Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
gutzsant

Default Sega Vision - new Sega hardware

Apparently, Sega will launch a new portable media device:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/03/sega_vision/
http://www.i4u.com/article20635.html
http://www.slashgear.com/sega-vision...-2009-0318218/
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/10/03...e-real-or-not/

This is not exactly emulation related, but I've seen that some have posted new hardware as news, so I thought this might interest you. If so, please put a note in the news section.
gutzsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Umiliphus

Wow, a tv tuner! That will be great for getting a couple local channels until analog service is discontinued in 2009. Supposedly, in the United Kingdom, where that first story seems to originate, the "switchover" is already in progress. Even if "tuner" is supposed to mean something different than that, I can't imagine anyone would intentionally represent their new techno-thingo with the dual antennas a decreasing number of new consumers will recognize.
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
gutzsant

Yeah, it does sound silly. But it seems it's real, although of course. It remains to be seen what exactly it is:
http://www.rpgsite.net/news/281.html
As far as I know, it seems it's merely a mp4 player of sorts. Not videogame related. Anyway, it might not really be worthy of more attention.
gutzsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Haoie

When they said they were getting out of making "gaming" hardware, they weren't kidding!!
Haoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umiliphus View Post
Wow, a tv tuner! That will be great for getting a couple local channels until analog service is discontinued in 2009.
. . .

whoever said it was going to be an analog tuner?

I love the fact that it's being touted as a PSP killer. From what I saw, It'll be only able to play Java based games, so it'll hardly be a gaming handheld. I'd love to see this thing somehow kill off the iTouchmyself though.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
. . .

I love the fact that it's being touted as a PSP killer. From what I saw, It'll be only able to play Java based games, so it'll hardly be a gaming handheld. I'd love to see this thing somehow kill off the iTouchmyself though.
You touch yourself too? Join the club.

Anyway, disturbing imagery aside...in the RPGsite article, Sega claims it's an "MP4" player. I hate it when companies that make PMPs do that. I'm guessing that they (the Sega rep) has no clue what 'MP4' means. It's a damn file format for videos, not video files in general! Just ask the guys who invented the '.AVI', '.WMV', and '.MOV' formats that. Those are the formats that my previous PMP (before it broke) supported, and it was touted as an "MP4" player. Just check here for relevant info on my rant: CLICK THIS TEXT. Secondly, I'm agreeing on what ReapMan said. They could make it Internet-capable, and offer "portable TV" via video podcasts...which is likely what they'll do. Don't quote me on that, though.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
Umiliphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
. . .

To me that was implied through the word "tuner." When I hear "tune" in the context of television I think of rotating little dials and fumbling with signal receiving apparatuses, such as the dopey antennas which comprise the V in the product's name. Nobody tunes their cable... actually, cable isn't even proper terminology. I have a satellite receiver, which I cannot tune, and still get channels designated as "cable." And "channel" is probably imprecise as well. I suppose that should be expected with 80 year old technology, but "tuner" certainly took me by surprise. I don't think I've heard the phrase "stay tuned" in ten years.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #8
Rattlehead

On a related note...

I'm getting kinda tired of hearing about the whole "DTV Transition" thing. Everyone who doesn't live under a rock knows about it by now, so the ads are getting kinda annoying.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
Umiliphus

I feel that way about most ads, except if I can't immediately get my remote-control object to mute them I replace "kinda" with "incredibly."
Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
tebian

I think its cool thing that SEGA is doing some hardware but which part of this says anything about games... Java is not in my books game console status by a long shot. Looks to me like the took the worst parts of the next gen machines and built a machine.

Quote:
Features of the Sega Vision include MP4 movie player, digital TV tuner, MP3 player, 2GB integrated memory, video and photo camera, eBook reader, and Java mini games.
Bring back cartridges and no connect to internet/download/update before playing the game !!
tebian is offline   Reply With Quote