Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Morgoth

Default Nintendo DS

So, I picked up a DS for my birthday last week. I want to get some emulators for it. Well Ive looked around at the hardware I need but still have no idea what to buy, can anyone help me out? I need something that will accept SD cards since I have like 10 already.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Reaper man

are they standard SD cards?

most flash carts take micro SD. Slot one carts are exclusively micro Sd due to size

I wouldn't really bother with emulation on the DS anyway. It doesn't have enough resolution to properly display console game resolutions.

The only one I would recommend is lameboyDS (I think that's what it's called) so that you have game oy emulation on the go.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Morgoth

they're standard size SD cards not micro I imagine something can plug into the GBA slot though. I did'nt realize about the resolution, but I've heard theres a c compiler for the ds which sounds pretty nifty, it would be intersting to write for something other than a PC.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
The 9th Sage

Yep, for standard size SD cards you will probably have to hunt something down a slot-2 flashcard that takes them (I'm pretty sure there are no Slot-1 cards that would take a standard sized SD...they'd be way too large). Keep in mind that you would also need something such as a NoPass (a card to boot the flashcart in the GBA slot in DS mode). You may have to hunt a little, I think the ones that take standard SD may be a bit older, though I'm sure there are some.

These days, unless your heart is really set on it, I'd tell you to get a slot-1 card. In some ways they are much easier to deal with (at least in my personal experience). The slot-2 cards do have some benefits though. Many of them have GBA compatibility, and as such have built in memory that can be used with homebrew such as DS Linux and Quake 2 DS.

And personally, I like emulation on the DS. :P It is true that (for example) SNES games don't quite fit. They are still very playable though usually (and there are some scaling options, depending on the emu you choose).

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
eSPy

personally, i would go with a slot 1 card with a micro sd as well. both are reletavly cheep now so price wont be a concern. if anything, a slot 2 solution would probably be more expensive than buying a slot 1 + micro SD. Another disadvantage of slot 2 is that most (if not all) of the carts have a battery inside for saving.

if you are set on using your SD cards, i have found this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15848

no idea if it is any good or not though.

another thought if you dont want to use any aditional media, is getting a slot 2 flash card that plugs into your computer via USB. here is an example: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13363

p.s. emulation on the DS is getting better and better so if you have a DS, there is no excuse for not having a card for playing homebrew or emulators.
eSPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
The 9th Sage

Well, I have a Supercard DS ONE (the Slot-1 flavor of Supercard) and it's done right by me, so if the slot-2 is similar, it should be a good buy. Besides, that's dirt cheap.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
eSPy

just too add on. found another slot-2 card that uses SD if you are still looking http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15852
eSPy is offline   Reply With Quote