Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 12-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
gutzsant

If it isn't playing but it shows as it does, check your default output directory. That's how Winamp encodes into other formats. You might already have the files in mp3.
Regardless of that, I'm going to give you instructions so that you can customize your files in whatever way you want:
1. I would recommend you that you switch to Winamp classic skin since that's the one I use in these instructions.
2. Go to Preferences -> Skins -> Classic Skins -> Classic Visualization. Make sure you mark "No visualization". This will disable the visualization bars that appear below the timer.

3. Check your input plug-ins, just to make sure that you have properly installed 64th Note V1.1.

4. Go to Plug-ins -> Output and select Nullsfot Disk Writer v2.14.

5. This is important: if you don't configure Nullsfot Disk Writer, you won't see how it outputs your files. Make sure you configure and change it to your personal preferences. The options are self-explanatory. I recommend you to check 'Display "save as" dialog for every file'. If this option is not enabled, the files will be automatically written in your default output directory without you even noticing.

6. After doing all the previous steps, simply play the file as you normally would. If you enabled 'Display "save as" dialog for every file', you will have the chance to select the filename and directory. If not, after the file you are playing finishes, check your default output directory. There you will find your converted file.

I hope that, with these instructions, you will now be able to convert your usf files into mp3 without problems.
gutzsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
m_jordan

Ok, I'm very proud to say I'm near done..I figured out how the converter works. There's only one more issue: I don't have the "Lame MP3" converter option under the disk writer.

These are the options that I have: ACELP.net, CCITT A-Law, CCITT u-Law, DSP Group True Speech(TM), GSM 6.0, IMA ADPCM, Microsoft ADPCM, Microsoft G723.1, MPEG Layer-3, PCM, Windows Media Audio V1, Windows Media Audio V2

Do any of these other options work for encoding to a format MP3's can play? I had originally used Windows Media Audio V2, and it was able to be played by Windows Media and Synched to an MP3, but when played on the MP3 it failed to play because the format wasn't supported. So is there one that I should use out of that list, or is there a way to download and get that "Lame MP3" addition to the DiskWriter?

Other than this, everything's worked! Thank you!
m_jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
gutzsant

Select "MPEG Layer-3". That's MP3. When you chose it, it will appear in the description as "Lame MP3".
Old 12-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
m_jordan

Ok it works, thanks a bunch! There's only one question though: is it supposed to be an octave higher than it normally is? Once it converted over, it's higher pitched then before. I was wondering if it was supposed to do that, or if there's something I did wrong or any way to change it? Other than that, everything's great! Thanks!

It may not even be higer, it may be faster? I'm not sure...maybe that's it? The only things I had turned on were: "Display 'save as' for every file," and "Convert to Format" above the format box. It never turned over to Lame-MP3, it remained as Mpeg-3 or whatever. But it still worked. Hope that offers some light, if any.

Last edited by m_jordan; 12-18-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
gutzsant

Yes, it can be made higher depending on the type of MP3 output that you selected. The default one in my Winamp is 48000 Hz, 320 kbps CBR, Stereo 39kb/s, which is an extremely high quality and a big filesize. But, to be honest, you probably don't need more than 22050 Hz, 128 kbps, ABR, Stereo 15 kbps. You should try different configurations and test the files to see which ones have the better filesize and the closer quality to your needs.
I probably installed LAME some time ago for other reasons. If you really want to use LAME, go here: http://lame.sourceforge.net/ As you have seen, it is not needed, but several people find it to be a great encoder and it's completely free and open source.
I'm not really into music, so what quality and encoder would be best for you should be recommended by someone else. Other than that, I think you should now be able to convert any kind of emulated music into mp3 or other formats.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #16
m_jordan

The one you suggested of the 22050 Hz was the one I needed. Thank you very much for your help through this, and hopefully this forum can be of use to anyone else who might need it for the same reasons.