Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Lobster Cowboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,836
Default say what you want about michael moore...

but i thought this was pretty cool of him: http://www.sundayherald.com/43167

i've got it downloading on bittorrent right now. nice to see someone thumb their nose at the MPAA. this reminds me of when the smashing pumpkins released Machina II: The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music on MP3, totally screwing virgin records

<P ID="signature"><img src=http://www.lobsterstudios.com/images/lobsterranx.jpg>
</img></P>
Lobster Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
Danoz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,903
Default Re: say what you want about michael moore...

Yea, that is very cool of Moore. I'll give kudos where it's due without packing excess critisizm of other things (I hate it when people compliment and then follow it by an underlining critisizm... the way Kerry does everytime he says something good about Bush). Nice job Moore! I'll be happy to pirate the film! More artists really need to feel this way about thier work. <img src=smilies/thumb.gif>

“Is it wrong for someone who’s bought a film on DVD to let a friend watch it for free? Of course it’s not. It never has been and never will be. I think information, art and ideas should be shared.”

Nice quote, too. Moore is totally on my line of sight here.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
Ugly Joe
Senior Member
 
Ugly Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,461
Default Re: say what you want about michael moore...

> this reminds me
> of when the smashing pumpkins released Machina II: The
> Friends and Enemies of Modern Music on MP3, totally screwing
> virgin records

Granted they only did that because Virgin refused to release the Machina II tracks due to poor album sales with Adore...

<P ID="signature"></P>
__________________
Ugly Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
thegodofhellfire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,295
Default Re: say what you want about michael moore...

> this reminds me of when the smashing pumpkins released
> Machina II: The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music on
> MP3, totally screwing virgin records

Yeah, I only found really shitty quality MP3s for that. Whoever made the transfer from the Vinyl copies released did a shitty job of it. Shame, cause it's a really good album, if I remember.

<P ID="signature"></P>
thegodofhellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:44 AM   #5
Ugly Joe
Senior Member
 
Ugly Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,461
Default Re: say what you want about michael moore...

> Yeah, I only found really shitty quality MP3s for that.
> Whoever made the transfer from the Vinyl copies released did
> a shitty job of it. Shame, cause it's a really good album,
> if I remember.

IIRC, there were two good transfers from vinyl (Q101 and some other one). The copy I have (the Q101 copy) is definately a good one (SHN sourced instead of mp3, so there's no loss due to compression). They had some high quality mp3s of it on their official site before they closed it down. If you're interested I should be able to find a site or two still hosting it. Also note that the album never got properly mixed/mastered, so some songs sound hissy or faded, even on the vinyl copies (or so I'm led to believe).

<P ID="signature"></P>
__________________
Ugly Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:52 AM   #6
thegodofhellfire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,295
Default Re: say what you want about michael moore...

> If you're interested I should be able to find a site or two still
> posting it. Also note that the album never got properly
> mixed/mastered, so some songs sound hissy or faded, even
> on the vinyl copies (or so I'm led to believe).

Hmm, it was the 320kb/s files from the site I got too. How queer. But if you can point me towards a host with the lossless files, I'd muchly appreciate it. Thanks!

<P ID="signature"></P>
thegodofhellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:21 AM   #7
mrfreeze
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,158
Default Re: say what you want about michael moore...

> but i thought this was pretty cool of him:
> http://www.sundayherald.com/43167

> i've got it downloading on bittorrent right now. nice to
> see someone thumb their nose at the MPAA. this reminds me
> of when the smashing pumpkins released Machina II: The
> Friends and Enemies of Modern Music on MP3, totally screwing
> virgin records
>
Now I don't feel too bad about downloading it last week. ^^

<P ID="signature"><image src=http://imageshack.us/files/donsig2.gif></P>
mrfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
Ugly Joe
Senior Member
 
Ugly Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,461
Default Re: say what you want about michael moore...

> Hmm, it was the 320kb/s files from the site I got too. How
> queer. But if you can point me towards a host with the
> lossless files, I'd muchly appreciate it. Thanks!

Ok, i looked into it a bit more. There's four copies being distributed: one from the official site, one from spfc.org, one form Q101, and one called the "In-House Virgin Promo". The Q101 copy used to be called the best copy, but apparently the Virgin one only recently surfaced and is supposed to be of better quality.

I couldn't find a site with a lossless format, but I'll keep looking. http://www.sharingthegroove.orgSharing the Groove</a> had a torrent of it going for a while (see http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgb...&postid=847824here</a>, ) but it seems to be down now. I'll probably beg for a reseed later tonight since I'd like to hear this version of it. Also, there's always the http://my-mistake.net/tsphub/Smashing Pumpkins DC hub</a>, though you have to register to get onto it now and the admins are very strict about just about everything. If I find anything else I'll post it here.

<P ID="signature"></P>
__________________
Ugly Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Contact Us - Zophar's Domain - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.