Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
Jathys

Exclamation Harvest Moon (SNES) Thread

I've just got a ton of information I've been sitting on with Harvest Moon, that I decided to start this thread. Releases, information, ideas, whatever (as long as it's Harvest Moon related. That said:

HME 4 has been released!

A sample of what's new:
-The new Dialogue Editor automatically adjusts pointers and moves text
-The level editor now edits most of the compressed areas of the game (instead of only the 3 non-compressed ones)
-The palette editor has been simplified and can edit nearly every palette in the entire game (and can export palettes for use in TLP)
-Compressed graphics can be exported for use with a tile editor, then imported back into the game

My next tidbit of Harvest Moon news comes tomorrow.

HME 4.01
I am apparently going senile in my old age and left out all the new menus with the release of HME 4. That said, all new areas appeared as solid black in the editor. Re-download and the problem will be fixed.

Last edited by Jathys; 11-14-2008 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Slight update
Jathys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
InVerse

As I've already mentioned elsewhere, whenever I switch from 16x16 to 32x32, HME crashes. No error message or anything, it's just not there anymore. However when I re-open it, it is in 32x32 mode. So anyone using this program should make sure that they have any changes saved before switching modes.

I do have one question: You say that the level editor now edits most compressed areas of the game. What areas are still uneditable? I suppose I could find out by experimenting, but I'd rather know in advance so that I don't end up getting pissed off when I go to edit something and realize I can't.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Jathys

Switching between 16x16 and 32x32 isn't actually a crash. It has to reload a lot of stuff, so it forces you to re-open the program. I figured that most people will just choose a view mode that they prefer and be done with it, so I didn't bother (ie- was lazy) to code in a way to not to have to reload the program.

As for which compressed areas aren't supported yet... I'm not 100% sure. The peak of the mountain isn't supported. All of the other "normal" areas are. Mind you, there are a few festivals that appear to be "in town", which in fact use their own unique data.

Somewhat related note:
There are multiple ranches, mountains, and towns because I'm reading the level data from a pointer table which points to more than just the levels. The 4 ranches, which all use identical level data, have other properties that aren't the same (the 4 seasons).

Another note:
Sorry about level "2D". That is the next entry in the table, but the pointers point to "wrong" information and I haven't looked into it yet (ie- meant to hide that from the list before release, but forgot).
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Jathys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathys View Post
My next tidbit of Harvest Moon news comes tomorrow.
So much for "tomorrow", huh? Well, I never have cared much for deadlines.

While sniff.exe'ing (thanks FuSoYa) for compressed data a few years ago, I found some graphics that I never saw anywhere in the game. Checking on-line turned up nothing either. The only logical conclusion then, was that these were never in the final release of the game.

Anyone who has tinkered around with HME 4.0 may have already noticed the "beta endings" listed in the compressed graphics and palettes. I have no idea how to unlock/re-enable these in the game, but hopefully somebody can figure it out in the future. In any case, there are 4 "beta endings". My favorite ("Perfection") is below:

*Thanks to MathOnNapkins for translating

For the rest of the beta endings, click over to the Harvest Moon Beta Page:
http://jathys.zophar.net/harvestmoon/beta.html

Last edited by Jathys; 11-13-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: broken link
Old 11-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathys View Post
For the rest of the beta endings, click over to the Harvest Moon Beta Page:http://jathys.zophar.net/harvestmoon/beta.html
the images on your site are broken.

the url on there is http://jathys.zophar.net/harvestmoon...hm_scene00.gif
when it should be http://jathys.zophar.net/harvestmoon...hm_scene00.gif
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Jathys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
the images on your site are broken.
Stupid \ instead of /. Hadn't caught that because IE was fixing it for me. Thanks for the info. Fixed.