Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 11-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
pipes

Default The tech network and how I am unplugged

I am extremely lonely. It's not that I don't have friends, or know people, it's just that I don't talk to them or keep up with the latest bullshit. I don't feel like it's my fault for becoming so disconnected. The cause of my isolation is that I don't, and can't, communicate on the same networks that everyone has moved on to.

I don't own a cellphone, do not have a (old now)myspace/facebook account. Because I don't have a cellphone that also means I can't tweet(God, how I hate that word). I don't own a xbox. Everyone else does, and these are the mediums that people communicate and socialize with today.

The biggest problem of mine (or the world) is that I don't own a cellphone. I noticed that my stepbrother can get himself a girlfriend and meet up with a friend with just a text message. Calling someone and talking to them on the phone is outdated today. I don't know why cellphones even have a microphone anymore because no one uses them to "talk" other then ordering a pizza or some shit. I have a basic home phone sitting right next to me. The only calls I get is my work to bitch me out about something. Without the ability to text message, I am left in the dark about the latest goings on. I can't afford $100 or more a month to send a few bytes of fucking text.

From the rise of the text message and electronic messaging systems come the social networks. God how I hated these things from the start. Forget privacy, and announce to the world when you take a dump. When I was arrested oh so long ago for vandalism (I was crazy in my teen days), I didn't like the fact that my finger prints went on record along with my picture. Now my shit is "in the system." Back in the day, most people would agree with me and wouldn't want it as well. Today, it's in the norm to the extreme. People will post their pictures, birthday, number of kids that they have, single, in a relationship, married, blood type, and what ever they can get to post to update their "space on the web" coming short of their social security number. I remember that it was common not to start blabbing your personal information on the internet. Sorry I don't like my fucking profile online for any asshole to see. A classic example:
-Post on facebook my new house showing off bigscreen TV, nice sofa, a bunch of nice shit.
-Tweet going out of town for the weekend.
-Come back my shit is gone with a piss stain where my sofa was.

I can't even play multiplayer games with people. Xbox is the biggest thing today. You can talk to people, play online together in a team, text message, and a bunch of shit. The great thing about it is that it costs a shitload of money. Money going to M$ for nothing as it just links up with your friends xboxes. I have GOLD status. If you don't pay the monthly M$ tax, no party chat and multiplayer for you. You're SILVER status. Like you're some kind low class poor fag. I can do ALL OF THIS SHIT ON MY PC FOR FUCKING FREE! Games today are ALL made for the PC then ported to the other consoles with lower graphics. Plus, for most games, they charge an extra $10 from what the PC game is. You would think that because the PC has higher graphics, more compatibility, more functionality, and fucking cheaper, people would choose PC over the other shit... you would think. Exclusive games don't count, as they just got paid off to become exclusive. To top it off, you don't really own game systems anymore. They have basically become glorified cable boxes that you have to pay $500 for, and everything is pay-per-view.

Sorry I don't want to be fucked in the ass with monthly charges to get spied on, marketed, and ass raped just so I can talk with someone. I have a fucking home phone, irc, email, and voice chat on my PC. But whatever...
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #2
InVerse

It seems to me that your biggest problem is a fundamental misunderstanding of technology. I'm not sure what makes you think it costs $100 or more a month to have a cellphone. I don't currently have a cellphone because I'm not working and the reception out here in the country is too poor to justify bothering with a phone for the few hours a month that I could use it, but when I had one last year, I had unlimited text messaging and paid a total of $30/month for the entire service.

Despite not having a cellphone, I still text message constantly via the computer. On average, I probably exchange a few hundred text messages a day with my girlfriend, in addition to chatting on GChat and talking on the phone. (She's attending college four hours away, so our in person time is rather limited until I move out there in the spring.)

I'm not sure why you think you need to have a cellphone to tweet, either. I use Twitter every day despite not having a cellphone. Judging by their clients, only a minority of the people I interact with on Twitter actually use their phones to tweet. Nor do many of them use Twitter to broadcast the mundane details of their life. It's amazing how many people who don't use Twitter think that the people who do just constantly tweet "I am currently doing ____." "Now I'm doing _____ ." when very few people actually use it for such purposes.

You also seem to be under the misimpression that you're required to provide private information to sites like Facebook and MySpace. It's entirely possible to sign up for a Facebook account and communicate with other users without even creating a profile, let alone filling it full of personal data.

As far as Xbox Live goes, I don't think $4.17 a month is anywhere close to "a shitload" of money. Any service that's so cheap that you can get a month of it by working less than 45 minutes at a minimum wage job is pretty cheap by my standards. And you're paying Microsoft for "nothing"? You also have a fundamental lack of understanding as to how bandwidth works. Or do you think that your data is magically traveling between your 360 and your friend's system with nothing in between?

If all games are created on PC and then ported to the consoles, why are there so many games that aren't available for PC? Why are so many top level game developers bitching about how difficult it is to develop for the PS3? Why don't PC games sell as well as console titles? (It's not simply a matter of a lack of dinosaurs, I assure you.)

It sounds to me like you're making up excuses as to why nobody wants to socialize with you. I don't have a cellphone, I have less than 20 total followers/friends on Twitter & Facebook combined (by choice), I don't even have broadband, yet I have a girlfriend (whom I met on OkCupid) and have no problem socializing with people. Your problem isn't with technology, it's solely and squarely wetware related.

Last edited by InVerse; 11-14-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: I seem to be miss some 'ing's.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
pipes

your right!
I should take my tinfoil hat off and go out the door as it's all in my head...
Old 11-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
InVerse

Your problem might be that you're incapable of interacting with anyone who doesn't present precisely the reaction you're seeking in the manner in which you prefer.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
pipes

Yes, that is the point. I am not incapable on interacting, but I'm not going to partake in the latest fad for communication when there are are better alternatives out there that have been in place for years. The thing is that the people that do know this don't care. The people who don't, don't understand and don't care.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
InVerse

So write those people a letter that explains it and mail it to them.

Social networking has been around for more than a decade now. It's not a fad. One particular site or another may turn out to be a fad but the platform itself is not.

Twitter is over four years old and the 10th most visited on the Internet globally. While it might be too soon to say so definitively, it's unlikely to be going away either.

When the telephone came around, people bitched because people called instead of visiting. When email came about, people bitched about nobody writing real letters anymore. They made the same argument you're making and twenty years later, they either adopted the new technology or they're still sitting by the phone/mailbox wondering why they don't have any friends.

To that point... you start off by stating "It's not that I don't have friends, or know people, it's just that I don't talk to them or keep up with the latest bullshit." If you don't talk to them, they're not your friends. They're acquaintances who might have been friends in the past but are no longer.

Friendships are an active relationship that have to be maintained. If you don't maintain them, the relationship ceases to exist. If all of your friends stopped maintaining the relationship all at once, it's not the fault of technology, it's squarely in your own lap.

Stop blaming technology and money on things that you're perfectly capable of fixing. You're not a victim, you're just a crybaby.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
pipes

I haven't excommunicated them, just I don't stay up to date. I should have left out the word never.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Reaper man

on an unrelated note, I merged your account with your old one... enjoy your new post count, join date, etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipes View Post
I haven't excommunicated them, just I don't stay up to date. I should have left out the word never.
Regardless, you're whining about them making no effort when you're making no effort yourself. You're not a victim.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
schmocke

First off, I understand pipes point, as well es InVerses.
For me, this whole "social networking twitter etc. thing" is a pain in the ass. I understand why people use this kind of platforms but I donīt. Do I lose friends because of that? No. Do I miss something? No. Do I know people who use such platforms? Yes.
I think thereīs a big difference of relationships, friendships on- and offline. I do like to meet my friends, talk to them eye in eye, take a drink with them, whatever.
Personally, I canīt talk about a friendship with somebody I never met in reallife. Yes, you can chat with someone whoīs of interest - so you gotta meet him/her in the real world. Perhaps then a relationship develops.
Okay, in regard to cellphones - itīs a standard today and everyone in the western society not beeing homeless can afford a cheap one bundled with a pre-paid card.
Finally, I guess one has to use new technologies carefully, otherwise they use you. By the way - you donīt want a friend who insists of e.g. having a Twitter or Facebook account.
I hope my point of view is understandable, īcause English isnīt my native language. Stay tuned and maintain your real friendships and relationships.
schmocke is offline   Reply With Quote