Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 01-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #71
Edman
Administrator

Aww, guys, don't diss FF7. Its one of my favourites as well. Haven't played it for so long.

I actually found zophar.net because of FF7. You see, one thing leads to another - by playing FF7 I thought, well if this one's so cool, what are the older ones like. So I decided I wanted to play FF1. I had no access to a NES and as a kid no means to buy one, so I looked for options to play it on the PC, and voila, zophar.net is where I got my emulation fix, I think it was back in 2000 or maybe even earlier.

Thinking about one thing leading to another, I mostly played FF1, FF3, FF7 and FF8, and I used to read strategies a lot on the internet. Once I became very very good at the games, I started writing my own strategies, then working on final fantasy websites. At the 4th final fantasy website I worked on, I got tired of updating the site using HTML files, learned basic programming and coded a PHP backend. And that's how my web programmer's career started off.

So yeah... god knows where I'd be right now if instead of spending a thousand hours playing final fantasy I would've done something else. Probably would've gotten laid a lot more.

About the game itself, back when I was 14 years old I thought it was damn good, and that's pretty much all that matters to me as I haven't played any games for about 5 years (except the obligatory daily minesweeper round).
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #72
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
About the game itself, back when I was 14 years old I thought it was damn good, and that's pretty much all that matters to me as I haven't played any games for about 5 years (except the obligatory daily minesweeper round).
At the risk of going off topic :P, why don't you play any more? Because you don't have as much free time perhaps?

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #73
Edman
Administrator

Its the way I am, I get addicted quickly and do the same thing over and over until it kind of dies on me. Later on I can reflect on the good times I had but never really get into it again.

Between ages of 12 and 16 I spent several thousand hours playing few games, like Civilization, Age of Empires II, FF1, FF3, FF7, FF8. I once spent an average of 12 hours a day for 6 days straight playing Final Fantasy 8, at that time it was a very usual spring break. I started to even write guides for them (here's my gamefaqs profile: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/rec...21.html?type=1 - though some people have certainly done even better stuff than me in the last few years), make websites.

It was about 2003 I suddenly found myself bored to tears with gaming. The old games had been played to death and none of the new ones appealed to me. It was time to move on to the next thing. Occasionally I give either Civ, FF7 or FF8 a whirl for the sake of nostalgia but that's pretty much it.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #74
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
It was about 2003 I suddenly found myself bored to tears with gaming. The old games had been played to death and none of the new ones appealed to me. It was time to move on to the next thing. Occasionally I give either Civ, FF7 or FF8 a whirl for the sake of nostalgia but that's pretty much it.
I suppose I could see you getting burnt out. It's happened to me...not with videogames so much, but with other things when I've done them that much (urgh, back in the day when the site was at it's height and I was obsessively modding the boards....that's one example I remember well lol).

I'd say I play less, but then as soon as I go to say that I realize my focus has just shifted a bit to portable systems. I still play consoles and other games though.

Twitter
Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #75
Saent

FF7 was a good game, first Final Fantasy game I played.

At the beginning of the game when you see Aeris, the building says "Loveless: 6/25".. that's my birthday. It was funny, I played it for like three years and didn't notice it.

Facebook
Last.FM
My website
Saent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #76
shadowdorothy

The cross overs in FF7 always make me laugh. I don't know why most people don't notice them. Like the Highwind and Cid. both are names of characters from previous games. and how rune sword looks like wyrm slayer from FF1.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #77
Haoie

I checked my save game earlier last week.

Apparently I stopped right after going a ways into the Northern Crater, to the point where you need to split into 2 parties.
Haoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #78
jarethhx

Have you guys seen that video of FF7 remake? What's up with that anyways. Is there gonna be one, or was that just a bullshit tease.
jarethhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #79
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarethhx View Post
Have you guys seen that video of FF7 remake? What's up with that anyways. Is there gonna be one, or was that just a bullshit tease.
I know they used a realtime render (and new and improved) render of FF VII as an example of what the Playstation 3 could do, but I don't think they have ever confirmed an actual remake of FF VII.

Personally, I wish that Squeenix would spend more time making original games. I mean, I love my Dragon Quest and my Final Fantasy, but when I see them bring out a fantastic original game such as "The World Ends With You" I just wonder what they could actually do if they put their minds to new stuff rather than remakes.

Twitter