Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
killthechikenz

Default LoZ Minish Cap for NES...T-Eng?

Hey, well I've been trying to pick up on editing and translating NES Roms for awhile, but have realized that I just don't have the time. So I was wondering if anyone here with experience would like to translate it for me? I've got pirate, chinese NES roms of: LoZ - The Minish Cap, Final Fantasy 7, Harvest Moon, Pokemon Gold, LoZ - Link's Awakening, & Phantasy Star 4 (I've found a patch for FF7 already, so it's translated.) and would like to have them all translated to english eventually. The Minish Cap for NES is great (and turn-based) so I feel the (other than FF7) this would be the most important to start with. It's not very fun to play an RPG in a language I do not understand, and I know many people feel the same way so help out! Also, if you would like to translate the ROM I would gladly give you all of the rare pirate roms I've collected in return (if you don't already have them). That is all I can offer. Thanks!
killthechikenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
InVerse

There's no such thing as "rare" ROMs unless you've dumped it yourself and not given a single copy out and store it on offline media only (and even then, I wouldn't put it past certain people to break into your house and steal it.) All of those games you've listed are well known.

As for getting them translated... Good luck. In then more than a decade I've been translating ROMs, I've seen a grand total of 2 times that someone requested a translation on a forum and got it without shelling out a fair amount of cash.

Most of those Chinese pirate games are f'd up enough that it's going to be extremely difficult for the average neophyte hacker to accomplish much with them and an experienced hacker most likely already has plenty of projects in the works.

Not trying to flame you here, but if you don't care enough to put the work into a project, they why would anyone else?
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
killthechikenz

I understand your point...my bad. Well I'm willing to pay then, anyone name a price
Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
InVerse

Well, I figure a project like that will require at least 50 hours of solid work. I'm willing to work for minimum page, so $7.25 x 50 hours would be $362.50 that would have to be paid up front. Any additional hacking would be billed at the same rate, due upon completion of the project.

Of course, that's purely for the hacking side of things. A Chinese translator will also have to be procured, but there won't be any way of calculating the cost of that until the script is extracted so that we know how much text there is in need of translation. I may know someone who would do it for $10/hour but we'll have to get the script extracted before that's worth discussing.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #5
killthechikenz

Wow, that's insane. Well I could translate the script from Chinese to English myself...but I don't know how to hack the rom.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
InVerse

Most of the experienced hackers that saw this thread said there was no way in hell they'd ever consider hacking a ROM for as cheap a price as I listed.

Are you actually fluent in Chinese? If so, you might be able to convince someone to work with you. However, if you were planning on looking the Chinese up in a dictionary, you'd be more likely to convince someone to stab you in the face, because it won't work.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
killthechikenz

i do
Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthechikenz View Post
i do
You may now kiss the bride have fluency in Chinese, or planning to look it up in the dictionary?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #9
killthechikenz

I'm fluent in Chinese
Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthechikenz View Post
I'm fluent in Chinese
well, you may possibly be in luck. All you need now is a hacker and you can collaborate in making a hack project together. As long as you are doing SOMETHING, then other hackers will usually be happy and help.