Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
larienna

Default Is there a WII Wad emulator for PC

It seems that some people have succesfully hacked the WII in order to download WAD files (those bought from the online store) from the net and upload them on the WII.

So I was wondering, is there a PC software that could read those wad files in order to play them on the PC.

The main reason why I am asking is because I want to play the new "megaman 9" and I don't have a WII or any other recent VG console.
larienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
The 9th Sage

I'm so tired of the VC/Wiiware pirates. They are probably a good part of the reason Nintendo has tried (but failed so far) to combat homebrew in recent updates to the System Menu.

To answer your question, no. You don't 'emulate the WAD', you would have to emulate the entirety of the Wii, and there isn't really anything that does that yet (Dolphin isn't far enough along, that doesn't count), not to mention that for it to run well you'd probably need a damn good system. Just wait and hope they release a PC version (wouldn't be the first time there has been a Megaman game released for PC). It is well worth PURCHASING. It's a really good game, that lives up to what Megaman should be.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Reaper man

you know, there's a part of me that wonders if it actually is an NES rom disguised as wiiware. That would be pretty neat XD.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
hcs

Notice how the fade is smooth rather than palette shifting, and also how the sprite flickering can be disabled.
Not to mention a bunch of interface issues that make it improbable, those were just the most noticeable ones for me. They really did an impressive job, though.
hcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
Ugly Joe

From Gamasutra:

Quote:
GS:Essentially, this game isn't actually a Famicom game. If it were burned to a cartridge, it wouldn't actually run on a Famicom. It is a duplication of the Famicom capabilities, but within a modern game engine and technology.

HT: Well, when you put it that way... (laughter) This couldn't fit on a Famicom cartridge. It's too big. It's too much for that. It's really emulating the old style of games. But we're hoping that when people play, they feel the same nostalgia that they have when they play the original games.
So, no, confirmed to not be an NES rom.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
Reaper man

aww that's just disappointing. It feels less "pure" now. That would be so awesome if they managed to pull off programming it in an NES environment, so to speak.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
larienna

If the game is released for PC for 10$, I would probably buy it. It's just that I won't buy a Wii to buy a 10$ game.

So it seems that a wii wad emulator is out of the question because there is too much stuff directly in the hardware ... like always.
larienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
aww that's just disappointing. It feels less "pure" now. That would be so awesome if they managed to pull off programming it in an NES environment, so to speak.
The thing is, even though it isn't a NES ROM, they have done an amazing job replicating the ways a NES would do things (even down to having sprite flickering, and obeying the sprite limit, the palette, the music, things like that). I have a friend who knows the NES inside and out, and he was even fooled for awhile.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Umiliphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larienna View Post
If the game is released for PC for 10$, I would probably buy it. It's just that I won't buy a Wii to buy a 10$ game.
That is also one of my problems. As much as I assume I would like the new Megaman game, that sort of thing: asinine 2-d hopping and bopping on a proper sized screen will still continue to be rather a rare sight. And I'm certainly not going to buy a fancy new doohickey to obtain the privilege of re-buying old games which I've already beaten.

I have not, at this time, pursued emulating the game, though, assuming (which this thread suggests to me I should not) it's even possible. That does seem like it would be slightly more wrong than my usual shifty business for some reason.

Last edited by Umiliphus; 09-27-2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: I can juggle
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:57 AM   #10
Mxy

Gah! Dope!
Mxy is offline   Reply With Quote