Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Emulation News

View Poll Results: What's your stance on ZD hosting ROMs?
Hell yeah! That would be kickass. 6 16.22%
It'd be nice. If not, then that's okay. 9 24.32%
I don't give a damn either way. 4 10.81%
I wouldn't like it. If so, then that's okay. 2 5.41%
Screw that! ZD isn't a place for ROMs! 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #51
Rattlehead

Same ol' song and dance, every post.

Click here to level up my card!

Old 07-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #52
cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post

17 U.S.C. 1201(a)(1)
"...computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace."
The only exemption this clause provides for is when circumventing copy protection systems to access materials for archival purposes. This has absolutely nothing to do with distributing copyrighted materials, which is illegal no matter how you slice it.

Cartridge-era games didn't even implement any 'copy protection systems' to be circumvented, so the whole point might be moot, but corporations can spin anything into gold if they try hard enough, so who knows.

AFAIK, it has never been illegal to create a backup of ROM data from a game cartridge.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #53
Xeon3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_importer View Post
Couple of things:

1- PlanetEmu and other sites aren't still Online because they haven't been caught, they're still Online because game companies don't give two fucks as long as they keep it old school (I'm sure that any of those sites start hosting NDS ROMs, they'll be shut down).
We're not PlanetEmu. We're speaking about ZD here in case you didn't notice. Stop giving examples of other sites, or are you going to turn into a Serial killer as I've wrote in a previous post? You registered and 90% of your posts have been in this thread. Why the hell do want ZD to host roms so much? Go download them at PlanetEmu ffs.

Quote:
2- Rule 45
Anyone on the Internet going on record stating that they are against a form of piracy are pirates themselves.

[...]

These people could be defined as hypocrites for judging people on doing something that they do themselves. The only explanation of this behavior would be fear of getting caught or fear of judgment.
[...]
Dude, tell me, where I have said that I didn't pirate, nor that I didn't have illegal ROMs... I was saying that I was against ZD distributing ROMs!

Example: I'm also against running a stripping club here where I live. But I wouldn't mind going to one.

Also, thanks for the clarification. I didn't think of searching Urbandictionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparroHawc View Post
Ahh, clarification! Thanks for defining the rule. (But why 45?)

It's getting a little off the topic, though - the question isn't whether or not Xeon3D has illegal roms, but whether or not Zophar's Domain should host illegal material.
Yes, it seems it's turning to a personal attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparroHawc View Post
I'm viewing it in my previous comment as a question of risk. ROMs themselves are high-risk; music rips are low-risk. They aren't no-risk, I will admit, and if they disappear I wouldn't cry about it. I'd miss them, but I wouldn't be heartbroken. The only legality issue in regards to the music isn't 'can we legally host these files?' because as Xeon pointed out, the definitive answer is no, it isn't legal. Instead, the question is 'will anyone get upset at us for hosting these files?' So far the answer seems to be no, but there is always the possibility this will change, and it isn't the sort of thing the ZD administrators should fight for as it isn't the main focus of the site.
Note: The main focus of the site was to be an Emulation Archive. And I really can't fit commercial roms distribution into the definition of Emulation Archive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Same ol' song and dance, every post.
True.. True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
The only exemption this clause provides for is when circumventing copy protection systems to access materials for archival purposes. This has absolutely nothing to do with distributing copyrighted materials, which is illegal no matter how you slice it.

Cartridge-era games didn't even implement any 'copy protection systems' to be circumvented, so the whole point might be moot, but corporations can spin anything into gold if they try hard enough, so who knows.

AFAIK, it has never been illegal to create a backup of ROM data from a game cartridge.
Nope, as long as you did it yourself with your own tools for a game you own. It's called a backup copy, like you can make of a music CD.

Also, I'm gonna stop posting in this thread. It's not the first one that I've seen about this, nor it'll be the last. There will always be two opinions and none of the sides are willing to give up. I've made my point here and a few agreed with (at least most of) it, so I'm happy. ZD is still "hosting" commercial roms. That decision wasn't mine nor did I condone it. I wouldn't give a flying .... if X, Y or Z started distributing roms. I download some myself. I can't (or couldn't) see ZD distributing them. My problem is just that.

Watching a site that was once one of if not the most popular website about emulation in the true meaning of the word, which had a no-piracy rule and for which I was proud of being a part of, now getting mixed with the ROM sharing sites.

The following statement is a joke. ->
Also, I'll leave leaving a question in the air. I got a copy of No$GBA 2.6a (note, I don't use Windows/Wine in either way so I can't really use it), should I upload it? Maybe even make a newspost about it?<- Do not take the last statement seriously.

Last edited by Xeon3D; 07-20-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:20 AM   #54
The 9th Sage

Quote:
-Common_Sense_Guy8080: Rule 45 man!!! You're probably typing this on your PC with a cracked copy of Windows XP, listening to music downloaded via Lime Wire and watching bootlegged movies on your TV that you got via Bitorrent.[/i]
....but you are missing the fact that this is not relevant. It is still illegal. If you pirate, or not, you're fooling yourself if you think it's legal.

Twitter
Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 AM   #55
The 9th Sage

Jeez, nevermind. I can't read this thread anymore. :P It's getting painful and angsty.

Twitter
Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #56
the_importer

Quote:
We're not PlanetEmu. We're speaking about ZD here in case you didn't notice. Stop giving examples of other sites, or are you going to turn into a Serial killer as I've wrote in a previous post? You registered and 90% of your posts have been in this thread. Why the hell do want ZD to host roms so much? Go download them at PlanetEmu ffs.
Again, you're missing the point. I couldn't care less if Zophar hosts ROMs or not, what I care is that you're still making it as bad as people did back in 1998. Things have change since then and even if Zophar doesn't host ROMs, it doesn't mean that it should compare the ROM scene to the same level as people who download NDS, PSP, Wii, PS3 and XBOX360 games. In case you weren't aware of it, the emulation scene kind of made a rule of thumb about 5 or 6 years ago that it wouldn't distribute games from systems that were still on the market and that it wouldn't host any games that were less than 4 years old. Many ROM sites follow this rule and I think it's quite honorable of them to do so.

Quote:
Dude, tell me, where I have said that I didn't pirate, nor that I didn't have illegal ROMs... I was saying that I was against ZD distributing ROMs!
Hmm, let's see, does this sound familiar:
Quote:
I'm done discussing this. I already made my point. You made yours. Do what you want to do. As if I fuckin care. ROM Kiddiez will always be ROM Kiddiez.
So either you called yourself a ROM Kiddy or Rule 45 made you spilled your guts

Quote:
The following statement is a joke. ->
Also, I'll leave leaving a question in the air. I got a copy of No$GBA 2.6a (note, I don't use Windows/Wine in either way so I can't really use it), should I upload it? Maybe even make a newspost about it?<- Do not take the last statement seriously.
Knock yourself out, it's kind of crappy anyway, don't think many people would want to use it.

Quote:
....but you are missing the fact that this is not relevant. It is still illegal. If you pirate, or not, you're fooling yourself if you think it's legal.
And I think you're missing some reading comprehension skills. Where did I ever mention that ROMs were legal? Only thing I stated is that there are different levels of piracy and that old school emulation falls into the bottom. If it wasn't, all of these ROM sites that have been around for years would be gone by now just like the ones that distribute current generation games.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #57
Umiliphus

Maybe they are run by sorcerers!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #58
mushroom blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardmelan View Post
I am a member of "Generation Y". And I'm a pirate. This appears to be a culture that is quickly becoming mainstream, especially in America. You can get anything from the media in some bootleg way. Movies on DVD while they're in theater. Non-DRM MP3s from torrent files. Chiptunes. Video games ROMs. ISOs.
Lawrence Lessig had a wonderful TED Talk on exactly this subject. the synopsis is that my generation and your generation (and all successive generations) have been taught that they are going to break the law on a day-to-day basis. we do it with movies, music, television, video games, drugs, jaywalking, peeing in public, etc. it's one of the first signs of corporate facism. at least Portugal and Quebec have a reasonably fair version of benevolent facism implemented, where the only time it gets in your way is when you break one of the few laws. the facism in America seems to be run by those with the most money, at the cost of everyone else. laws are made to ensure revenue for a few, rather than ensure liberty for the many.

just remember: in a fully free-market, there are no copyright restrictions.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #59
the_importer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom blue View Post
Lawrence Lessig had a wonderful TED Talk on exactly this subject. the synopsis is that my generation and your generation (and all successive generations) have been taught that they are going to break the law on a day-to-day basis. we do it with movies, music, television, video games, drugs, jaywalking, peeing in public, etc. it's one of the first signs of corporate facism. at least Portugal and Quebec have a reasonably fair version of benevolent facism implemented, where the only time it gets in your way is when you break one of the few laws. the facism in America seems to be run by those with the most money, at the cost of everyone else. laws are made to ensure revenue for a few, rather than ensure liberty for the many.

just remember: in a fully free-market, there are no copyright restrictions.
The music industry claimed that it would die if the market allowed cassette recorders on the market. Did it happen? No

The TV stations once claimed that the BETA Max and VHS would kill TV if they were allowed to be on the market. Did it happen? No

Same shit was claimed about CD burner, DVD burners, MP3 players, etc...

Fact is, even old shit like News Papers, comic books and the Radio are still alive today, a form of media is just too hard to kill.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #60
Umiliphus

You should lobby congress!
Closed Thread