Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 09-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Drognar

Default Recommend a PSX Graphics plugin

When it comes to find plugins for my psx emulator(pcsx) I seem to be between 2 equally annoying extremes-at one end high-quality perfect graphics but everything gos waaaaaaaaay too fast, the other end the graphics are thrown all over the place, tons of scrambled figures,etc, but the speed is at least playable. Since you probably want to hear my PC specs here they are
Proccesor-Intel Core Dou @ 2.20x2
Ram-1022 MB
Graphics Card-NVIDIA GeForcce 8800M GS
Free Space-over 30 GB
I know my laptops more than a little overqualified and that is kinda of the problem. So please recommend a plugin that has quality graphics but isn't insanely fast.
thanx in advance!
Drognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Reaper man

if you use pete's plugins, you can cap the framerate slowing it down to normal speed

Last edited by Reaper man; 09-21-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Reaper man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Drognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
if you use pete's plugins, you can cap the framerate slowing it down to normal speed
Wait a minute, I feel like retard, theres a button that defines all the settings to high quality called "nice" that appearantly slows things down!

Last edited by Reaper man; 09-21-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Don't mind me, just fixing my stupid typos
Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Drognar

One more thing on the "nice" preset option everything runs great except I notice a MAJOR slow down in battle, anything I can do to fix that?
BTW-I'm trying to play FFIX.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drognar View Post
One more thing on the "nice" preset option everything runs great except I notice a MAJOR slow down in battle, anything I can do to fix that?
BTW-I'm trying to play FFIX.
Hm...not having played FF IX (and not having it here to test) I can't be sure, but are there any framebuffer effects being used (blurring, things like that)? If so, try playing with those settings and find out what works best on your system. Also, I had a few issues with slowdown myself when playing the game Chrono Cross that actually had more to do with the settings of my audio plug-in than the graphics plug-in, so make sure you check your other plug-ins as well (in that case, I was using Eternal SPU, and changing the sound sync setting fixed the problem).

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Drognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Hm...not having played FF IX (and not having it here to test) I can't be sure, but are there any framebuffer effects being used (blurring, things like that)? If so, try playing with those settings and find out what works best on your system. Also, I had a few issues with slowdown myself when playing the game Chrono Cross that actually had more to do with the settings of my audio plug-in than the graphics plug-in, so make sure you check your other plug-ins as well (in that case, I was using Eternal SPU, and changing the sound sync setting fixed the problem).
Well I'm using Eternal SPU right now, your saying that was the problem right?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drognar View Post
Well I'm using Eternal SPU right now, your saying that was the problem right?
No no, for some reason the sound sync setting I had used was causing the game to slow way down. I tried them all out, and one of them worked better with that game for me. Your mileage may vary of course, but something to try out.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Umiliphus

The Playstation Final Fantasies are rendering a lot more objects or surfaces or whatever during the battles than at any other time, when it would be just the main character and terrain or just people walking around and the single standard resolution background. At least, that was how I justified the same sudden slowing happening to me. Although, curiously, the computer I used three years ago had no such trouble. I wonder if the latest versions of the plug-ins are too good for their own good, but that seems unlikely.

Last edited by Umiliphus; 09-21-2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Someone stole my parentheses
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
Zero

If you're using Pete's plugins you can go into video plugin config -> special game fixes, and select the option 'G4 Polygon Cache' for FF9 battle mode. It might not completely fix things, but it might help a little.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
devilmaycry1979

nevermind..you guys already mentioned pete and the nice setting an audio...good job guys.
devilmaycry1979 is offline   Reply With Quote