Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 05-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
Essee

Default VBA Sound Trouble

I have been using Visual Boy Advance 1.7.2 for a long time, and it has worked beautifully in all respects (zero slowdown, perfect emulation of graphics and sound)-- until a week or two ago. So! Originally the sound was working perfectly. Even though I made NO software setting or hardware changes between when I had no problems and now, I have started getting fuzzy sound for periods of about 1-3 seconds. I think the period between fuzzings is usually about 15 seconds, but it varies a bit. The emulation speed shown also seems to drop from 99/100% to 96 AFTER it happens each time, although there doesn't seem to be a change in the speed of the gameplay itself. The game I'm playing has no effect; games that used to play fine months or even a week before this started happening all have this problem now. None of the other programs on my computer, even other emulators, are having this problem in the least, either, so I think something is now going wrong within my emulator.

I have already tried playing with several settings in an attempt to get this to work (mostly in the sound settings, although I did turn off my chosen graphics filter at least once), but no success. I scanned my computer (even though I was sure there wouldn't be anything to find) and I don't have some random virus/spyware/adware that ONLY targets VBA. Being an audiophile (and frequently choosing my games FOR their music/sound), this is becoming VERY frustrating for me. I would try redownloading the emulator except A) I am on dial-up, and more importantly B) I don't want to risk accidentally losing any of my saves, because I recall I attempted to move ZSNES to a different directory once, with all my saves in that folder, and when I started a game that is VERY difficult to restore progress from, even savestates, it had overwritten my original save with a blank one as if it couldn't see the save file I had. I'd prefer not to take my chances again.

Does anyone have any clues as to the problem, or advice on how to fix it, short of a reinstall? I can post my specs if anyone wants, but since they have not changed between the time it was working and now, I don't think those will help. Thanks in advance!
<P ID="signature"></P>
Essee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Essee

Default Re: VBA Sound Trouble

I hate to bump my post, but I can't edit it at this point. Sorry!
Changing the frameskip from 0 to 1 (keep in mind, VBA was working FINE before on 0 frameskip) seems to have fixed the sound problem, but because this runs the game at 30 FPS instead of 60, I don't like the choppiness that is produced. I tried changing the frameskip back to 0 to see if simply having changed it would do the trick, but the problem came back. Does anyone have a solution to this that would allow me to run my games at 60 FPS, as I used to? I would very much appreciate any reply at this point, even if it's a wild guess... It's been driving me nuts. ><
<P ID="signature"></P>
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
blargg

Sounds like your computer may have gotten slower in the last few weeks. Just a guess.
<P ID="signature"></P>
blargg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
The 9th Sage

> but the problem came
> back. Does anyone have a solution to this that would allow
> me to run my games at 60 FPS, as I used to? I would very
> much appreciate any reply at this point, even if it's a wild
> guess... It's been driving me nuts. ><

I don't know...VBA gives me weird problems like that sometimes. I can't find how it was set or why it used to work fine for me before. I think maybe I was using a different build.

Anyway, have you tried any of the VBA-S releases? It's possible they would work better for you.
<P ID="signature">http://www.xanga.com/ZeldaDD
In the post there is a cow...</a></P>

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #5
Sliver X

Disable Vsync.

If that doesn't work, try increasing the sound buffer by small increments until it stops.

It sounds like #1, though; I had that problem all the time with both VBA and FCEU with vysnc.
<P ID="signature"></P>
Sliver X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
Essee

> Disable Vsync.
> If that doesn't work, try increasing the sound buffer by
> small increments until it stops.
> It sounds like #1, though; I had that problem all the time
> with both VBA and FCEU with vysnc.

Tried disabling Vsync, that (unfortunately!) doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Sliver X, is the sound buffer an option within VBA? If so, is it within 1.7.2 (the latest non-beta version, I believe)? I searched all options and could not find it.

The 9th Sage, thanks for the suggestion about VBA-S. I will give that a shot as well, after trying (if I can) the sound buffer option. It doesn't look like it will be a full fix, though, since from what I just read (after I searched for it) GB/GBC emulation is not working as well as it did on the official release.

As for Blargg, no offense, but... how exactly would my computer have gotten slower for no apparent reason recently? I don't think that happens out of the blue, at least...
<P ID="signature"></P>
Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Mikey

It could be a configuration problem. Have you tried deleting vba.ini? The emulator will automatically create a new one with default settings. It might help.
<P ID="signature"></P>
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
SirDaShadow

> I don't think that happens out of the blue, at least...
>
Check for viruses and spyware...also have you installed something recently? check your processes....right click on the toolbar at the bottom and select task manager, then processes
<P ID="signature"></P>
SirDaShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:40 AM   #9
Essee

> Check for viruses and spyware...also have you installed
> something recently? check your processes....right click on
> the toolbar at the bottom and select task manager, then
> processes

I can quote myself, here: "I scanned my computer (even though I was sure there wouldn't be anything to find) and I don't have some random virus/spyware/adware that ONLY targets VBA." And no, I haven't installed anything recently-- in fact, I don't remember even changing ANY settings on ANYTHING lately, that's what's so weird about this. I know that most people aren't knowledgable about viruses or spy/adware (particularly females!), but thankfully that was one of the first couple things I checked after spending forever searching my settings. Would be a good suggestion if I hadn't beaten you to it, though. =)

>It could be a configuration problem. Have you tried deleting
>vba.ini? The emulator will automatically create a new one with
>default settings. It might help.

As I said, I didn't expect my settings were the problem, since I haven't changed them, but I did give what you said a shot anyway... Changed all my settings back to roughly what they were (since I don't like at least half of the default settings), though the INI file was a lot smaller than what I used to have for some reason, waited... It almost sounded like it might have fixed it, but then it popped back up again. Arrrgh! Thanks for the suggestion though. =D
<P ID="signature"></P>
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
Sliver X

Sorry for the lateness, I've been heavily involved with an NES translation lately.

VBA doesn't allow you change the buffer size, apparently. One thing you may want to try is applying "Use Old Synchronization" for the sound engine.

Let me know if that helps.
<P ID="signature"></P>
Sliver X is offline   Reply With Quote