over-the-counter medication. It's only available via prescription. Furthermore, less than 1% of this year's strain of H1N1 has demonstrated sensitivity to Oseltamivir, so if the media hype over the virus is intended to market Oseltamivir, they're about a year too late.

I'm curious, to the people who actually believe that H1N1 is a propaganda device created by the government... Does that mean that the Backstreet Boys are government agents?

Are all of the previously healthy children who have succumbed to H1N1 being murdered by the government and/or media so as to lend credence to their hype? I mean, more people have already died from the flu this season than normally die during a full flu season and we still have another six months to go. If the entire thing is a hoax, then either someone is slaughtering innocent people or else they've created swine flu to cover up something even worse. Or are they just lying about all of these people who have died from the virus?
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote