Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Broadus

Default Editing/Adding AI

I've been loving all over a GBA game called The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ever since it came out a couple years ago and I wanted to modify a ROM of it so that allies would follow the player and fight instead of running off screen all the time. The game has great AI for teammates but they're rarely around.
I'm wandering, is it possible to hack a ROM to add in certain monsters to certain places or replace one kind of monster with another?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
haloboycs

Default Re: Editing/Adding AI

wandering != wondering
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
Broadus

Right, because my spelling and grammar is by far more important than answering my question.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
MooglyGuy

> What does that mean?

It means you need to learn to spell.

On an entirely different note, to do what you want to do, you'll have to learn how to program in ARM assembly language, how to understand a disassembly of game code, and have at least a month or two of spare time in order to trace through the code to find the appropriate routines. If all of that is gibberish to you, then the best advice I can give is to just give up.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
Broadus

Yeah, that's real helpful. And thanks for being friendly and all about it, y'know?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:03 AM   #6
CEpeep

> Yeah, that's real helpful. And thanks for being friendly and
> all about it, y'know?
>

Forgive him for being blunt. That's just the way he is. He is right, though. It's going to take a lot of work if you're going to acomplish something like that, if it's even possible. As he said, the first thing you're going to need to know is ARM Assembly code for the GBA. If you're serious about doing this, GBADev.org is a good place to get started learning. Hopefully you have some prior programming experience. If not, you're going to have a hell of a time learning Assembly as your first one.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:41 AM   #7
Broadus

Thanks, man. I might really work at it because I've always wanted to play Return of the King with more allies. I always wandered why the makers of the game decided that the player would get allies in some areas but in other areas allies would simply run off screen and abandon the player.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:00 AM   #8
phonymike

it'd be alot easier (and actually possible) to use an emulator's built in cheat search function, and just set the variable for how many allies you have to a certain amount. it'd also be a ton easier to find the one command in the game that changes this value and then simply overwrite it to a nop.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
(wraith_)

> > What does that mean?
>
> It means you need to learn to spell.

Attacks on spelling on the internet: for when there's nothing else to attack.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #10
MooglyGuy

> > > What does that mean?
> >
> > It means you need to learn to spell.
>
> Attacks on spelling on the internet: for when there's
> nothing else to attack.

As opposed to you, who always manages to find something to attack? You're no different from me. You're just as much of an arrogant jackass as I am, if not moreso.

It's not even just attacking spelling on the Internet - if I saw someone spell it that way in person, I'd ask them what the hell they thought they were doing. Anyway, it's less of an attack and more an exclamation of amazement. I'm willing to grant people some simpler things like swapping too/to, their/there and other homonyms, but "wandering" and "wondering"? They don't even sound the same. I could understand "wundering", but what sort of derailed train of thought leads someone to put that 'a' in there? I'm genuinely curious and could use some insight.
Closed Thread