Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 09-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
Adremalech The Wroth

i have to agree with cornellius on this one i think the only reason people don't like st. anger is because its by metallica, i mean if any other band had released this album it would have been loved. but on the subject of death magnetic i love that some of the solos remind me of ride the lightning.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
MegaManJuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adremalech The Wroth View Post
i have to agree with cornellius on this one i think the only reason people don't like st. anger is because its by metallica, i mean if any other band had released this album it would have been loved. but on the subject of death magnetic i love that some of the solos remind me of ride the lightning.
That may be the case in regards to St. Anger for some people, but I think I'd still feel the same way if it was another band. Disregarding the previously mentioned sound quality issues, it came across to me as a forced effort, in a way. What I mean is, they tried really hard to make longer songs, but they seemed to get lost along the way, with whole sections of songs that felt dragged out just because they could (at least it felt that way to me).

Maybe it's the reduced solos, or maybe it's something else entirely, but in any case, it really did nothing for me as a whole. I can listen to about any song on the album by itself, and somewhat appreciate it, but I can't bring myself to listen to the whole album at once (I inevitably end up changing to something else partway through any attempt to do so).

A friend and I used to joke that they got so pissed off with people stealing thier music through Napster, that they specifically crafted St. Anger to be an album nobody would want to pirate. :P
MegaManJuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Ugly Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaManJuno View Post
What I mean is, they tried really hard to make longer songs, but they seemed to get lost along the way, with whole sections of songs that felt dragged out just because they could (at least it felt that way to me).
Agreed 100%. For a little while, I considered trying to edit the songs down to 3.5 - 4 minutes each, just to see if the album would become tolerable.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #14
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
Well, while I do think that Metallica > Megadeth, at least for me, I really love Megadeth too. I think Risk is Megadeth's St. Anger.
Exactly. It just took Metallica a few years longer to recover from their "black sheep" album. The World Needs a Hero was a good recovery album, IMO. I wonder if Metallica will be releasing an album in 2010, since it seems "coincidental" that Megadeth released United Abominations last year and Metallica released Death Magnetic this year. I mean, it's already been hinted by Dave that a new Megadeth album is gonna be released next year...I'm psyched for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaManJuno View Post
Except that Risk is still miles above St. Anger on the listenable scale... Haven't heard the new Metallica one yet, but plan to pick it up. Sure Load and Reload weren't true to the old Metallica form, but still had some decent songs, IMO... and were listenable, at least. The pingy drums (and general overall sound quality) on St. Anger I think irritate me more than anything else about the album. They may have started out as a garage band, with shitty sound quality, but they aren't one now. Purposefully ruining the sound quality to somehow try to sound more "true", was just a really shitty decison in my book.
I've only heard a little of St. Anger, myself not being a big Metallica fan. What I did hear was pretty godawful. Risk? Eh, it's got a few worthwhile songs on it. "Crush 'Em", "Prince of Darkness", and "Insomnia" stand out to me. I can actually relate to Insomnia, which makes it my personal fave, and the only song off of Risk that I can actually sing the lyrics to (fairly well). As for Metallica, I like "Whiplash", "Master of Puppets", and "Insanitarium".

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
MegaManJuno

It's funny you mention The World Needs a Hero as a "recovery album", because to me, that was the 2nd "black sheep" behind their initial debut (even though Metallica "stole" the song, Four Horsemen was a much better song than Mechanix, for one). :P

Regarding Death Magnetic, I picked it up on the way home from work yesterday. I've only listened to about half the album so far, but from what I have, I can already say it's shaping up to be a much better album than St. Anger in my book.
MegaManJuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #16
Adremalech The Wroth

so far i've enjoyed it very much. no master of puppets but eh it's good enough.