Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Sphynx

Default Enhancing Pokémon Crystal

I'm gonna get straight to the point on this one.

Basically, I love TWO Pokémon games. These wonderful two are Crystal and FireRed/LeafGreen. I like Crystal because of the story and everything, BUT the graphics. I feel so uncomfortable and makes me not want to play it even though it's by far my most favorable.

To me, this is where FR/LG can come in and save the day. I was hoping there could be someway I can take the tiles, sprites, everything from there and put that into Crystal. If there weren't things from FR/LG, I'll even take Emerald at a last resort.

TL;DR Is there anyway to make Crystal look better?
Sphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
The 9th Sage

Well, you do realize that a GBC game is unlikely to be able to handle GBA graphics, right?

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Sphynx

Well, hold on there chap.
A (sub)prime example would be the transfer of Pearl to GBA.
This guy, [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBL9AenRLeA"]KenBuddY1985[/URL] "got his hands on some cool tiles and sprites and redesigned the maps and everything..."
ALSO, I want to do something similar to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ajy1Ofh20&feature=related"]this[/URL].
Sphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
sephiroth111

the short form is, if you can draw an entire games tiles, sprites, and all that, then figure out how to basically disassemble the entire game, then you can convert crystal to pearl or the ds versions. youd actually be better off using the ds versions because they contain all pokemon to date.

but hey , run a muk (pun intended)
sephiroth111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
The 9th Sage

What I'm trying to say is that while you could probably redraw all the sprites/tiles to match better with the GBA games, you aren't going to be able to just copy/paste GBA graphics into a Gameboy Color game and expect them to work.

The graphical capabilities of the GBC just aren't good enough to do that. I think the sprites are higher resolution, and at the very least the GBA can handle far more colors, as well as more sprites at once.

Also, the video isn't exactly transfering Pearl to GBA to me, it's hacking one of the GBA Pokemon games to be like Pearl. He's got a lot of work ahead of him for that if he's going to change the entire script and events. There's no way someone could snap their fingers and cram the DS game into a GBA cart.

Twitter
Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
sephiroth111

actually, i meant take crystal and port it tothe ds using the soul spins. youd need a tool like PKHack to get everything done though.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth111 View Post
actually, i meant take crystal and port it tothe ds using the soul spins. youd need a tool like PKHack to get everything done though.
Actually, wasn't Crystal a variation on Silver and Gold? Might be possible to hack SoulSilver or HeartGold (I *think* there are such tools available, at least I think there was for Pearl/Diamond/Platinum). All I know is I have a version of Platinum here in which I can catch every single Pokemon including many that normally need an event.

Twitter
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
sephiroth111

the event pokemon always kinda ticked me off, there was never any event around where i lived, and my mom didn't feel like driving over an hour just for a pokemon. I just dont see the point to having it.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth111 View Post
the event pokemon always kinda ticked me off, there was never any event around where i lived, and my mom didn't feel like driving over an hour just for a pokemon. I just dont see the point to having it.
At least it's easier these days since you can get a lot of special items over WiFi that do that kind of thing. Also...this has nothing to do with anything, but I'm probably one of the few people with a legitimate (ie not cheated for) Mew. I won this Nintendo Power contest back years ago about the time that Pokemon Yellow came out. Probably still have the cart somewhere....good times.

Twitter
Old 04-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

I accidentally deleted my legitimate mew that I won at Toys R Us. You had a 1 in 10 chance when you bought a game. Got it first try, fortunately.